Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 44
The conversion begins

Hi Everyone
It's been a slow start but now I'm making some head way. Got the floor up down to the metal, converted the rust. Now doing the body work and primed the floor is next on the list. Progress is slow but stead!
Attached Thumbnails
00u0u_9MU6dBIrd3O_600x450.jpg  

pwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Man I don't like body work! In the process of rebuilding a wheel well, taking the tires off to do it right. Might as well do it right or not at all I figure. The bottom step coming into the bus need to be redone also. I guess this type of stuff is normal for a northern bus. It will be worth in when it's done, at least that is what i keep telling myself The next step is to take the bus to the welders, for under side welding and to put on a back deck to carry my motorcycle!

I would like to say that the info that comes from this forum has given me a lot of ideas and will save me time in avoiding problems. I have read a lot of the threads and most of the time you can find an answer to your question. Just want to say thank you to everyone that contributes
Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Try using an image hosting site for posting pics.

I hate bodywork too. I did it for a few years after high school and learned that I'd rather not sand cars all day.
I'll be doing some on my own bus, of course. I'm not going to get obsessive with it though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I tried to take off the rear tires but the budd wheel nuts came off together. I'm taking the bus to a friends place who happens to have more tools than I do. He claims it's no be deal, we will see i guess, it's looks like a big deal to me. Has anyone had this happen when you try to take the outside nut off the inside one comes with it? All this to repair a wheel well!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Isn't one piece right-handed and the other left-handed, so that whatever direction removes the outer nut tightens the inner nut-stud piece? Then, once all the nuts and outer wheel are off, then turn what's left the other way to remove the inner wheel? That's how I understood it, and if memory serves I even noticed little L's and R's stamped in the parts.. but I haven't actually taken mine off yet, so there's my "may not know what I'm rambling about" disclaimer.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

That's what I read to but mine must be different because some of the inside nuts loosen also. I'm taking mine to someone who knows how to deal with these things. Don't want to chance it, ya know doing something wrong. I would rather do it right the first time!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Going to a buddies house for some welding very soon. Haven't done much lately because of work and getting ready for winter here in the northeast. Painted the floor inside with some left over paint mixed a few different colors came out looking a shade of pink!