Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16
Re: The Brown Crown

Nice...

I just picked up an 800w made by Peak from Sam's Club for under $20... Haven't used it yet, but if it seems to work decent I may pick up a couple more... Not just for the bus, but for the other rigs as well...

dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Dirtygoat, that is a great buy! This new one I put in is a 2000 watt and as I said, I think I'm going to need to upgrade the battery bank if I use it very much. I mainly wanted it to have a backup for the generator. It will run my computer without any problems and I thought that would be much better than having to run the gen when I'm not on shore power. All my lighting in the bus is 12 volt, so with the inverter, I can post here without making anyone else mad having to hear the gen run
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
... This new one I put in is a 2000 watt... It will run my computer without any problems and I thought that would be much better than having to run the gen when I'm not on shore power...
What is the brand/model? I need to be able to run my desktop when the bus isn't moving and I know that it won't run on the RV's Onan because I tried it 3 times on our way out here. Luckily Stacey had a laptop. We have another Onan generator just like it sitting in the bus...in pieces. If we can get it running, we will use that one in the bus until we replace it. I hate Onan. I will not BUY another one.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

New inverter is working well. It is a ProWatt SW 200 I got at Camping World...But of course, found out I needed more battery bank Installed today the second Series 31 Maintenance Free battery to power all the 12 volt lighting. I have 100 watts of solar panels on the roof, but it does take some time to recharge, but adequate for now, at least until some more extra money comes along for more solar panels. The maintenace free batteries are pricey, but worth the bucks as mine are mounted under the cabin and a PITA to get to. Also found that crawling under the bus to fill them with water every month was really a pain. Got those at Sears with a three year warranty...we will see if they last.

To everyone who is posting with their projects, I love the work and I hope you enjoy building as much as I did mine!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Thanks DSM.
I have a roof vent with a fan in the ceiling behind the drivers seat in the living area. It helps really well to vent the air, but it was it is not to quiet. Spent today taking down the old fan guard and built a new cover. Wanted to help dampen the noise and also create more draft suction out the vent. I carpeted the outside of the construction box to help make it match the rest of the ceiling. The new vent opening does create a stronger suction, but is still large enough to allow air flow to keep the fan cool. And much less noise

Here are some pics of the old and the new.

Also put in another Series 31 Deep Cycle battery, so I think I have enough power for now. I now have two of them which run the inverter if needed and 12 volt lighting in the bus, the water pump, and the vent fans. Have to take it to Anaheim next week so we will see how things work out. Lots of California sunshine this time of the year so the solar panels should keep up.
Attached Thumbnails
100_6749b.jpg   100_6745b.jpg   100_6737b.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Still one of my favorite conversions... Looks good...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #87
Bus Crazy

Spent this morning re-grouting some of the tile work that I knocked off. I found that the regular tile mastik that I used really didn't hold the corner and edge pieces very well so I put them back on with Liquid Nails...have not had any problems since. These cabinets are in the living room area and they get bumped into a lot as well. I also have tile on the kitchen counter top and have had no problems with any of those coming loose, even with the amount of water that gets on the top when doing dishes and cooking. If your thinking about tile, if you have a good solid base, should be ok. I wouldn't put it on the floor though because the body of the bus will torque and bend too much and pop them up I think. I'll let things dry overnight and then wipe up the grout residue.

Here are a few before and after pics

Also, Happy Independence Day Everyone
Attached Thumbnails
100_6985b.jpg   100_6982b.jpg   100_6984b.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #88
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Looking good as always,I was looking at the map of cng filling stations and California has lots. Is cng conversion popular there?
http://www.cngprices.com/
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #89
Skoolie

Quote:
Thanks DSM.
I have a roof vent with a fan in the ceiling behind the drivers seat in the living area. It helps really well to vent the air, but it was it is not to quiet. Spent today taking down the old fan guard and built a new cover. Wanted to help dampen the noise and also create more draft suction out the vent. I carpeted the outside of the construction box to help make it match the rest of the ceiling. The new vent opening does create a stronger suction, but is still large enough to allow air flow to keep the fan cool. And much less noise

Here are some pics of the old and the new.

Also put in another Series 31 Deep Cycle battery, so I think I have enough power for now. I now have two of them which run the inverter if needed and 12 volt lighting in the bus, the water pump, and the vent fans. Have to take it to Anaheim next week so we will see how things work out. Lots of California sunshine this time of the year so the solar panels should keep up.
FWIW currently I drive a cargo van that has a solar powered attic fan as a venting device. Looks are atrocious but has been performing quite good for at least 7 years. The thing moves about 200 cfm which is a respectable quantity.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053
I disassembled it and rearranged the components to make it a lot lower, but other than that is 100% stock.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeflyer
by yankeflyer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:54 am
Looking good as always,I was looking at the map of cng filling stations and California has lots. Is cng conversion popular there?
CNG is quite the going thing here, mainly because the CA Air Resources Board is pushing it. There are many fillig stations here. Nearly all the new metro transits are CNG as are many gov districts and departments. I am not sure how many skoolies are converting however. In the Los Angeles basin area, all new school buses have to be CNG to meet air requirements.

