Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #501
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I like the renderings.

Thanks for sharing.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #502

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: Navistar DT-466
Hey there PD,
I found your project thread a few weeks ago and tore through it with enthusiasm. I love how you've worked on this project and the innovative approaches you've taken. I'm sorry to hear about the accident and the pains of recovery you're going through but am glad you're not worse off as that could have been the case.
I just wanted to let you know you've been an inspiration to me and that I think you've already accomplished great things. This will be a minor set-back in the long run, if not just a momentary pause that allowed a re-direction in your project.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!
Mercgryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #503
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Thanks so much for the kind words and for sharing your enthusiasm. Everyone on this site loves a passionate skoolie builder.

My current status is painful, but much less so than I expected. I had surgery on my right elbow two weeks ago and was told to expect excruciating pain in the days after the operation, but it really hasn't been too bad. Perhaps due to the oxycodone or maybe because my pain threshold has increased as of late, but either way, I'm doing pretty well. Of course, my first physical therapy session is Tuesday and I'm expecting to walk out of that appointment weeping and covered in sweat.

Surgical details for those who may be interested: Two hours before the procedure, I was precisely dosed with x-rays at the surgical site. The radiation is supposed to prevent further bone growth after the surgery. (This type of radiation therapy can also be used to prevent the initial onset of ossification if prescribed in the first couple hours after the trauma that may cause it. Unfortunately, since they don't know who may develop the ossification, they can't very well go around shooting everyone who comes into the trauma center with the equivalent of a thousand chest x-rays, so it's not something that happens too often.) As high as the radiation dose is, it's still about a hundredth of what they give cancer patients during their treatment.

The last thing I remember before the surgery was getting measured for a nerve block in my shoulder. They put a small IV drip about a half-inch below the skin near a main nerve that runs into the arm and this drip administers a constant flow of lidocaine (or some derivative thereof) and it does wonders to stop the pain of post-op recovery. In fact, for two days after the surgery, I basically couldn't feel or even move my entire arm. Within 30 minutes of its removal, I was able to move my arm a bit and after a couple hours I was almost normal. This was when I was expecting the worst pain, but it wasn't bad.

The surgeon ground away a lot of excess calcium that had enveloped my entire elbow joint, fusing it into a bent stick. He also dug out a nerve that was encapsulated by bone growth and because of all the manipulation he anticipates I may have some numbness and/or tingling in my hand and fingers for a long time, maybe permanently.

There was a lot of excess bone, but he had to be careful to not remove too much, else I'd end up with a weak elbow. To be safe, he removed possibly a little less than he could rather than too much. I have to wear an arm brace that prevents me over-extending the elbow, but the brace will come off eventually. For now, I wear it all the time except when showering and for a couple hours during the day just to let my arm breathe a bit. It's a pain to sleep with, though.

The wound site is impressively gruesome. They pulled out about thirty staples a week after the surgery and when they pulled off the dressing, a little plastic drain fell out of the wound. They were going to remove it anyway, but it was kind of gross when it fell to the table and a few drops of me came out with it. I was assured it would close on its own and sure enough, today it's nothing more than a four-inch scar. Yet another conversation starter.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #504
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Get well soon...then get back to work! We enjoy your pix.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #505
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Get well soon...then get back to work! We enjoy your pix.
Something I posted on my Twitter feed a few days ago: Elaina at Infinite Ale, Ocala
Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #506
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks...that made my day more pleasant.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #507
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks...that made my day more pleasant.
You're welcome.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #508
Bus Nut

I can't work on the bus until I'm recovered enough to use tools, but I can buy things I'll need. (My disability claim was approved, so I have an income now.) I am very interested in lithium-ion batteries as replacements for lead-acid house batteries, so I did some research and started a new thread on the subject. Here's a link: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/li...cid-11090.html

