Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Re: The Camel Conversion Project

For the past couple of weeks I've been slowly working on the ceiling of my conversion. (It's just sooo hot out there!) This is where I'm at as of tonight:

The joists are in from the front of the interior back to the beginning of the bed wall (see diagrams in m last post). I framed out the rough opening for the roof hatch. It's slightly off-center to make room for the shower stall that will be located to the left of the hatch. While the opening is 36" long and 24" wide, I'll put in a narrower ladder that won't hit any cabinets or doors when I swing it down. I don't want to use a folding ladder as that might eat up too much headroom.

The ceiling vent fan will be mounted in the hatch door.

I have to say, I may end up buying a new vent fan with a remote control as the ceiling is already too high to easily open the vent and operate the controls. When it is mounted in the hatch door it will be higher by two or three inches and swinging down the ladder just to open the vent will be a hassle.

I've also decided to run my electrical wiring inside the ceiling. I had previously thought of mounting all the conduit on the surface of the ceiling and walls, but now that my joists are in place I can see a better way. The aluminum roof structure has I-beams that run from side to side to keep the walls from bowing outward under the weight of the roof arches. Those I-beams are directly above the new joists. I can drill through the I-beams and run ENT "smurf tubing" through them and keep the joists intact. When I eventually spray expanding foam insulation onto the ceiling, it will encapsulate the ENT and still leave room for four inches of fiberglass insulation between the joists. This is going to be one well-insulated ceiling!

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
For the past couple of weeks I've been slowly working on the ceiling of my conversion. (It's just sooo hot out there!) This is where I'm at as of tonight:

The joists are in from the front of the interior back to the beginning of the bed wall (see diagrams in m last post). I framed out the rough opening for the roof hatch. It's slightly off-center to make room for the shower stall that will be located to the left of the hatch. While the opening is 36" long and 24" wide, I'll put in a narrower ladder that won't hit any cabinets or doors when I swing it down. I don't want to use a folding ladder as that might eat up too much headroom.

The ceiling vent fan will be mounted in the hatch door.

I have to say, I may end up buying a new vent fan with a remote control as the ceiling is already too high to easily open the vent and operate the controls. When it is mounted in the hatch door it will be higher by two or three inches and swinging down the ladder just to open the vent will be a hassle.

I've also decided to run my electrical wiring inside the ceiling. I had previously thought of mounting all the conduit on the surface of the ceiling and walls, but now that my joists are in place I can see a better way. The aluminum roof structure has I-beams that run from side to side to keep the walls from bowing outward under the weight of the roof arches. Those I-beams are directly above the new joists. I can drill through the I-beams and run ENT "smurf tubing" through them and keep the joists intact. When I eventually spray expanding foam insulation onto the ceiling, it will encapsulate the ENT and still leave room for four inches of fiberglass insulation between the joists. This is going to be one well-insulated ceiling!

looks really good, lots of room
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #143
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
When I eventually spray expanding foam insulation onto the ceiling, it will encapsulate the ENT and still leave room for four inches of fiberglass insulation between the joists
Just curious, why foam then use batting? Foam is a far superior insulation, why not just foam it all?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #144
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
When I eventually spray expanding foam insulation onto the ceiling, it will encapsulate the ENT and still leave room for four inches of fiberglass insulation between the joists
Just curious, why foam then use batting? Foam is a far superior insulation, why not just foam it all?
Cost. The foam kits are about $600 and they will cover 600 sq ft with an inch-thick layer of foam. Since I'm also going to foam the walls, I can't afford to do the entire ceiling more than a thin layer. On the flat walls, I'm going to re-use some of the rigid styrofoam panels that I took out of the original construction and partially fill the spaces between the studs, then use foam to fill the gaps out to the thickness of the studs. I think a single foam kit should be enough to do what I want to do.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #145
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Have you looked into having someone come in and do the whole thing? I had my entire shop 16x32, walls and ceiling for $1200 level with 2x4 sidewalls, about 3in in ceiling. He did the trimming and cleaned up his mess.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #146
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Have you looked into having someone come in and do the whole thing? I had my entire shop 16x32, walls and ceiling for $1200 level with 2x4 sidewalls, about 3in in ceiling. He did the trimming and cleaned up his mess.
Other than reading what others have said, no, I haven't looked into it. I've read that I'm better off doing it myself up to a certain size room. For someone doing a whole house, it's cheaper to hire a professional and have them spray it with industrial foams. It's quicker and they save money on labor by doing it so much faster. For smaller rooms or spot jobs, it's cheaper to do it yourself (and this was the advice of a professional installer). My bus's interior is only 8 x 17 and I'll be filling most of the wall space with leftover styrofoam panels.

Plus, there's nothing like the satisfaction of knowing it was done right by doing it yourself.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #147
Bus Nut

Just a quick post to show the rigid insulation I have leftover from the original interior. I'll be cutting this to fit between the wall studs and stacking it thick enough to fill from the exterior skin to the inner walls. I don't think I have enough to do the whole thing, but I can buy a few more panels to finish and I'll use spray foam insulation to fill the gaps between this and the studs. The spray foam will also tie the whole system together and make the walls extra sturdy.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #148
Bus Nut

I've been busy for the past couple weeks designing and building my roof access hatch. The weather has been cooler lately and it's a lot easier to get myself into the mood to work when I don't think I'm going to sweat out a couple gallons of water.

This will eventually drop in between the 24" x 36" opening I've already made in the ceiling joists. As soon as this hatch is completely ready for installation, I'll cut a hole in the roof and drop it into place with a thick bead of caulk around the seam. EDIT: In retrospect, I would have made the hatch big enough to accept a standard attic ladder. The ladders typically fit between 24-inch-on-center ceiling joists. While I made the rough opening for this hatch 24" wide, the hatch insert is about 21" inches wide. It's also too short to fit a tri-folding ladder. If anyone is thinking of doing something like this, keep those measurements in mind. Find a cheap ladder and build the hatch around it.

I'm not worried about the fit and finish on the top of the door—the entire door will get a sheet of .032 aluminum that will wrap over the edges and down to nearly the level of the roof, protecting it from the direct effects of rain, sun, and snow.

The seam between the walls and support lumber will get a bead of caulk to prevent water intrusion. The inside corners of the walls and door will get the same treatment.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #149
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

VERY nice job. I don't know how you wood guys get the corners to fit like that!--if I can't fill it with weld I'm in big trouble! Nice job.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #150
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
VERY nice job. I don't know how you wood guys get the corners to fit like that!--if I can't fill it with weld I'm in big trouble! Nice job.
As they say, the tools are the trade. Pick yourself up a decent table saw and you'll be doing joints like that in no time.