Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The bus with no name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPanda
Welcome! Looking forward to following along! I'm just starting out on mine as well.
Nice... When you start... just don't stop. I felt overwhelmed at first. It seems hard to handle because there is so much. I am using Evernote to keep track of the research I do and split it up into categories. pictures, text, handwriting, screenshots, etc, on ANY DEVICE. Very useful. Helps split the project up into much smaller more manageable projects.

Nachowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #22
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB
I love that feeling when the seats first come out.
I know what you mean. It was a PITA. This particular picture is from some time ago. However there was the vertical partition behind the drivers seat that I just took out recently... it felt really good to get the last remnant out.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79

I've got Evernote, I think I'll take your lead and start using it extensively. Great idea.

I had an almost 0% weekend this week. Just a little overwhelmed & frustrated. No idea how to get the ceiling down, if it's riveted or spot riveted, or what, but it's on there tight. I'm not the tool guy, and have never done anything like this, so I had to step back this week and just cuss and glare a bit.

Also looks like I need to take the gas tank out & clean/refinish it, so that will be a good time to use the cutting tools...

Fun!

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachowarrior
Quote:
I love that feeling when the seats first come out.
I know what you mean. It was a PITA. This particular picture is from some time ago. However there was the vertical partition behind the drivers seat that I just took out recently... it felt really good to get the last remnant out.
Whats under that rubber floor? Lucky for me mine was galvanized with no plywood layer to remove!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've got Evernote, I think I'll take your lead and start using it extensively. Great idea.

I had an almost 0% weekend this week. Just a little overwhelmed & frustrated. No idea how to get the ceiling down, if it's riveted or spot riveted, or what, but it's on there tight. I'm not the tool guy, and have never done anything like this, so I had to step back this week and just cuss and glare a bit.

Also looks like I need to take the gas tank out & clean/refinish it, so that will be a good time to use the cutting tools...

Fun!
Too bad we're on separate coasts, I'd be more than happy to bring the air hammer and chisel set.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #26
Almost There

Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL99 ... lpage#t=91

I will be putting one of these either in my shower (plan to lift the ceiling in that area) or near the wood stove for fast winter time drying.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Gotta love the Kiwi accent, eh?

I'm also a fan of the fold out rack. $28 on Amazon with free shipping isn't too bad: Polder Wall-Mount 24-Inch Accordion Clothes Dryer, White.

On a separate note, is anyone else getting sick of hearing all this "tiny house" terminology? I'm not calling my bus a tiny house.. it's a home-made RV. RV's have been "tiny houses" for a long, long time.
Even worse are the folks that build a giant, bulky, environmentally friendly "tiny house" on a trailer only to pull it around the country at 3 mpg. Sheesh... I'm all for being green, but let's look at the big picture here.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty

I'm also a fan of the fold out rack. $28 on Amazon with free shipping isn't too bad: Polder Wall-Mount 24-Inch Accordion Clothes Dryer, White.

On a separate note, is anyone else getting sick of hearing all this "tiny house" terminology? I'm not calling my bus a tiny house.. it's a home-made RV. RV's have been "tiny houses" for a long, long time.
Even worse are the folks that build a giant, bulky, environmentally friendly "tiny house" on a trailer only to pull it around the country at 3 mpg. Sheesh... I'm all for being green, but let's look at the big picture here.
I know a lot of "tiny house" people and I have to agree with you. Another thing- of all those "tiny house" people I don't know of a single one who actually lives in those things. And they cost about 40k! There seriously is a "company" down the road selling insulated sheds on utility trailers to rich hipsters and yuppies and they are paying 20-40 grand for these little grown-ups versions of "club houses". To each his or her own I guess.
I'll have less than 10k in my bus when I'm done and will be living in it getting double the mileage of my parents RV or my neighbor's "tiny house".
When I was in Denver I did see someone in the Lodo area living in what looked like a ten foot long tiny house. But most of them are marketing tools.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
Almost There

Quote:
Quote:

