Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Mines accurate now, but I'm looking to go with the 11R's too.

the 11R's are a different beast to drive.. the ride is Better for sure.. a bit firmer now... i went from a Load F to a Load H... not because its required but because thats what Most of the common tires out there are...

these tires weren the cheap chinese but also arent top of the line XDE michelins either..

the tire company I worked with is only commercial tires so they know that side of the house.. my rep said "look dont put $800 tires on a bus you are going to drive maybe 10k a year if that... you'll age them out .. ".."my uniroyals are name brand.. great tire.. much less ($320).. and will be perfect for what you do..".. I went with a bit of an agressive tread in the back.. because in Ohio we do get real winter.. and the bus very well may see winter conditons when I drive it...

I notice on the highway at 65 a little more steering input is required than before.. (though yesterday was a rather windy day).. I no longer have that nasty steering wheel shake I had previously at 60-65..

I still need to have someone drive behind and beside me to make sure they got the daytons on straight and true... that will wear a tire out quick if they get even one of the tandems on slightly untrue..

I finally figured out my axle ratio.. I have a 4.78 rear.. the DT is tuned to run a Max RPM of 2900 at No load.. and will run up to 2700 on the highway.. about 2500-2600 to run at 65..

65 is the Max I'll ever drive this bus... I could set the DT to run up to 3200 and not hurt it but I ran the bus downhill at 70 recently and didnt like the stability of it there... at least i personaly didnt feel comfortable driving it at 70.. 65 is perfectly fine... thats fast enough I can be in the traffic flow ...

I havent yet bumped the fuel flow screws.. but if I have trouble on the hills with the bigger tires I'll bump it a bit..

the next part of the project is sealing off the sources of engine heat.. I can see daylight all over the place from the cab into the engine compartment.. pretty much ALL of the OEM caulking has cracked and detriorated away... so time to re-seal all the places where hoses, wires, cables etc come into the cab...

I ordered new electrically operated heater valves for under the hood so I can remotely turn on and off my heater cores as i choose...
-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
It is surprising how much difference a little more tire diameter can make. Great work on dialing in the speedo & tach BTW.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
here is the manpage for what each bank of switches means..
hah! This is officially the first time I've read the term 'manpage' on skoolie.net. It made me laugh to see that in connection with a photo of a paper page from an old vehicle service manual. Can one get much farther from its origins and still apply so well?

From wikipedia, for those who don't have software-geek background: "A man page (short for manual page) is a form of software documentation usually found on a Unix or Unix-like operating system. Topics covered include computer programs (including library and system calls), formal standards and conventions, and even abstract concepts."
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
hah! This is officially the first time I've read the term 'manpage' on skoolie.net. It made me laugh to see that in connection with a photo of a paper page from an old vehicle service manual. Can one get much farther from its origins and still apply so well?

From wikipedia, for those who don't have software-geek background: "A man page (short for manual page) is a form of software documentation usually found on a Unix or Unix-like operating system. Topics covered include computer programs (including library and system calls), formal standards and conventions, and even abstract concepts."

too funny and here I said it withiut even thinking... everything instructions is a manpage to me.. (been in Linux since 1993)..

probably seems fitting that I named my Bus 'DEV RANDOM' (I used caps just because the same font as SCHOOL BUS fit perfectly in the same space)

-Christopher
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Wait a minute... Didn't I get here by "man 3 skoolie" in my terminal?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #86
Bus Geek

I put the bus away for the weekend in its temporary covered storage space.. (my full garage doesnt come available for a couple months so I rented a covered spot wqith electricity at a brand new U-HAUL faciility 5 minutes from my house.. they are really cool and dont mind if you do minor work there...

its going to pour rain all weekend so not much can be done under the hood or under the bus..

I yabnked all the old stop sign air-hoses and valves out and capped off the lines.. ran the air pressure up and made sure its all tight... not sure why they had a huge air tank that was ONLY foer the stop sign... it was connected with one line on the unprotected side of the protection valve.. that doggone tank I banged my hesad against $$^&$$ putting in my A/C condenser couldve gone away all along..

Next I did some test fitting for my A/C ducting that will get the air to the seats and to most importantly, me the driver!..

I originally was going to put the black ducting inside the Line-hide.. Line-hide is a channel normally used for placing wiring and freon lines inside of on the outside of buildings for Mini-split A/C units.. its designed to be UV proof, handle a wide range of temperatures, as well as water tight..

so I have rethought the process and am going to try using the line-hide as the ducting itself.. the end cap fits a little loose but some good quality weather-strip and butyl-weather seal will tighten that up..

yes I went old school on my vents.. the piece above is a mockup of what will go across the top of my dash to blow air on me as i drive..

below is the flex connector hacked onto the black duct.. the black duct is what comes from the A/C unit itself and will go through the top of my heater box which is all open space unaffected by the heater core.. and then comes out into the linehide.. im, likely to cut the flexible light colored piece and attached the black duct to the flexi-part and make a positive connection...

