Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The bus with no name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Unless your engine is overheating, in which case they become auxiliary radiators! I don't wish this on anyone, but I've been there: a scorching hot day, an engine getting close to overheating, and the heaters cranked
I had seriously thought about this as I have spent my fair share of time in old dilapidated vehicles, and overheating IS a real concern in any region where it gets hot outside. What do you guys think about removing the heater core, and mounting it in with the radiator, I should have room in there.

Time to think aloud (with a keyboard). So if I use the heater core as an 'axillary radiator', the thermostat should pick up the slack and keep it at the proper temp. So I can just keep in the loop, mount it in the radiator bay, and cut out the extra 90 or so feet of hose right?

Nachowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

The other thing to consider is that 90 feet of hose also feeds your front heater and defroster
for the windshield. So if you only camp in good clear weather that is always dry and warm
you might want to keep the defroster and heater for the occasional cold humid weather.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #43
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Sounds interesting, let us know how it sleeps (that's all that really matters to me). And I absolutely agree on the new age memory foam crap. My ex-wife insisted on getting one years ago that cost over two-grand and it was the most god-awful thing to try and sleep on ever. I let her have it in the divorce. I got better sleep in Navy bunks that had a two inch cotton mattress on top of metal.
Not surprisingly, my dad had this old crusty cot that was either military surplus or similar. I used to get great sleep on that. Especially when i toss it out next to the fire and sleep there.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:26 AM   #44
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop
The other thing to consider is that 90 feet of hose also feeds your front heater and defroster
for the windshield. So if you only camp in good clear weather that is always dry and warm
you might want to keep the defroster and heater for the occasional cold humid weather.
That thought has crossed my mind more than once... But not recently. I will still have the blower motor up there. Just not the heat... So it will be mildly effective at moisture. I also alredy own a pair of mr heater little buddy propane heaters. Im thinking that i could use those as a pre drive warm up. At least one will be in the bus as an emergency backup heater. If not, there is sure to be a big gaping hole where the radiator used to be. Maybe i could start a small fire there. Haha.

You have a fairly solid point that logic backs up without argument.... Buuuuuutttt... I think i would rather deal with frosty window than trying to deal with the design challenges of what to do with two giant black rubber hoses and the box attached to the middle of them. If i make a post sometime in the dead of winter of winter about something something window, something something frostbite.... You can feel free to say " i told you so".

I appreciate all the input from everyone on this. Having someone point out flaws forces me to work through these problems before they become costly problems.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Another option --- driving without defrost can be a lot more than annoying, it can be dangerous. Especially given the ginormous windshield area and need for all around visibility these big suckers require. Instead of deleting everything, buy one of the new, small aftermarket heater/defrosters and plug it into the existing line. Just a thought.

Course, you could just install wipers on the inside too.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #46
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Another option --- driving without defrost can be a lot more than annoying, it can be dangerous. Especially given the ginormous windshield area and need for all around visibility these big suckers require. Instead of deleting everything, buy one of the new, small aftermarket heater/defrosters and plug it into the existing line. Just a thought.

Course, you could just install wipers on the inside too.
I've got it!

THIS + wife power

EDIT: but seriously... I found the solution.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65

Excellent find. I'm buying two of them.
I actually have been mulling over the idea of getting rid of all the factory heat and freeing up some room.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachowarrior
EDIT: but seriously... I found the solution.
Ewwwww.... have you actually ever used a 12v resistance heater? Any that I've seen are simply miserable. Not to mention, your adding additional load to the engine to power the thing, which seems silly since there is so much excess heat in an internal combustion engine.

For realz: keep the stock defrost and front heater. I'm confident that you WILL regret having pulled them out.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

Also, first three reviews that pop up on Amazon:

"This unit would not keep the cab warm at all."

"This heater does work but it does not put out much heat at all so I do not think it is worth the money, the fan is not very powerful either."

"Does not put out much heat and the fan barely blows out the warm air."
Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

One more comparison. I'm really trying to drive this point home

That particular model doesn't have a BTU rating, but I found a similar one on Amazon that did. Back Seat Heat Plus 1100 BTU 12V Truck Heater.
1100 BTU.

In my bus, the heater next to the driver is rated at around 80,000 BTU. The one by the door was rated at around 50,000. I removed the smaller one. You just won't get the defrosting power you need out of anything but a coolant based heat system.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #51
Almost There

Quote:
Also, first three reviews that pop up on Amazon:

"This unit would not keep the cab warm at all."

"This heater does work but it does not put out much heat at all so I do not think it is worth the money, the fan is not very powerful either."

"Does not put out much heat and the fan barely blows out the warm air."

haha. I realize that one in particular is terrible and didn't mean that particular item was the end all be all of the search. I will have 9k-18k btu available in the forward compartment already. The 12v heater would be more of something I could lay in there to remove moisture and add just a bit of heat. not looking to heat the cab, just put a dent in the humidity.

could always fire up the wood stove...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #52
Almost There

Quote:

That particular model doesn't have a BTU rating, but I found a similar one on Amazon that did. Back Seat Heat Plus 1100 BTU 12V Truck Heater.
1100 BTU.

