Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Re: The Camel Conversion Project

I finally got the flooring finished:

This will get a coat of roll-on bedliner, but first I need to erect some walls. I should be getting to that in the next week or so.

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #112
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
've removed the heater and all its parts (I'll be using electric heat)
Just curious, what are you going to use for defrost? Even in Florida there are times when a window defroster
is needed.
somewhereinusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #113
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Just curious, what are you going to use for defrost? Even in Florida there are times when a window defroster
is needed.
This company (DC Thermal) makes electric cab heaters with or without ducting that can be used for defrosting the windshield. Plus, they're Made in USA! I was planning to mount one of their unducted models overhead on a swivel so I can turn it from heating the driver's seat to pointing at the windshield for defrosting. Or I might buy a smaller one and mount it under the dash and connect the output to the existing defroster plenum.

I like electric heat because I wouldn't have to wait for the engine to warm up before getting some warmth in the cab, and I'd never have to worry about the heater core springing a leak inside the living area. Ive had that problem on two cars I've owned and it was bad. After taking out the old heater core, I can say that I would not have wanted to do that in case I needed to repair some part of the system—it was built and assembled to be permanently secured with no way—save for complete disassembly—to remove the core.

And by the way, it never worked right from the time I brought it home. Two of the control cables were disconnected at the heater control panel and the valve in the heater hose was frozen (ON or OFF, I couldn't tell which). The fresh air intake hose was crushed behind the heater output hose and was sucking interior air when it should have been pulling outside air.

This is what it looked like before:

I'm not a big believer in doing things just because that's the way they've always been done. If the old way is better, fine. But if there is a newer, more efficient method to get the same thing done (and I can afford to do it), I'll go with the new idea.

(On a semi-related tangent, there was a time when I pondered using the recently sold generator to convert this thing to a diesel-electric hybrid, but it turned out to be more than I wanted to spend. I would have replaced the main engine with an electric motor and used the 16KW diesel generator to charge a bank of super-capacitors that would then power the motor and drive the wheels. If I ever run into some extra cash, I might still do this.)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #114
Bus Nut

My 100th post!

I noticed the other day that the windshield wiper arms were so worn out that the metal blade holders were rubbing against the glass. This has resulted in slight scratches on the windshield and I wanted to get it fixed before more damage was done.

I found exact replacements at Grainger (part no. 2JYZ7) and they delivered two arms to the Ocala store. These are super easy to replace and adjust. You just have to be careful of the elbow near the motor post—if the elbow is locked into the swing-out position (as if you were cleaning the glass with the arms out of the way), it is under quite a bit of spring pressure and can snap back and pinch a finger if you're not careful. Thankfully, I didn't have a problem, but only because I've done this before. (After removing the retaining nut from the motor post, you'll have to swing the arms away from the glass until they lock into this position, otherwise you'll never get the arm off the motor post.)

I also started taping the floors with the latest interior layout to get a feel for the orientation. I like it a lot and I think it will work just fine.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #115
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Lookin' good PD...do you plan on mocking it up in 3D (as with cardboard or such)?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #116
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Lookin' good PD...do you plan on mocking it up in 3D (as with cardboard or such)?
You can borrow my Jeep for mockup.....it's setup for racing.....see below

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HHS4sIN7FMJkpg
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #117
Bus Nut

Quote:
I might. This was just a quick look at the setup since I had the floor finished and cleaned.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #118
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
You can borrow my Jeep for mockup.....it's setup for racing.....see below

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HHS4sIN7FMJkpg
Sweet! I'll PM you my address and you can mail it to me.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #119
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
Coincidentally there was a thread recently on BCM about this same subject:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index ... ic=22726.0
The concept is definitely attractive, but it sounds like maybe they wouldn't do much in a bus?

Original bus heaters, such as by Hurri-Hot or Bergstrom, can put out a prodigious amount of heat. It may be worth trying to fix them instead. On my bus the rear heater alone will make the whole bus too hot for me after just a few minutes, and that's not with the front heater/defroster on as well!

John
Ah, but my bookmobile never had a "bus heater" and wasn't meant to carry a load of passengers, so the meager heater under the dash would never have the effect yours did.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #120
Bus Nut

Not much new this week. I relocated the mirror on the nose from the right side where I couldn't see it to the left side right in front of the driver. It doesn't block my view of the road, but now I can see the space in front of the bumper without having to look around the windshield center pillar.

I also worked up a quick "photochop" of what I'm planning to do to the front end. Just some flat-black paint details, but it looks kinda neat (this doesn't reflect the new mirror location):

I like the look of the black bumper with Emergency Orange recovery hooks. The "International" badge will get some kind of paint treatment to highlight the lettering and logo. Same with the engine badges on either side of the hood: