Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84
Re: The Brown Crown

Well that just about make the perfect crew for my CNG project. Just kidding. Yes I'm getting a real education on the CNG market realities. The Galileo conversion that I went down to Houston for, had a tank good till 2023. Like I said earlier the 18th of this month I'll start at 40 hour course at http://www.nced.com/content/home $450 and another 50 on the last day if you want the State of Oklahoma to certify after you take their test. Of course I will sure take the test, I'm sure certification will be an asset as I familiarize myself with the CNG market.

But such a perfect person to ask a couple questions of, I see some fuel stations are only for school district buses, I'd still like to know their cost GGE. The new products from the industry present themselves as improving mileage, what systems are on your buses -- China made -- Argentina made -- USA made? Does the fuel from CNG tie into the throttle body or do they have their own injectors.

Well however it shakes out I have jumped in with both feet and a little money. It will be good to be in the classroom environment with hands-on hopefully state-of-the-art equipment to work on and learn about.

10 speed 671 Detroit what fun-what gear do you get down to on the steep grades, what RPM at 75?
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #93
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
A couple of before and after pics of the emblem...just have to let the black paint dry overnight and then hit it with a 1000 grain wet/dry paper to take of the paint smudges around the lettering and it will be ready to go back on the bus.
I am late to the party but if you hit it with 1000 1500 then 2000 it will look like chrome!
That is a great resto mod bus! It looks great!
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD Inline 6-71 MidShip
Rated Cap: 79

timmylc, thanks for the nice comments.

Saved up my beer cans and converted them into some new chrome mirrors to match the chrome on the front bumper... I like the way they turned out. Getting ready for a road trip tommorrow, to Pismo Beach, which is on the central California coast for some much needed R&R. Mountains between here and the coast, so I'm thinking only 9 mpg at best, but with the 10 speed, not a problem climbing. Just one grade at 7% so the Crown usually slows down to about 35 - 40 mph through that stretch of highway, but beyond that, a nice senic curvy road at 55!

Here are a few pics of the old and new ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7030a.jpg (735.9 KB, 1365 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1686a.JPG (543.3 KB, 1365 views)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Where`s the camera crew when you need one -
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Love the chrome "west coast" mirrors. Looks great!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #97
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Wondering how the liquid nails are holding up on the ceiling carpet?
I've tried the stuff, not on the ceiling, tho', and didn't work out so well. I just kinda blamed it on the heat and since we seem to about 50 miles apart or so and share the same heat, I thought I'd ask. If it's holding up OK for you maybe I'll try it again if I need it and pay a little more attention to what I'm doing.

Damn, there's a lotta work in your bus - looks great ...

Tom
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD Inline 6-71 MidShip
Rated Cap: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Wondering how the liquid nails are holding up on the ceiling carpet?
I've tried the stuff, not on the ceiling, tho', and didn't work out so well. I just kinda blamed it on the heat and since we seem to about 50 miles apart or so and share the same heat, I thought I'd ask. If it's holding up OK for you maybe I'll try it again if I need it and pay a little more attention to what I'm doing.

Damn, there's a lotta work in your bus - looks great ...

Tom
Tom, thanks for the nice words about the Crown...it has been a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I have not had any problems yet with the ceiling carpet. Since you are out in California City, you know what the summer heat can do. My bus is usually 120 degrees inside when it sits during the summer months. I was concerned that would weaken the glue as well, but so far ok. I went heavy on the glue for that reason. The wood strips at the ceiling joints are also glued up there. They seem to be holding as well. My bus has foam insulation glued to the ceiling and then the carpet on top of that. I think one of the keys is during the application phase, go slow so that the glue has enough time to bond to the area you are working in. Also, if you use a regular grade carpet with backing, that is going to be a lot heavier than the indoor/outdoor type I eventually went with. Got it at Home depot and did the entire ceiling for about $150.

BC
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #99
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
My bus is usually 120 degrees inside when it sits during the summer months. I was concerned that would weaken the glue as well, but so far ok. I went heavy on the glue for that reason. The wood strips at the ceiling joints are also glued up there. They seem to be holding as well. My bus has foam insulation glued to the ceiling and then the carpet on top of that. I think one of the keys is during the application phase, go slow so that the glue has enough time to bond to the area you are working in. Also, if you use a regular grade carpet with backing, that is going to be a lot heavier than the indoor/outdoor type I eventually went with. Got it at Home depot and did the entire ceiling for about $150.

BC
FWIW I installed a solar powered attic fan in my truck down here in Miami, where the sun hits real good also. I leave the front windows down about 1/2" and the fan in the back moves enough air to keep the inside at the same outside temp. Actually it is cooler when parked under the sun than sitting closed in the shade. Fan has been installed for something like 6 years running unattended and no issues so far.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #100
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

A little info on how I did the carpeted ceiling in my bus.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10764&start=60