-Christopher
Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Someone asked me if I have totally neglected this bus? Not at all! In fact I drive it quite a bit , it jut runs perfect so I don't need to do much to it other than change the oil and drive it. Got it here at Starbucks this morning!

I recently drove it on an 800 mile road trip to Santa clause Indiana and the bus rally in Evansville Indiana.

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #88
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Nice thread revival!

I was wondering when you were gonna post some more pics of the DEV bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #89
Bus Geek

I need to do more of it, I do drive it quite a bit.. I really havent had anything break on it, the DT360 starts every time i need it to.. and the bus just goes along.. drive it 55 and its happy as a camper.. it does need some insulation because its an easy bake oven in the hot summer even with 65,000 BTU of air conditioning
-Christopher
Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM   #90
Bus Geek

Any pix of that ducting installed? Looks brilliant.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #91
Bus Geek

Here ya go.

The vents are for hot and cold, I just rotate close or open the ones i want. The defroster is also refrigerated for those rainy days.
Christopher

Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #92
Bus Geek

Excellent...thanks. And great timing. I am just beginning to try and find places for some A/C and defrosting ducts. Really like the use of the LineHide. Looks like it was made for carrying air with those vents fitted.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #93
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Someone asked me if I have totally neglected this bus? Not at all! In fact I drive it quite a bit , it jut runs perfect so I don't need to do much to it other than change the oil and drive it. Got it here at Starbucks this morning!

I recently drove it on an 800 mile road trip to Santa clause Indiana and the bus rally in Evansville Indiana.

Christopher

I wish I would have been on here a bit more when that was going on. You literally drove through my back yard to get there. We live just outside of Evansville. I had heard about a few buses in town and didn't think much about it.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #94
Bus Geek

it ended up being a really big rally.. even with hurricanes in the osuth and extra hot weather. we still had over 80 buses. 100+ had registered.. some didnt travel due to the heat (no A/C or concerns of overheating), or with possibility that hurricane remnants could come up that way in a couple days after.. they are talking about making it an annual or bi-annual event..
-Christopher
Old 11-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
it ended up being a really big rally.. even with hurricanes in the osuth and extra hot weather. we still had over 80 buses. 100+ had registered.. some didnt travel due to the heat (no A/C or concerns of overheating), or with possibility that hurricane remnants could come up that way in a couple days after.. they are talking about making it an annual or bi-annual event..
-Christopher
We'll certainly try to make the next one!
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #96
Bus Geek

Yeppers I still have this bus and I even drive it.. ! I had noticed last fall that one of the spokes on the A/C clutch broke.. well another one broke allowing it to slip sometimes.. so I knew with a hot summer on the way I gotta fix it..

that was today's project.

the broken compressor! Grrr its only 2 years old!.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_ac_clutch.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	22329

oh wait maybe because its made in CHINA!!!

Name:	china_ac_comp.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	22331

when I put thaty A/C in, the sales guy had told me it was an extra capacioty compressor so running 2 evaporators on it woiuldnt be an issue.. I knew the condensor was big enough but had doubts on the compressor.

so I went looking and sure enough my suispicion was right.. the chinese unit wasnt extra capacity.. but SANDEN makes one that is.. so this time I went brand new REAL sanden. ive always had great luck with them..

the performance curve of the original compressor..

Name:	Choina-Comp-chart.png
Views:	7
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	22332

and now the performance chart of the new one which is in Sanden's Line of Enhanced HD.. theres an easy 10-15% gain over thje original.. in the world of bus A/C in an uninsulated bus with clear windows I need all i can get..

Name:	sanden-ehd-chart.png
Views:	5
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	22335

yep its REAL.

Name:	real_sanden.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	22334

got it installed and mostly charged.. I ran out of 134A about a pound and a half short but its still cold I'll top it off tomorrow..

I put a new belt on too..

Name:	new_belt.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	22333

and yep you guessed it.. I drove the bus to starbucks!!

Name:	bus-starbucks.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	22330

im hoping I get home from boston in time to drive it to spring fling in hershey PA, its gonna be close.. I fly oiut tuesday and return friday the 1st and pretty much hop from the plane to the bus and head east!.

-Christopher
Old 05-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #97
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I think you should get sponsored by Starbucks.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Oh, my youngest would love that museum! But we probably won't make it out there this year. Need to finish our bus first....

Hope you make it, though!

Edit: yes, you should get sponsored by Starbucks.....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #99
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
"Made in China" means nothing on its own.

It's the buyers, usually Americans, who spec the manufacture of the items.

They tend to hide behind everyone's idea of "Chinese rubbish" when they under-specc'd stuff to sell it cheap.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #100
Bus Geek

The China comments were more tongue and cheek than anything . From closer examination it looks like the distance between the the pulley and the clutch disc is way too wide. That makes the spring metal bend much more and the likelihood of breaking is high. Of course like anyone when I installed it 2 years ago I just took it out of the box flushed it filled it with oil and put it on..

Now if I can just get the superheat correct on the front coil.
Christopher