In my bus, the heater next to the driver is rated at around 80,000 BTU. The one by the door was rated at around 50,000. I removed the smaller one. You just won't get the defrosting power you need out of anything but a coolant based heat system.

Yes, the item i picked is horrible. Which adds the tongue in cheek effect.

Thank you for the quote on your heater rating... this information gives me a much better idea of how much heat I will need per the volume of space. Seeing as how I have a handy dandy 3d render of my bus, I can figure the volume vs BTU rather handily.

Also, I rode a bus to school every day as a kid... in Ohio. In soviet Ohio, you are not afraid of cold, cold is afraid of you.

In 1994 I was in 4th grade, standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus, in the dark.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB
Excellent find. I'm buying two of them....
You have two wives? I can hardly handle one. :-p
Old 12-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78

Even the smallest coolant powered heater core is going to push something like 10,000 btu. If you are driving in weather that is wet, you will get condensation, and it will be unsafe unless you have a source of dry heat and a blower. Directly heated propane heaters (one where the flame is exposed to the heated area) are wet heat - the combustion of propane releases a lot of water vapor and are unsuitable for keeping humidity down.

You can re-route the heater hoses under the deck if you want a clean interior, but you plan on driving the thing, remember it's a vehicle, and you need to have basic safety gear. I consider an adequate defroster blower in the same category as headlights and windshield wipers. Required.

Quote:
Quote:

1100 BTU.

Yes, the item i picked is horrible. Which adds the tongue in cheek effect.

Thank you for the quote on your heater rating... this information gives me a much better idea of how much heat I will need per the volume of space. Seeing as how I have a handy dandy 3d render of my bus, I can figure the volume vs BTU rather handily.

Also, I rode a bus to school every day as a kid... in Ohio. In soviet Ohio, you are not afraid of cold, cold is afraid of you.

In 1994 I was in 4th grade, standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus, in the dark.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65

Funny. about the wives.

Well my factory heat needs some work anyhow. I either need to clean/fix it or remove/replace it.
The drivers heat doesn't seem to work much if at all, and the unit by the door seems really weak as well. The rears never seemed to do anything at all.
I guess I'm about to the point I need to make up my mind. I guess I'll play around with them and see whats up.
I didn't read any of the reviews for the mini dc heater. Oh well, its a nice idea, and still sounds like it puts out as much heat as what I have.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB
Funny. about the wives.

Well my factory heat needs some work anyhow. I either need to clean/fix it or remove/replace it.
The drivers heat doesn't seem to work much if at all, and the unit by the door seems really weak as well. The rears never seemed to do anything at all.
I guess I'm about to the point I need to make up my mind. I guess I'll play around with them and see whats up.
I didn't read any of the reviews for the mini dc heater. Oh well, its a nice idea, and still sounds like it puts out as much heat as what I have.
yes, sounds like you have something wrong with the heater system. Those things can cook you alive when they're working properly.
Have you checked that all the valves are open? There will probably be two at the engine and another at the heater up near the driver.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

"In 1994 I was in 4th grade, standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus, in the dark." Funny, I was out there too and I didn't meet you---Oh--wait--that was 1954, sorry . In all seriousness, keep the defroster. My little bus wasn't built with a heater of any kind let alone a defroster and the wiper (one only) was a hand crank affair. I now have a small fan that blows on the windshield (and 3 wipers) but even in sunny Kalifornia where it is in the thirties today, that isn't enough to get the job done. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #58
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
"In 1994 I was in 4th grade, standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus, in the dark." Funny, I was out there too and I didn't meet you---Oh--wait--that was 1954, sorry . In all seriousness, keep the defroster. My little bus wasn't built with a heater of any kind let alone a defroster and the wiper (one only) was a hand crank affair. I now have a small fan that blows on the windshield (and 3 wipers) but even in sunny Kalifornia where it is in the thirties today, that isn't enough to get the job done. Jack
Duly noted.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus,
You got to ride? I had to walk,but not, unlike both of my parents, "uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow"
I had to wear those awful 5 buckle boots.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Ha. Thanks for the welcoming.

Apparently, the camera on my phone takes pictures just barely over 2mb. Forcing me to resize them to post. haha. Anyone know of a good batching software for downsizing loads of pictures at once?

I will be adding them as I have time. As of right now though. I'm working full time, trying to start up a business, working on this bus, and trying to find time for everything else, like sleep. oh how I miss sleep.

I have used Gimp its a free photo app that comes close to fully replacing Adobe photoshop I use it via Portable apps http://portableapps.com/ it allows you to keep your assorted programs on a thumbdrive that you can plug in any computer surf the web with your bookmarks etc without leaving any info behind . Nice when your in a place that has only public computers to get online Small town libraries come to but there are also lots of other free apps available there . I love the countdown one I have almosters disease when it comes to remembering when I put stuff in the grill " easily distracted . Give it a look many picture apps as well and a great conversion app that can convert almost any measurement to another also take a look at pencil project neat drawing app .