Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #321
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Re: The Camel Conversion Project

Checked this morning: 6.1 degrees and working fine.

The next step is to try using the AKO controller to run the unit as a refrigerator. Since the controller has a range of -50 degrees F to 350 degrees F, I should think this will not be a problem.

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #322
Site Team

Awesome find. I would fill that badboy up with ice cream...no, beer.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #323
Bus Nut

WICKED awesome score!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Awesome find. I would fill that badboy up with ice cream...no, beer.
No, both. You know it's both.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #324
Bus Nut

I made a video of my plumbing. Come on! You know you've been wanting this!

"The Camel" RV conversion plumbing tour

Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #325

Very nice job on the whole project.
caleath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #326
Bus Nut

That's good info, nat_ster, and the tight bend thing did come into play in my decision (in addition to cost). As you can see in the photos, the space between the tanks and the wall is fairly tight, and the turn from that space to the lateral run where the pump is mounted is also a pretty tight bend. When I handled some PEX at Lowes, I thought the material might kink if I forced it to that tight radius, so I decided to go with CPVC and 90 degree elbows. I do agree PEX is probably a superior system, but I knew this would work and I thought the PEX might not.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #327
Bus Nut

Worked some more on the shower enclosure. The rear wall is 3/4" plywood and the shower walls will attach directly to that and the studs on the other two sides. The plywood is secured to the water platform, but the shower riser and stud wall are still only dropped in place until I get everything shimmed and squared.

I nearly ran into a disastrous problem when I started installing the plywood wall. The shower instructions require a 35-1/4" wall depth for the 34" shower. The extra inch-and-a-quarter is to secure the shower walls to the studs with tabs that extend from the edges. I found that the wider walls would extend beyond the roof hatch opening by just over an inch. There was no way I was going to do all this work and then have to look at the shower door partially blocking my beautiful hatch. Even by only an inch.

So I went back to my original plan of a 34" deep shower and I'll trim the tabs from the edges of the shower walls and somehow make it all work. There is going to be a door and trim that will cover the entire surface of all these parts on the inboard edges and that trim will be perfectly flush with the edge of the hatch opening.

I also cut the water platform flooring to fit and secured it to the underlying structure. Very sturdy now.

All in all, I'm really pleased at how well my final plan is coming together with minimal changes. I credit careful measurements of the interior space before I started the virtual model in Google's SketchUp software.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #328
Bus Nut

I loosely placed the shower walls in the roughed-in stall and this revealed the slightly "unsquare" fit. Since nothing is yet secured, I can shim where necessary to make it all fit perfectly.

I'll need to remove these mounting tabs that run along the walls from top to bottom in order for the rest of the structure to fit without extending into the roof hatch opening:

Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #329
Mini-Skoolie

I will be honest, I just read the entire post.. At first I was very upset, and thought you were doing that rig wrong.. Your ideas were way off the norm.. However, I think in the end I owe you an apology. It's coming one fantastically. It gonna be unique and very much you. Keep it up !! Can't wait to see how it turns out !!

As for how to anchor the jeep, the answer is sitting on your bumper. Install a center anchor up front, winch the jeep in and when you get almost to the end use a tow chain on the rear. If you do it right the winch will pull your front down and lock down the rear at the same time., it's basically the same set up on any flat bed tow truck. If your winch is not up to the task you now have a good excuse to buy a new one

Let me know if you have any questions.
Gsragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #330
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsragtop
I will be honest, I just read the entire post.. At first I was very upset, and thought you were doing that rig wrong.. Your ideas were way off the norm.. However, I think in the end I owe you an apology. It's coming one fantastically. It gonna be unique and very much you. Keep it up !! Can't wait to see how it turns out !!

As for how to anchor the jeep, the answer is sitting on your bumper. Install a center anchor up front, winch the jeep in and when you get almost to the end use a tow chain on the rear. If you do it right the winch will pull your front down and lock down the rear at the same time., it's basically the same set up on any flat bed tow truck. If your winch is not up to the task you now have a good excuse to buy a new one

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks very much! Unfortunately, work has been slow lately. I was forced to get a regular job and it takes much of my time. In fact, I havenít done much of anything in the past couple of months. Itís a catch-22 in that I need the money to finish the project, but I canít work on the project while Iím making the money to finish it. Very frustrating.

I have given thought to the idea of using the winch to secure the Jeep and Iím unsure whether it will be a good solution. I wonít have access to the nose of the Jeep when itís parked in the ďgarage,Ē so I wonít be able to disconnect the winch control cable once the Jeep is parkedóIíll have to leave it draped across the hood and in through the driverís window. Thatís not a huge problem, but itís also not exactly ideal. The winch is definitely able to do the job (9500-pound pull with 17000-pound synthetic line), but I worry how I would get it out if for some reason the Jeepís battery died or something. Donít get me wrongóI love the idea.

Anyway, I will keep this thread updated as work proceeds. Iím definitely not giving up on it.