Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #351
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24
Re: The Camel Conversion Project

Saw that hole in te floor and flashed back to the times I was on the train in the rest room. Big Sign saying - DO NOT FLUSH THE TOILET IN THE STATION..
I wondered why until I flushed it and saw it dropped the load of doom onto the tracks. No wonder some guys I know hated to work on trains.. Must have coated the train cars under carriage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
Work has been slow for the past few months, but I caught up with all the other threads that Iíve neglected and it gave me a boost of enthusiasm. For the past couple days Iíve been working on the fresh water plumbing and shower drain. When I used a hole saw to cut the hole for the drain pipe, I had to be careful to not hit one of the lateral i-beams that are spaced about ten inches apart.

I screwed into the floor to find the underlying i-beams and thought I had found the ones on either side of where I wanted to put the drain hole. After cutting through the 2x4 bottom plate of the shower wall, I thought, ďLet me check again ... just in case.Ē Sure enough, there was another i-beam under the floor. Apparently, there are two beams right next to each other here. Since I hadnít yet cut through the flooring, I could simply move forward a few inches and cut. This does add a complication: Iíll have to adjust the location of the gray water tank under the floor. Not a big deal, but itís an annoyance.

Something for you to envy: My floor construction. The disk (1) is the plastic (maybe fiberglass ... whatever it is, itís very tough) sheet that covers the entire underside of my bus. It protects the layer of foam insulation from road debris and dirt. The insulation (2) is sprayed in between the i-beams that support the floor. Itís between 1Ĺ and 2 inches thick. The floor itself (3) is a layer of ĺĒ marine-grade plywood topped with ľĒ plywood.

Hereís a shot showing the i-beam under the floor. Close call.

Once the drain plumbing is mounted through this hole, Iíll foam around it to keep out the elements and hold everything in place.

I needed to at least test the fresh water plumbing for leaks before I finish the shower, so I connected the garden hose and applied pressure. Immediately found one connection that I failed to cement and it sprayed a bit of water before I shut off the pressure. Fixed that and then found two small leaks elsewhere, including the NPT fitting at the inlet connection. Fixed all of this and re-applied water pressure. Good to go. Wired the water pump and it works, too. Until I get the rest of the plumbing installed, Iím only able to recirculate the water in the tanks, but at least I know everything works. Now I can finish the shower and once thatís done, the side walls will support a lot of other stuff including the wardrobe over the water tank platform.

Oh, and I installed a third LED ceiling light. Lots of light in there now.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #352
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwhacker007
Saw that hole in te floor and flashed back to the times I was on the train in the rest room. Big Sign saying - DO NOT FLUSH THE TOILET IN THE STATION..
I wondered why until I flushed it and saw it dropped the load of doom onto the tracks. No wonder some guys I know hated to work on trains.. Must have coated the train cars under carriage..
Well, that hole is now filled with several adapters and couplings to get the 2Ē Schedule 40 PVC down to 1ĹĒ drain tubing suitable for the Hepvo waterless P-trap eliminator. Unfortunately, the whole bundle sticks down below the floor so far that my waste tank will need to be mounted a couple inches lower than I anticipated, but Iíll deal with it.

Happily, the rest of the water supply plumbing is done. I need only connect the flexible tubing to the hot water heater (arrived yesterday) and sink faucet, once thatís installed.

New Ariston GL4S water heater. This is the newest version with the temp control on the front instead of inside the front cover:

Connections all solvent-welded and ready for flexible connections:

The horizontal line on the wall is the level of the counter top (38Ē, but I may decide to raise it to 39Ē after I see the exact clearances involved) and will allow a 10Ē deep sink (arriving today) without contacting any of the under-sink plumbing parts.

The switch/outlet above the counter controls one outlet on the connection below the sink. I can turn on or off the water heater from here and use electricity to heat water only when I need to.

The purpose of the 38Ē counter height is twofold. I like a nice, tall counter. Iím not taller than average, but I donít like reaching down to wash my hands. Two, I need four inches of clearance for the propane cooktop that will be installed in the counter over the freezer to the right of the sink. (The freezer will slide in and out of the space under the counter on wheels or heavy-duty drawer slides and you can see the left edge of it in the first picture above.)

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #353
Bus Nut

Me, too. I'm trying desperately to avoid the kind of mess that was in here when I bought the vehicle.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #354
Bus Nut

I connected all the lines and a spare faucet and turned on the water pump ... I have hot and cold running water! Yay!

Well, I should say I had hot and cold running water. That was just a leak test and since it went well (no drips), I disconnected everything so I can work on finishing the wall between the shower and kitchen.

I was surprised at the output from the little 12V water pump. I was worried that my showers would be like standing under a rain gutter in a drizzle, but it turns out to be more like a garden hose. Sweet.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #355
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Congrats man, that's always a good milestone haven't tested my pump yet but that sounds encouraging, I'm a little worried about water pressure myself.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #356
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink
Congrats man, that's always a good milestone haven't tested my pump yet but that sounds encouraging, I'm a little worried about water pressure myself.
You should be good to go. I started with my system shutoff valves in the wrong configuration (the water was partially recirculating back to the tanks) so it seemed to take forever for the water heater to fill up. Once I closed the fill valve, the shower head spout suddenly came to life and shot water all over the shower stall (and, for the first time, not all over me).

Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #357
Bus Nut

Working tonight, so I only had time for a little work in the bus.

I cut down some scrap ĺĒ plywood (arenít those scraps the best?) and made some panels to finish the walls above the shower stall parts. There is a gap on the left edge of the back trim panel because the ceiling goes up slightly in that area. All will be concealed with caulk and/or some kind of moulding.

Since the shower panels have a flange to attach to the wall studs, I used the table saw to cut a rabbet for clearance:

Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #358
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Really nice work.

Your doing great on your own, but I will add this here in case you can use the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
All will be concealed with caulk and/or some kind of molding.
Home depo sells a PVC trim for out doors, and wet environments in about 10 different shapes and sizes.

I have been using it for around 5 years in showers with good results.

I use stainless pin nails to secure it onto the wall, with good kitchen and bath silicone behind.

Nat
Good to know! Iíll check it out. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #359
Bus Nut

I made a follow-up video on my plumbing. If youíve been following this thread, I donít think there is anything new in the video, but some people prefer video to stills. Enjoy!

RV Plumbing tour, Part 2 on YouTube

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #360
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

very clean shower install. like the video a lot.