Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Re: The Camel Conversion Project

Here's another video! . Feel free to give out that link to anyone who might be interested in buying the genset.

The auction isn't live on eBay yet. I'll have to wait until Monday (or Tuesday, depending on the holiday hours for my local shipping place), to find out how this thing is going to be shipped and what it will cost to crate it and pack it. Meanwhile, you can watch this and see what I just pulled out of the bookmobile.

Getting it out was harder than I thought it would be. It wouldn't fit through the generator bay door with the radiator installed, and I couldn't remove the radiator completely with the genset still in the bay, so I had to remove the bolts holding the radiator to its mount, then slide the genny out an inch at a time, checking as went to make sure it wasn't going to penetrate the radiator fins with a bracket or other protrusion. I had to use my Jeep-mounted winch to slide it out of the bay, then carefully (or not) drop it onto a furniture dolly so I could wheel it around for pictures and storage.

It cleaned up pretty well! It was covered with road grime and dust, and the tray it's mounted in had about 3/4 inch of greasy dirt from edge to edge. Happily, the oil kept the tray from rusting, so it's in pretty good shape and it goes with the generator.

I'm thinking of starting the auction at $2000 plus shipping and seeing where it goes from there. What do you think?

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #83
Mini-Skoolie

how did the truck drive with the new front tires?

how fast does it go now?
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT75FLH
how did the truck drive with the new front tires?

how fast does it go now?
It drives MUCH smoother than before, but I wasn't able to test it for top speed as the tire shop was local and I still have lots of unsecured crap in the back of the vehicle. Once I get everything secured, I'll put it on the highway and see what happens.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #85
Bus Nut

I should add that I can't even start the engine right now until I finish the job of disconnecting the fuel lines for the generator. The supply line was connected to the main tank drain bung and the return line went to a T-fitting on the main engine return line.

The one on the fuel tank was a real pain to remove. The weight of the almost full tank wanted to push all the diesel fuel out onto my hands and arms after I disconnected the compression fitting for the hose, but I still had to remove the pipe adapter from the tank itself and replace it with a standard pipe plug. There were actually two pipe adapters in the drain, but the bigger one would NOT budge, so I pulled out the smaller one and plugged it. My hands still smell like fuel and I dumped about a pint of diesel into a mason jar (and a little onto the driveway).

I sized up the other fitting and found it leaks very slightly—everything around the T-fitting is covered with oil and road grime. It's not enough of a leak to form a drip when I clean it off, but I can see wetness around where the fuel line goes into the fitting. I bought an Ander-Lign 1/2" coupler at Lowes and it looks a little different from what's installed now, so I think the leak may be from using a regular compression fitting on plastic tubing. The Ander-Lign fitting includes a brass tube that goes inside the plastic fuel line, giving it some support for the compression ring to squeeze down on. I'm hoping this will eliminate the extra fitting for the generator as well as the leaky connectors.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
... My hands still smell like fuel ...
Quote:
From Miles Stair's Wick Shop
CLEANING THE KEROSENE SMELL OFF YOUR HANDS

Handling kerosene means some will get on your hands, and it has a distinctive aroma. Because kerosene is an penetrating oil, regular detergent often does not completely eliminate the aroma. Thick, cheap hair shampoo, or a women's facial cleanser, will dissolve the kerosene quickly and easily. Any lingering kerosene aroma can be removed by using the new "hand sanitizer," which is an emulsified solution of glycerin, alcohol and water. When your hands are still damp and rinsed from using the shampoo, put on some "hand sanitizer," rub your hands together, then rinse and dry, leaving your hands smelling nice and fresh. A bit of trouble, but necessary for those of us using kerosene heaters.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #87
Bus Nut

Quote:
From Miles Stair's Wick Shop
CLEANING THE KEROSENE SMELL OFF YOUR HANDS

Handling kerosene means some will get on your hands, and it has a distinctive aroma. Because kerosene is an penetrating oil, regular detergent often does not completely eliminate the aroma. Thick, cheap hair shampoo, or a women's facial cleanser, will dissolve the kerosene quickly and easily. Any lingering kerosene aroma can be removed by using the new "hand sanitizer," which is an emulsified solution of glycerin, alcohol and water. When your hands are still damp and rinsed from using the shampoo, put on some "hand sanitizer," rub your hands together, then rinse and dry, leaving your hands smelling nice and fresh. A bit of trouble, but necessary for those of us using kerosene heaters.
Good to know! Thanks!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #88
Bus Nut

Here'a video I made of the generator. I've posted this to YouTube, but I'm waiting to find out how much the genset will cost to ship before I list it on eBay.

http://youtu.be/HQb0bGNJ7Ww

After I took out the generator, I had to remove the lines that were plumbed in to the main engine's fuel supply and return lines.

The generator supply was connected directly to the fuel tank's drain fitting. I disconnected it and replaced the elbow fitting with a brass NPT plug.

The return line was tied to the main engine return line with this T-fitting. It had been slowly leaking (probably for years) and everything in this area was covered with a thick coat of oil and road dirt.

The new connector is a 1/2" Watts Ander-Lign compression coupler from Lowes. Works great and no leaks!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #89

In regards to your emergency start system, I would leave it hooked up as it will cost you nothing but if you ever need it it will be priceless.

I have one on my boat and have used it more than once. )

Bill Kelleher
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K
In regards to your emergency start system, I would leave it hooked up as it will cost you nothing but if you ever need it it will be priceless.

I have one on my boat and have used it more than once. )

Bill Kelleher
Too late.

If I may ask, under what conditions did you need to use the feature on your boat?