I know a lot of "tiny house" people and I have to agree with you. Another thing- of all those "tiny house" people I don't know of a single one who actually lives in those things. And they cost about 40k! There seriously is a "company" down the road selling insulated sheds on utility trailers to rich hipsters and yuppies and they are paying 20-40 grand for these little grown-ups versions of "club houses". To each his or her own I guess.
I'll have less than 10k in my bus when I'm done and will be living in it getting double the mileage of my parents RV or my neighbor's "tiny house".
When I was in Denver I did see someone in the Lodo area living in what looked like a ten foot long tiny house. But most of them are marketing tools.
I think that the definition is getting 'blurred' or hasn't really been well defined for most people. I have been looking at this stuff for years, and I think that "tiny house" was adopted because it doesn't give the low rent feel of "trailer" or "mobile home" but alludes more to high quality and less of it. Most tiny home people won't come out and say anything because they're living full time in them, which is illegal in most places. Less people know, less chance to get busted.

Anyway, I like tiny houses and school buses, and all sorts of unconventional efficient living spaces. From the knowledge that I have gained, and knowing how many semi's i see on the roads (which are filled with consumer bullshit most of the time), I can tell you that a few hundred thousand tiny homes being drug around aren't going to make a significant impact on the environment, and here is why: A true 'tiny home' consumes loads less water, loads less electricity, they generally use solar which is next only to nuclear for lowest fatality (realted illness'/ accidents/catastrophes) rate to produce, and yes, that includes major nuclear meltdowns. Lower consumption in general really, including all the junk on those semi's i mentioned. I burn off more in natural gas to heat my 100+ year old house in a month than I do in gas commuting to work and back for the same time period, which is absurd. I could push my skoolie 400+ miles down the road on just the cost of my current monthly energy bill. The steak you eat produces more methane which (according to 'the sky is falling' global warming fanatics) is being produced at a rate high enough to deplete our ozone layer. There are more cows (by weight) in America than humans. (going off terrible memory on that one, correct me if i'm wrong) The big cultural push toward living smaller is deemed as "the tiny house movement", somewhere along the line, that gets fuzzy or people don't quite understand it and they end up mislabeling what they THINK is a tiny home for someone that is not themselves....

Having said that, I do hate it when I see some trash heap opportunist trying to sell "tiny homes" that are a)built like garbage b)are depressing
that's the EXACT OPPOSITE of why we buy skoolies, and why we build tiny homes. It's about happiness and what living smaller can do to re-arrange your priorities in life.
Check this guy out, he seriously puts a simple, straightforward, non-time wasting spin on it that really resonates with me. And it's not all "hippie love bs" it's presented in a logical
way with the thesis based entirely on simple math that I think most Americans forgot how to do. Okay, he does mention some social stuff, but doesn't drone on with abstracts.
http://youtu.be/wYhtKE-oEEM
"...it doesn't really matter how you paint that picture, what matters is that there is a lot of options that open up..."

So really, what someone wants to call it, doesn't bother me. The opportunism does. It's now a real market and there will be non-grass roots people that don't really understand the fundamentals of why we do these things. To me "tiny house" or "tiny home" can be anything, but the term "home" can really only be used by the occupant of said home. If someone lives in it, loves it, and it's small, I will accept "tiny home" or any other terminology that individual wishes to call it. That's what freedom's all about. :-p

About cost, I think it's all about what you wanna put in it. If i planned to never build another home again, I think that 40k dollars (total) would be well within reason. For me that 40k would have to be very high quality and long lasting. Watch that vid and you'll see what I'm on about.

hey wait... I'm off work today, Time go to work on the bus.

