Old 12-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The bus with no name...

I just wanted to share what evernote looks like when used with low to mediocre skill. :-p
Attached Images
File Type: png e-notebus-eg.PNG (1.42 MB, 240 views)
Nachowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachowarrior
EDIT: On the subject of what a tiny home or skoolie, or otherwise mobile/small/connected home. Here is Dee: http://youtu.be/A47JaOMDH4c
err... Fair warning: it may be sort of difficult for some to watch. IE: might not be a good thing to watch in public or at work if you're not comfortable bringing up very personal subjects in said company.
I have no problem with all these ideals. I, personally, have been living a relatively minimalist lifestyle for a decade or so. All of the skoolie lifers are in the same boat. I know many people who are living in what are essentially cabins who are also doing the same thing. In a sense, I'd say that video is simply preaching to the choir here at skoolie.net.

My problem lies in the "tiny home" buzzword and its many evangelists. It's this "new" old idea that has popped up recently and seems to be on the tongue of every trendy yuppie. A means for marketing; something to talk about in a couch circle. But then, I'm just a young curmudgeon

It's important to remember that only 2 or 3 generations ago, most people in North America were also living the minimalist lifestyle. Western culture has had a stint of prosperity well beyond the rest of the world, but the playing field is levelling. We don't need giant wooden boxes cruising around the interstates to change the direction of the consumer world. People just need to learn to live within their ever shrinking means. Modestly sized houses and apartments are ok. Stay out of debt. Consume if you want to, but don't be manipulated by advertising. To be honest, I expect that most tiny housers will be living back in their parent's basements in a year or two (no disrespect there! I'm currently typing this in a parent's basement ) since living in a small space is not for everyone...

This was not meant to offend. The hope is that it simply comes across as a slightly differing perspective, still along the same vein.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Quote:
EDIT: On the subject of what a tiny home or skoolie, or otherwise mobile/small/connected home. Here is Dee: http://youtu.be/A47JaOMDH4c
err... Fair warning: it may be sort of difficult for some to watch. IE: might not be a good thing to watch in public or at work if you're not comfortable bringing up very personal subjects in said company.
I have no problem with all these ideals. I, personally, have been living a relatively minimalist lifestyle for a decade or so. All of the skoolie lifers are in the same boat. I know many people who are living in what are essentially cabins who are also doing the same thing. In a sense, I'd say that video is simply preaching to the choir here at skoolie.net.

My problem lies in the "tiny home" buzzword and its many evangelists. It's this "new" old idea that has popped up recently and seems to be on the tongue of every trendy yuppie. A means for marketing; something to talk about in a couch circle. But then, I'm just a young curmudgeon

It's important to remember that only 2 or 3 generations ago, most people in North America were also living the minimalist lifestyle. Western culture has had a stint of prosperity well beyond the rest of the world, but the playing field is levelling. We don't need giant wooden boxes cruising around the interstates to change the direction of the consumer world. People just need to learn to live within their ever shrinking means. Modestly sized houses and apartments are ok. Stay out of debt. Consume if you want to, but don't be manipulated by advertising. To be honest, I expect that most tiny housers will be living back in their parent's basements in a year or two (no disrespect there! I'm currently typing this in a parent's basement ) since living in a small space is not for everyone...

This was not meant to offend. The hope is that it simply comes across as a slightly differing perspective, still along the same vein.

That's pretty much the point. I was mostly just stating that not everybody gets it, and there are people out there that fall in that bucket that are genuine.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Shoot I been Tiny Homing for years in my 728 sq ft mobile home on my paid for property. $135 for property tax last year and dirt cheap utilities.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Great post.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

moAr pikturez! yay!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image005.jpg (742.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (743.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg image004.jpg (752.6 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPanda
I've got Evernote, I think I'll take your lead and start using it extensively. Great idea.

I had an almost 0% weekend this week. Just a little overwhelmed & frustrated. No idea how to get the ceiling down, if it's riveted or spot riveted, or what, but it's on there tight. I'm not the tool guy, and have never done anything like this, so I had to step back this week and just cuss and glare a bit.

Also looks like I need to take the gas tank out & clean/refinish it, so that will be a good time to use the cutting tools...

Fun!
I zipped out my walls this weekend with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. I even used the cut off wheel to cut a + into the stubborn stripped screws, and that made it easy work for a hammer and pry bar. Might be easier just to use the grinder, and grind em off. If you don't own one, you can get one as little as 30-40 bucks i think at big box hardware stores.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

I was wondering if anyone had any input on taking out the heater and lines. I really dont want to build around them and i will have independent heat going down the road. Do they serve any other function other than as a heater?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78

Nope they're just heaters.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Unless your engine is overheating, in which case they become auxiliary radiators! I don't wish this on anyone, but I've been there: a scorching hot day, an engine getting close to overheating, and the heaters cranked