As a reward for your continued readership, here's another girlie photo (Elaina):
Attached Thumbnails
2014-04-13-367.jpg  
Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #509
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
You might look into comfrey as an herbal assistant for your recovery.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #510
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop View Post
You might look into comfrey as an herbal assistant for your recovery.
I will look into it. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #511
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
I can't work on the b1us until I'm recovered enough to use tools, but I can buy things I'll need. (My disability claim was approved, so I have an income now.) I am very interested in lithium-ion batteries as replacements for lead-acid house batteries, so I did some research and started a new thread on the subject. Here's a link: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/li...cid-11090.html

As a reward for your continued readership, here's another girlie photo (Elaina):
Them are some thick leggs, NOT saying it's a bad thing
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 AM   #512

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
Something I posted on my Twitter feed a few days ago: Elaina at Infinite Ale, Ocala

I like ale...and Elaina too.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #513
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Bump for PDBreske. Great build and here's some positive vibes for a full and complete recovery
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #514
Skoolie

was told to expect excruciating pain in the days after the operation, but it really hasn't been too bad. Perhaps due to the oxycodone or maybe because my pain threshold has increased as of late, but either way, I'm doing pretty well. Of course, my first physical therapy session is Tuesday and I'm expecting to walk out of that appointment weeping and covered in sweat.

Hang in there! I feel your pain, well in a different area. Today is one week past spine surgery for me.
I can lay down for short periods of time, I can walk around the house for short periods of time, and I can sit down for short periods of time, that keeps me busy
This too shall pass.

Cliff.
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #515
Bus Nut

Thanks, guys.

Things have been going really well. My therapy has been getting easier and my range of motion is nearly as good as what the surgeon was able to get when I was sedated. I suspect that we'll decide to operate on the other arm within a couple of months, but for now, I've very happy with the ability I've regained in the right arm.

Even better news: I'm able to operate and hand-hold my camera again. I can brace it with my left elbow (still can't get that hand anywhere near my head) and hold it with my right. This is huge because a couple of weeks ago I tried to use the camera on a tripod and it was fairly frustrating. It worked, but it was slow and tedious. Hand-holding while working with a model is much quicker and easier.

A couple of shots taken of a dear friend and fellow photographer:

Amber, Ocala

Plans in the coming months are for another photoshoot with the beautiful Elaina and I am already registered to participate in a local monthly art show starting in September.

I suppose I'm not too far from being able to at least do a little work in the bus. I go out there every couple weeks to look around and dream of what it will one day become.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #516
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
"I go out there every couple weeks to look around and dream of what it will one day become."

I think that is what every skoolie does. No matter how much we do on the bus, we always go out and dream about the next step. I am glad you are regaining more function and are able to do the things you like to do, even if it is at a slower pace.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #517
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
... even if it is at a slower pace.
Only for now.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #518
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Nice! You made a beautiful skoolie and you continue to make beautiful photos, and in the future you will be able to do all of these things faster, win win situation for everybody!
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #519
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Hey PD what are your plans for electrical since you sold off the 16Kw generator? You seem to have quite a bit of 110V draw (which you are plugged into shore power extension cord for now). You mentioned some solar panels on the roof, but just curious what you had planned?
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #520
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoLyons View Post
Hey PD what are your plans for electrical since you sold off the 16Kw generator? You seem to have quite a bit of 110V draw (which you are plugged into shore power extension cord for now). You mentioned some solar panels on the roof, but just curious what you had planned?
Actually, my 110V draw isn't that bad. All of the appliances are highly efficient and even when they are running, have a very low power requirement. The A/C is probably the biggest consumer, but even that has an Energy Saver mode that keeps the daily consumption pretty low. My walls and ceiling are also very heavily insulated and I can tell you from working in it during the summer before the fire that it doesn't need a lot of cooling to stay comfortable.

At this point I'm leaning strongly towards a single 150Ahr LiFEPO4 battery and a couple of 220 watt solar panels. I already have the 2000W inverter/charger that was in the bookmobile when I bought it and my planned total draw should be well within the capacity of this planned system.

If I do get the (very expensive) LiFEPO4 battery, it can be easily and safely used as a starting battery and house battery, so I can keep it charged by simply starting the vehicle engine if the sun isn't cooperating. It can also be mounted inside the living area as it doesn't off-gas any fumes at any time during the charging cycle.

I started a thread on the battery here.