EDIT: On the subject of what a tiny home or skoolie, or otherwise mobile/small/connected home. Here is Dee: http://youtu.be/A47JaOMDH4c
err... Fair warning: it may be sort of difficult for some to watch. IE: might not be a good thing to watch in public or at work if you're not comfortable bringing up very personal subjects in said company.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Anyone who has 40k burning a hole in your pocket- I'll build you a tiny home.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #31
Almost There

I just wanted to share what evernote looks like when used with low to mediocre skill. :-p
Attached Thumbnails
e-notebus-eg.PNG  
Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
EDIT: On the subject of what a tiny home or skoolie, or otherwise mobile/small/connected home. Here is Dee: http://youtu.be/A47JaOMDH4c
err... Fair warning: it may be sort of difficult for some to watch. IE: might not be a good thing to watch in public or at work if you're not comfortable bringing up very personal subjects in said company.
I have no problem with all these ideals. I, personally, have been living a relatively minimalist lifestyle for a decade or so. All of the skoolie lifers are in the same boat. I know many people who are living in what are essentially cabins who are also doing the same thing. In a sense, I'd say that video is simply preaching to the choir here at skoolie.net.

My problem lies in the "tiny home" buzzword and its many evangelists. It's this "new" old idea that has popped up recently and seems to be on the tongue of every trendy yuppie. A means for marketing; something to talk about in a couch circle. But then, I'm just a young curmudgeon

It's important to remember that only 2 or 3 generations ago, most people in North America were also living the minimalist lifestyle. Western culture has had a stint of prosperity well beyond the rest of the world, but the playing field is levelling. We don't need giant wooden boxes cruising around the interstates to change the direction of the consumer world. People just need to learn to live within their ever shrinking means. Modestly sized houses and apartments are ok. Stay out of debt. Consume if you want to, but don't be manipulated by advertising. To be honest, I expect that most tiny housers will be living back in their parent's basements in a year or two (no disrespect there! I'm currently typing this in a parent's basement ) since living in a small space is not for everyone...

This was not meant to offend. The hope is that it simply comes across as a slightly differing perspective, still along the same vein.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #33
Almost There

Quote:
Quote:
I have no problem with all these ideals. I, personally, have been living a relatively minimalist lifestyle for a decade or so. All of the skoolie lifers are in the same boat. I know many people who are living in what are essentially cabins who are also doing the same thing. In a sense, I'd say that video is simply preaching to the choir here at skoolie.net.

My problem lies in the "tiny home" buzzword and its many evangelists. It's this "new" old idea that has popped up recently and seems to be on the tongue of every trendy yuppie. A means for marketing; something to talk about in a couch circle. But then, I'm just a young curmudgeon

It's important to remember that only 2 or 3 generations ago, most people in North America were also living the minimalist lifestyle. Western culture has had a stint of prosperity well beyond the rest of the world, but the playing field is levelling. We don't need giant wooden boxes cruising around the interstates to change the direction of the consumer world. People just need to learn to live within their ever shrinking means. Modestly sized houses and apartments are ok. Stay out of debt. Consume if you want to, but don't be manipulated by advertising. To be honest, I expect that most tiny housers will be living back in their parent's basements in a year or two (no disrespect there! I'm currently typing this in a parent's basement ) since living in a small space is not for everyone...

This was not meant to offend. The hope is that it simply comes across as a slightly differing perspective, still along the same vein.

That's pretty much the point. I was mostly just stating that not everybody gets it, and there are people out there that fall in that bucket that are genuine.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Shoot I been Tiny Homing for years in my 728 sq ft mobile home on my paid for property. $135 for property tax last year and dirt cheap utilities.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Great post.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #36
Almost There

moAr pikturez! yay!
Attached Thumbnails
image005.jpg   image002.jpg   image004.jpg  
Old 12-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #37
Almost There

Quote:

Fun!
I zipped out my walls this weekend with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. I even used the cut off wheel to cut a + into the stubborn stripped screws, and that made it easy work for a hammer and pry bar. Might be easier just to use the grinder, and grind em off. If you don't own one, you can get one as little as 30-40 bucks i think at big box hardware stores.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #38
Almost There

I was wondering if anyone had any input on taking out the heater and lines. I really dont want to build around them and i will have independent heat going down the road. Do they serve any other function other than as a heater?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Nope they're just heaters.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Unless your engine is overheating, in which case they become auxiliary radiators! I don't wish this on anyone, but I've been there: a scorching hot day, an engine getting close to overheating, and the heaters cranked