I have 4 CNG school buses in the fleet I manage. One of the things to keep in mind about hidden cost is tank replacement. They are pricey. All of the units on our buses have 4 tanks and get about 250 miles per fill and only average about 7 mpg tops. My Crown is an older 671 Detroit with a 10 speed manual transmission. It has an 85 gallon diesel tank, so my range is about 650 miles per fill. On flat land I will average 10 mpg. If I go over the mountains into the Los Angeles area or out towards Las Vegas, it will take the mpg down to about 9 per gallon.

Thanks for the good words on the tile...your doors are awesome work as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Really nice work........ Gives a whole new meaning to "The Crown Jewels"
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Well that just about make the perfect crew for my CNG project. Just kidding. Yes I'm getting a real education on the CNG market realities. The Galileo conversion that I went down to Houston for, had a tank good till 2023. Like I said earlier the 18th of this month I'll start at 40 hour course at http://www.nced.com/content/home $450 and another 50 on the last day if you want the State of Oklahoma to certify after you take their test. Of course I will sure take the test, I'm sure certification will be an asset as I familiarize myself with the CNG market.

But such a perfect person to ask a couple questions of, I see some fuel stations are only for school district buses, I'd still like to know their cost GGE. The new products from the industry present themselves as improving mileage, what systems are on your buses -- China made -- Argentina made -- USA made? Does the fuel from CNG tie into the throttle body or do they have their own injectors.

Well however it shakes out I have jumped in with both feet and a little money. It will be good to be in the classroom environment with hands-on hopefully state-of-the-art equipment to work on and learn about.

10 speed 671 Detroit what fun-what gear do you get down to on the steep grades, what RPM at 75?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #93
Skoolie

Quote:
A couple of before and after pics of the emblem...just have to let the black paint dry overnight and then hit it with a 1000 grain wet/dry paper to take of the paint smudges around the lettering and it will be ready to go back on the bus.
I am late to the party but if you hit it with 1000 1500 then 2000 it will look like chrome!
That is a great resto mod bus! It looks great!
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

timmylc, thanks for the nice comments.

Saved up my beer cans and converted them into some new chrome mirrors to match the chrome on the front bumper... I like the way they turned out. Getting ready for a road trip tommorrow, to Pismo Beach, which is on the central California coast for some much needed R&R. Mountains between here and the coast, so I'm thinking only 9 mpg at best, but with the 10 speed, not a problem climbing. Just one grade at 7% so the Crown usually slows down to about 35 - 40 mph through that stretch of highway, but beyond that, a nice senic curvy road at 55!

Here are a few pics of the old and new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
100_7030a.jpg   100_1686a.JPG  
Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Where`s the camera crew when you need one -
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Love the chrome "west coast" mirrors. Looks great!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #97
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Wondering how the liquid nails are holding up on the ceiling carpet?
I've tried the stuff, not on the ceiling, tho', and didn't work out so well. I just kinda blamed it on the heat and since we seem to about 50 miles apart or so and share the same heat, I thought I'd ask. If it's holding up OK for you maybe I'll try it again if I need it and pay a little more attention to what I'm doing.

Damn, there's a lotta work in your bus - looks great ...

Tom
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #98
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Wondering how the liquid nails are holding up on the ceiling carpet?
I've tried the stuff, not on the ceiling, tho', and didn't work out so well. I just kinda blamed it on the heat and since we seem to about 50 miles apart or so and share the same heat, I thought I'd ask. If it's holding up OK for you maybe I'll try it again if I need it and pay a little more attention to what I'm doing.

Damn, there's a lotta work in your bus - looks great ...

Tom
Tom, thanks for the nice words about the Crown...it has been a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I have not had any problems yet with the ceiling carpet. Since you are out in California City, you know what the summer heat can do. My bus is usually 120 degrees inside when it sits during the summer months. I was concerned that would weaken the glue as well, but so far ok. I went heavy on the glue for that reason. The wood strips at the ceiling joints are also glued up there. They seem to be holding as well. My bus has foam insulation glued to the ceiling and then the carpet on top of that. I think one of the keys is during the application phase, go slow so that the glue has enough time to bond to the area you are working in. Also, if you use a regular grade carpet with backing, that is going to be a lot heavier than the indoor/outdoor type I eventually went with. Got it at Home depot and did the entire ceiling for about $150.

BC
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #99
Skoolie

Quote:
My bus is usually 120 degrees inside when it sits during the summer months. I was concerned that would weaken the glue as well, but so far ok. I went heavy on the glue for that reason. The wood strips at the ceiling joints are also glued up there. They seem to be holding as well. My bus has foam insulation glued to the ceiling and then the carpet on top of that. I think one of the keys is during the application phase, go slow so that the glue has enough time to bond to the area you are working in. Also, if you use a regular grade carpet with backing, that is going to be a lot heavier than the indoor/outdoor type I eventually went with. Got it at Home depot and did the entire ceiling for about $150.

BC
FWIW I installed a solar powered attic fan in my truck down here in Miami, where the sun hits real good also. I leave the front windows down about 1/2" and the fan in the back moves enough air to keep the inside at the same outside temp. Actually it is cooler when parked under the sun than sitting closed in the shade. Fan has been installed for something like 6 years running unattended and no issues so far.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #100
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

A little info on how I did the carpeted ceiling in my bus.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10764&start=60