Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #61
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 72
My phone bit the dust. Had my more recent photos on there. I cannot remember if they were saved to the SD or the phone. Have to look at that when I get some time. I'll be sure to test out the camera on my Lumia 920 when it gets here. Supposed to be a very excellent camera, maybe my photo's will be less "drunk looking"... oh wait, it wasn't the fault of the camera

Anyway, updates are coming soon....ish.

Nachowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #62
Almost There

Very busy...

I have been consumed with work, and working on our house. We pulled a 2 day cleaning & junk removal binge followed by some construction. I'm just stopping in now to drop some pictures from my new phone. We had not even had a chance to work on the bus over the holidays.
Anyway, here are some pictures. The camera is nice on the phone. All of the pictures are set to automatic... I can't complain, but then i'm not a photographer if you had not noticed.

...after my first bout with the new file upload system, it's massively downsizing my pictures even though I uploaded them at or under 2mb. JOY! sooo... the new pictures are tiny. sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
image001.jpg   image002.jpg   image003.jpg   image004.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #63
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachowarrior View Post
A perfect storm happened this weekend, and it manifested into some knowledge.

I managed to make a little bit more progress to the bus this weekend, and I found out that I may be having some family over post holidays. I also have not been sleeping as well as I would like to lately. All of this created the need for a new sleeping surface.

It really started some 10 or so years ago. I happened across a situation where I could trade a bit of work for a lightly used Select comfort Queen. I took advantage of the opportunity. I had slept in it one night previously and had one of the best nights of sleep ever. Fast forward to present day and that mattress took a beating and died.
So we did what anyone does, we went to the store, picked up a memory foam bed, because everyone liked those, right? Well. It was okay. I didn't really like it much. Still have it today. Haven't slept well in years.
This is where the post family holiday visit comes in. My wife and I both started with next to nothing almost five years ago. So, we don't have an extra bed. Not really much space for one. But now we closed off two whole rooms of our house for non-use. It won't be that hard to turn one into a guest room... if we had a bed to put in there...
I think it's pretty obvious where this is going... We bought a new bed. It's not here yet, I will be updating when it arrives and when I get some time to sleep on it.

This bed is a little different. I first saw it here: . and the site: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

So I started looking into it. A bed that would leave extra headroom in my non-roof raised skoolie, at an affordable price, with great reviews... hmmm...
Anyway, from the company's mission statement to the final product it all seems to be very good and very upfront. I just hope it's as comfortable as everyone says it is.

I figured I would share this here because it's worth looking into. We all have to sleep on something, here's to hoping it can be both high quality and affordable. The bad news is, I have to build a king size bed frame for it. This also loses me some bed side storage that was planed for the bus. One thing I really liked about it, is that they say it's built to sit on the floor, no box springs necessary. Excellent for a bus bed. Lightweight, double points. The list goes on, check it out and let me know what you guys think. I'll post a follow up with our results.

So. We have had the bed for a few weeks. The first night was an amazing difference. I not only felt better but I now have more energy during the day and tasks seem easier.

I can say that I would highly recommend a tuft & needle over anything else I have seen or tried. I still miss my select comfort, but the damn thing fell apart and it seems there was always something going wrong with it... For the cash though, hands down this bed wins over all other beds I have owned. The cost for quality of sleep is very refreshing.

We purchased the 5" king.

pros:
- fairly movable and lightweight.
- firm, by this i mean it feels like you're getting support, not like a squishy blob that molds to your poor posture, this bed has give and is 'soft'. Most would describe this bed as firm.
- works well directly on wood, no need for wasteful box springs or the like
- thin looks good
- fits standard king sheets
- I sleep pretty great
- cost
- delivery was fast
- Received follow up email from the company asking how everything was going BEFORE the return period ended.
- The look on the faces of people when I ask them how much they paid for their mattress.
- removable cover
- there is very little motion transfer (experience directly on hardwood floor and on the bed frame pictured)
- I could afford a king at these prices, so instead of price dictating what I would purchase, use case dictated what I purchased. I was expecting weeks of research before I made a purchase and much more cash
-the better sleep has helped improve mood.

Cons:
- no handles to move it
- does not have springs to use as makeshift trampoline
- They don't take paypal.
- I don't want to get out of it in the morning. (oh wait)

Qualifiers for "good sleep"
- I don't get tired half way through the day
- my sleep schedule is generally from 230 or 3am to somewhere between 730 and 930am during the week.
- Bags under eyes are smaller in the morning than they were when I went to sleep.
-it's easy to wake up
-realistic energy levels all day long.
-wake up without pain and not needing an alignment.

I would say that i'm very happy and can recommend the bed. It fits the bill down the whole checklist. *affordable *comfortable *available *good quality
Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #64
Almost There

For those of you with a Thomas MVP like mine... well this link is for the EF model. These are recalls.

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/thomas-mvp_ef/1999/
Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #65
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Thanks for the review on the tuftandneedle mattress. These look like a really good option in comparison to others I've been looking at lately. I'm trying to gather most of the components for my conversion during this winter, so when spring arrives I'll be ready go.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #66
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
Thanks for the review on the tuftandneedle mattress. These look like a really good option in comparison to others I've been looking at lately. I'm trying to gather most of the components for my conversion during this winter, so when spring arrives I'll be ready go.
Glad I could be of some service.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #67
Almost There

I need to tackle a few things before I really start building inside.

Since removing the interior walls, i have been waiting for a good rain to happen when I'm home and awake to witness any leaks.

I patched up a few here and there as I did the insulation but there are a few I found that only punched through in a torrential down pour.

So i'm going to caulk all my windows and build some skylights hopefully this weekend. I was going to get to it this last weekend but things around the house have been neglected and needed to be done.

I have included a few pictures of my roof a/c unit install without the cover.

I have not yet completely figured out how I'm going to build the skylight. However It does need to incorporate some open space for food plants. mostly dwarf plants or things that can be kept around 1' tall. We're hoping to keep a good amount of greenery. The goal is to cut down on odor (four giant dogs), food cost, generate cleaner air, as well as to keep a hobby both of us can participate in.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150112_002.jpg   WP_20150112_001.jpg   WP_20150112_004.jpg   WP_20150112_005.jpg   WP_20150112_006.jpg  

WP_20150112_009.jpg   WP_20150112_010.jpg   WP_20150112_011.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #68
Almost There

I realize this is sort of backwards, but this is a continual work in progress. I wanted to share my "bus layout birthplace and graveyard". This is actually the second file, I started one prior to purchasing a bus, so I would have a better Idea of what we wanted. This file is comprised of the drawings I created after purchase. Each bus shell you see has been a full build that has gone through several revisions itself.

I labeled two of the images as well. Everything is as close to actual size as I could get it. However I'm not super attached to things fitting the way they are here, which is why I didn't go into super detail with the drawing.

Tell me what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
layout yard.PNG   labeled.jpg   labeled 2.PNG  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #69
Almost There

one more for the road....

Got some captures on the down low. Kinda lets you "feel" how the layout works.

I also wanted to note that I plan to build a skylight into the bathroom for showering pleasure... although I have not figured out how I'm going to pull that one off yet.
Attached Thumbnails
the downlow.jpg   the downlow 2.jpg   the downlow 3.jpg