Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #421
Bus Nut
Re: The Camel Conversion Project

Duuuuude, I like the colour of the countertop. What did you use to glue it down with? Mine's coming up.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #422

Amazing work. Has there been any more progress on your build over the summer?
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #423
Bus Nut
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Some bad news. Very bad news.

For the past 12 weeks I was in the burn unit at Shands hospital in Gainesville. I came home yesterday.

Back in July, I went into the bus to check the new propane system for leaks. I could't smell anything, so I assumed the air was clear. I was inside for a good two minutes before I threw any switches, just in case. Well, apparently, there was a small leak somewhere. When i pushed the igniter switch on the cooktop, the whole place exploded in a flash fire. I watched for a brief moment as the fireball expanded toward my face and body, then yelled (probably saved my lungs) and spun around to the door.

I was burned over about 27% of my body, mostly hands and legs, areas not covered by clothing. I was eventually rushed to Shands where I spent a few days in a coma and managed to survive sepsis. While under the effects of all the different pain meds, I also got to experience a bit of mental illness as I was hallucinating terribly for a few weeks. Everything from thinking corrupt police were trying to kill me to watching a bootleg copy of Godzilla on the ceiling of a South Beach bar—while still in my hospital bed.

As an added bonus, my arms and fingers have developed a somewhat rare form of bone ossification that affects only some trauma patients, leaving my elbows and a few fingers of each hand locked in position. I can't reach any part of my body above the waist with my hands, so I require help with almost everything. My parents and girlfriend are helping out and they are wonderful.

I have a long road to full recovery, but the doctors say that everything can be fixed with time, physical therapy, and more surgery for the ossification. In the meantime, the bus is on hold. Even my photography is off limits until I regain the use of my elbows and fingers.

So, remember to check and double-check your lines for leaks. I wouldn't wish my experience on my worst enemy and I don't want to read about it on this forum.
Read about the "Camel" RV Conversion project!

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #424
Bus Crazy
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear this! I hope you heal well, PDBreske...
My build page: Armageddon - The Smell of Airborne Rust
jazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #425

That's horrible!! Loving your bus, Get better soon and back on track. All the best.
heavilyredacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #426
Bus Nut
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

I will be praying for you and your family in this time of crisis. I'll also let my friends and family know and do the same. Godspeed on your recovery.

We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
- William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
M1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #427
Bus Nut
Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

So sad to hear of your accident. This kind of thing was one of my biggest fears, being a boat mechanic for over 25 years. Flammable fumes in confined spaces with ignition source is a very bad thing. Thanks for warning everyone here. I sincerely hope you have a speed recovery and regain that which is lost. I will be praying for you for such. Thankfully you have loving peeps there to help you along the way. One cannot imagine having to walk this path alone. From one "Camel" (Gimel (our buses name) is Hebrew for Camel) owner to another, "Get well soon".

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #428
Bus Nut

Thought and prayers for a full recovery. Never give up!!
Don and Mary
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #429
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Holy cr@p! So sorry to hear of your accident. It's said in the RV world that owners should have a qualified technician check the propane lines annually. This definitely proves the point, the hard way. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Just before I read your account of your accident, I noticed in your photos that you have your stove top located under cabinets with no vent hood. This is another accident waiting to happen and should be corrected after you've recovered and resume your conversion work. In residential construction, there has to be a range hood above a stove top, and it has to be at least 30 inches (if I remember correctly) above the stove top. Words to the wise.
(Latin) loquor loqui locutus dep. [to speak (in conversation); to tell , say, declare, talk of].

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #430
Almost There
Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Sorry to hear about this, good luck and god speed getting back on your feet.
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote