Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the DEV RANDOM

I have posted alot around here lately.. and made conversation that yes i do in fact have a bus, however it is not yet in my possesion.. I have had the dealer a ton of work to it t oget it ready for me and then onward to my phase of DEV RANDOM the short bus to become more than jiust a vision.

I have no facilities or skills for doing body work or painting a school bus so I had the dealer handle that... while at it, since they took all the lights off of the bus to paint it I went ahead and am having new lights installed. i had the wheelchair lift removed, and the school lights removed and metal welded in place of them.. and finally I decided to have them do a full service on all the fluids and go over the bus (it goes to a 3rd party shop)..

DISCLAIMER: I'm not looking to do the "lowest cost" build here.. but looking to have a bus as close to "ready to drive" as can be possible with a used bus.. thus why I chose to have the dealer do so much.. many might criticize me for that but its how I roll.. so I can spend my time and effort on the pieces im skilled at and enjoy.. Like electronics, tech, audio, HVAC, cameras, etc...

here is a before pic

and a couple pics of it in Process from Today at the dealer!

I should be picking this bad boy up this weekend or early next week!
then i can get it home and get the AIR CONDITIONING going!!

now THAT i'll delight in doing myself
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Saw my first ever roof raise in person

While at the bus dealer, I saw my first ever roof raise bus in person... the bus below IS NOT MY BUS, but someone who is having their bus serviced at the same dealership. Kudos to those of you that can do this as I have all the respect for you! Im sure this bus belongs to someone here on this forum.. it looks familiar..

-Christopher
Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
And finally, someone that raised from below the windows. I think the windows are cool, but they're to dang low for when I'm lolly gagging around in my shorts and stuff.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I like that paint job. I like that color. It's kind of understated and calming. On the other hand I'm pretty much color blind, but I think it looks nice. It really looks good and I sure understand about being able to specialize in a specific subject. That's what we do if we're lucky. Have you already got past the burnout phase?
So yeah, have your bus serviced and don't feel bad about it. It is going to be a learning process for you anyway because it's simply not a new bus. Just like buying a used car. You're still going to have a learning curve, but nice choice in shortys. I love the way they drive like a farm truck. And now with these air seats and heated mirrors. I never had that in my cars except the back window.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Nice bus! Congrats! Whooo hoo!!!!

I think there may be a closet-style benefit of having a dealer do the initial prep: you start with a known. I wish I had that option. If I had it, I'd have paid good money for it too.

I'm likely preaching to the choir here, but let me just say this: spend as much time as it takes to REALLY know your bus. Stare at the engine, trans, brakes, etc as long as it takes to generate a completely detailed picture in your brain. Get your hands onto every inch of that bus and start making mental notes. It will all come in handy when something breaks (and it WILL). In addition to doing all my own work, I bet I have 20 hours spent on a creeper just rolling around under that damn bus. I'll pick a line and follow it end to end. I'll find a gadget and research it. And this knowledge is already paying off for me.

Anyway, thats a darn sharp looking bus! PLEASE post your goofings with the AC system as I'm very interested in doing something similar. (And btw, you and I come from the same career path... Just 15-ish years apart... So we speak the same odd language. I spend a lot of years coding down to the metal and am starting to get that itch again for bus controls! If someone outs me in the same room with an MD3060 for too long, interesting things might just happen. Hehehe).
Old 05-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
While at the bus dealer, I saw my first ever roof raise bus in person... the bus below IS NOT MY BUS, but someone who is having their bus serviced at the same dealership. Kudos to those of you that can do this as I have all the respect for you! Im sure this bus belongs to someone here on this forum.. it looks familiar..

-Christopher
Nah, NEVER seen that one before.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Looks real good..
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Nah, NEVER seen that one before.
Ive never seen ANY roof raise in person before... I know ive seen pictures of it and other roof raises before.. just never saw one in person.

is it a member here?

does make for really nice ceiling height!
-Christopher
Old 05-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ive never seen ANY roof raise in person before... I know ive seen pictures of it and other roof raises before.. just never saw one in person.

is it a member here?

does make for really nice ceiling height!
-Christopher
Nope.
If they're a member they've never posted any pics.

