Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #81
Skoolie

Re: The Bus with No Name, yet...

You're right, Elliot. Most ladies would slap you. Out here in W. Tx. it's still cowboy country and a lot of those old names (for that more mature generation) still exist. And as I'm sure you would guess, there are many double names. Bobby Jo, Mary Sue and the like. And not to brag, Elliot, but there are many long, tall attractive women out here. "Lurlene" actually came from one of my favorite movies. Set in TX. of course. One of the characters was named Lurlene. I love that name.

Now for a story... We went on a 3 day shakedown cruise to see if all was working properly....Had a great time.....Kinda felt like traitors because we have always tent camped and I mean for weeks at a time, maybe spending 2 or 3 nights in a bed out of 30 days and often times more. Our first morning we went on a 5 mile hike that ended back at the bus at lunch time. Man it was nice to come in, open the frig and grab something cold to drink, stretch out on the couch, turn on the stereo and relax. Yeah, I loved it.

But that's not the story....On the way home, Julie and I stopped in a small town to get an ice cream. Standing in a rather long line we overheard this. "Did you get off that bus parked out front?" To which we heard the reply, "No, and thank goodness I didn't!!" Julie looked at each other and smiled. We've done it!

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Y Standing in a rather long line we overheard this. "Did you get off that bus parked out front?" To which we heard the reply, "No, and thank goodness I didn't!!" Julie looked at each other and smiled. We've done it!
*chuckle* We have had a neighbor ask "Is that where you are going to park it?" When pointing at some ground I was spreading a couple 10-wheeler loads of gravel on. I replied "yep". His mouth dropped opened as he said "in front of your house?" I said "yep". The funny part is we live on a couple of acres. In front of our house is about a hundred feet from the DIRT road we live on and behind many, many 10'-70' tall pine trees. One has to almost be looking for the bus to see it from the road. My wife and I just chuckle at them as they hurry to spread the gossip over the back fence.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #83
Skoolie

Hey ya'll, here's some new finished pictures and there's more in the gallery. http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... g2_page=14
Attached Thumbnails
smallerP6172054.jpg   smallerP6172069.jpg   smallerP6172067.jpg  
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Very nice work.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

absolutly awsome lurlene id never be allowed in there
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #86
Skoolie

Timbuk...never be allowed? Hell we let a dog in the other day....No seriously, you'd be welcome....and if you had a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a bottle of tequila in the other hand you could stay forever....or until all was gone, whichever came first. Hell we might throw all caution to the wind and come see you. Only thing is....we'd have to stay forever cause we couldn't afford to drive anywhere else.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #87
Bus Nut

Excellent job, the bus looks great!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #88
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm

That is, by far, the nicest looking bus I've ever seen (no offense to the rest of you). I love how bright the interior is and the wood is awesome. And, the outside is very tasteful and classy. Nice work!
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #89
Bus Nut

I agree, very nicely done.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #90
Bus Nut

Wow.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #91
Bus Nut

I have to agree with everyone else that your bus is truly a work of art.

I wish I could afford to pay you guys to come here and help me convert my bus. Perhaps you could finance your cross country explorations with bus conversion work!

Good luck with everything! You've set another standard for the rest of us to strive for.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #92
Bus Nut

What do you 'spose that rig might bring on ebay? I've almost got the wife believing that a skoolie would be a good idea after seeing that thing.

Ofcourse she then reminded me that if I did one, it would remain half finished forever, kinda like our house!!!!

She's right, the bitch.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #93
Skoolie

Thanks everyone for the really nice comments. Good news is....we got job offers yesterday. So it's back to hopefully 80+ hrs a week.

As for a value on ebay...I've wondered....No matter what, I think a lot of people still wouldn't be able to get past the fact that she was a school bus. So even though you would pay REAL money for the equivalent in a motor home, I don't know if "Lurlene" would bring real money. We've kept all the receipts but haven't totaled them up yet. IF I were thinking of selling I would total up the receipts and multiply times 3 or 4 to set my value. That basis was what I used a lot bidding jobs. Even then I know the total wouldn't come near the cost of a comparable motorhome but I still doubt anyone would pay what I considered my value. Especially with the economy the way it is now. Unfortunately the days of disposable income are over for a while for most of us.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice things said, and MOST importantly, thanks to EVERYONE for all the help and encouragement. What a wonderful site "Skoolie.net" is!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Good news on the job offers!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

80 hours a week eh rep? no wonder you built that monster in 6 months im hoping you find the time to enjoy lurlene for some time to come i dream of the day i pull the pin but illl have to work to put gas in the bus! maybe ill get a job at the gas station..... timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

You and Julie have done yourselves proud, that is one FINE Skoolie! Very tasty!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I've been on the road....

About the name Lurlene.... I owe you an explanation for my rude comments. You see, I grew up in Norway, and in the Norwegian language there is this word "lurve-leven". "Lurvete" means messy, mussed up, disorganized and so forth. "Leven" means noise, ruckus. So "lurve-leven" describes a birthday party of 25 sugar'd-up eight-year-olds -- or equivalent. Which might be very appropriate?

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #98
Skoolie

No worries, Elliot. No offense taken. I think if it weren't for the aforementioned movie I also wouldn't be enamored of the name "Lurlene". But I enjoyed the movie so much and "Lurlene" is such an old Texas name, I thought it appropriate. Anyway we are waiting on word about our prospective jobs and hoping to close on the house on or about July 1, then we're off! I figure we'll be able to drive a good 12 miles before we'll have to stop and get jobs to be able to afford to drive any further. And then another 12 miles... and then...Oh ****, I done pee'd in my chili now...

BTW the movie is...Daddy's Dying, Who's Got The Will?....Judge Reinhold, Beverly D'Angelo, Beau Bridges and a great cast. Worth a watch if you can find it.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

From the title of that movie, I would say that a LURVELEVEN is about to break out!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #100
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Absolutely beautiful.