Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #511
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
I can't work on the b1us until I'm recovered enough to use tools, but I can buy things I'll need. (My disability claim was approved, so I have an income now.) I am very interested in lithium-ion batteries as replacements for lead-acid house batteries, so I did some research and started a new thread on the subject. Here's a link: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/li...cid-11090.html

As a reward for your continued readership, here's another girlie photo (Elaina):
Them are some thick leggs, NOT saying it's a bad thing
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 AM   #512
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
Something I posted on my Twitter feed a few days ago: Elaina at Infinite Ale, Ocala

I like ale...and Elaina too.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #513
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Bump for PDBreske. Great build and here's some positive vibes for a full and complete recovery
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #514
Skoolie

was told to expect excruciating pain in the days after the operation, but it really hasn't been too bad. Perhaps due to the oxycodone or maybe because my pain threshold has increased as of late, but either way, I'm doing pretty well. Of course, my first physical therapy session is Tuesday and I'm expecting to walk out of that appointment weeping and covered in sweat.

Hang in there! I feel your pain, well in a different area. Today is one week past spine surgery for me.
I can lay down for short periods of time, I can walk around the house for short periods of time, and I can sit down for short periods of time, that keeps me busy
This too shall pass.

Cliff.
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #515
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Thanks, guys.

Things have been going really well. My therapy has been getting easier and my range of motion is nearly as good as what the surgeon was able to get when I was sedated. I suspect that we'll decide to operate on the other arm within a couple of months, but for now, I've very happy with the ability I've regained in the right arm.

Even better news: I'm able to operate and hand-hold my camera again. I can brace it with my left elbow (still can't get that hand anywhere near my head) and hold it with my right. This is huge because a couple of weeks ago I tried to use the camera on a tripod and it was fairly frustrating. It worked, but it was slow and tedious. Hand-holding while working with a model is much quicker and easier.

A couple of shots taken of a dear friend and fellow photographer:

Amber, Ocala

Plans in the coming months are for another photoshoot with the beautiful Elaina and I am already registered to participate in a local monthly art show starting in September.

I suppose I'm not too far from being able to at least do a little work in the bus. I go out there every couple weeks to look around and dream of what it will one day become.

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #516
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
"I go out there every couple weeks to look around and dream of what it will one day become."

I think that is what every skoolie does. No matter how much we do on the bus, we always go out and dream about the next step. I am glad you are regaining more function and are able to do the things you like to do, even if it is at a slower pace.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #517
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
... even if it is at a slower pace.
Only for now.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #518
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Nice! You made a beautiful skoolie and you continue to make beautiful photos, and in the future you will be able to do all of these things faster, win win situation for everybody!
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #519
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Hey PD what are your plans for electrical since you sold off the 16Kw generator? You seem to have quite a bit of 110V draw (which you are plugged into shore power extension cord for now). You mentioned some solar panels on the roof, but just curious what you had planned?
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #520
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoLyons View Post
Hey PD what are your plans for electrical since you sold off the 16Kw generator? You seem to have quite a bit of 110V draw (which you are plugged into shore power extension cord for now). You mentioned some solar panels on the roof, but just curious what you had planned?
Actually, my 110V draw isn't that bad. All of the appliances are highly efficient and even when they are running, have a very low power requirement. The A/C is probably the biggest consumer, but even that has an Energy Saver mode that keeps the daily consumption pretty low. My walls and ceiling are also very heavily insulated and I can tell you from working in it during the summer before the fire that it doesn't need a lot of cooling to stay comfortable.

At this point I'm leaning strongly towards a single 150Ahr LiFEPO4 battery and a couple of 220 watt solar panels. I already have the 2000W inverter/charger that was in the bookmobile when I bought it and my planned total draw should be well within the capacity of this planned system.

If I do get the (very expensive) LiFEPO4 battery, it can be easily and safely used as a starting battery and house battery, so I can keep it charged by simply starting the vehicle engine if the sun isn't cooperating. It can also be mounted inside the living area as it doesn't off-gas any fumes at any time during the charging cycle.

I started a thread on the battery here.