Maybe BGA is doing roof raises on the sly?

Man, you still in town??? Shoulda had a few beers!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nope.
If they're a member they've never posted any pics.

Maybe BGA is doing roof raises on the sly?

Man, you still in town??? Shoulda had a few beers!

nah BGA didnt raise the roof, it was brought back in for some mechanical work and I think he said something else.. floors or something.. not sure..

wierd thing about it is they didnt overlap the sheet metal but I dont know much about raising a roof on a bus...

im still in town for a few days the bus isnt quite ready yet, definitely grab a burger or such with ya, (I dont drink when I have to drive).. I have a rent-a-car so can easily meet ya somewhere.
-Christopher
Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
Bus Geek

does anyone know where I can get 'S3800' hood Emblems in good shape? mine were missing from the getgo.. or never existed.. seems some busses never had them, or maybe they were installed badly and always flew off?
-Christopher
Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Well, you could come have a look at my bus if you'd like. I'll grill you a bison steak.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, you could come have a look at my bus if you'd like. I'll grill you a bison steak.

Totally Love the idea of seeing your bus!that idea rocks!.

not much for bison.. (sorry no disrespect to you.. im just probably a more finicky eater than anyone's 5 year old is...).

-Christopher
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
Anyway, thats a darn sharp looking bus! PLEASE post your goofings with the AC system as I'm very interested in doing something similar. (And btw, you and I come from the same career path... Just 15-ish years apart... So we speak the same odd language. I spend a lot of years coding down to the metal and am starting to get that itch again for bus controls! If someone outs me in the same room with an MD3060 for too long, interesting things might just happen. Hehehe).
I'm a Java/web guy, so we're cousins but not brothers. You can have my share of the assembly language. I'll get your data securely moved to Moscow or Beijing for you.

As for hacking an Allison transmishkin, Don't Do That! None of the other kids will let you sit at their lunch table. They'd laugh at you behind your back. You won't get invited to any more of the skookie bus get-togethers. NOBODY around here would see any utility in knowing anyone who could unlock the mythical Allison overdrive gears for them!
</sarcasm>

If I achieve my dream of finding/buying an ISC/3060 setup, you'll be the first person I call.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
Bus Geek

I was thinking myself about hacking an allison.. or at least learning more about it.. mind you I should at least drive my bus the 1100 miles home before i automatically say that the 545 is worthless.. im just listening to those here talk about it.. but I swear I had a 545 in my ast bus.. (isnt the 545 the one with the cool "whistle" frm first to second?") and that bus ran just fine.. now granted I had a somewhat "tinkered" 454 in that bus so I could rev it up to 5800 RPM if I needed to for speed.. so perhaps being limited to 2700 (I think a DT360 is 2700?) might make me sooner wish to swap to a nice 6 speed allison.. then crank out the DT a little...

BUT first things first and that will be running the 1100 miles and then getting ICE COLD A/C! installed.. then can worry about minor things such as horsepower and transmissions..

-Christopher
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Totally Love the idea of seeing your bus!that idea rocks!.

not much for bison.. (sorry no disrespect to you.. im just probably a more finicky eater than anyone's 5 year old is...).

-Christopher
If you don't like red meat, we can have a quiche made up for you at the local bakery.

Seriously though, what do you like?
We've been into meats you can't find at the local grocer these days. Bison, kangaroo, elk...
There's a REALLY nice Thai place in Orlando, too.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
If you don't like red meat, we can have a quiche made up for you at the local bakery.

Seriously though, what do you like?
We've been into meats you can't find at the local grocer these days. Bison, kangaroo, elk...
There's a REALLY nice Thai place in Orlando, too.
lol im a simple burgers, fries, pizza, kinda guy.. all the stuff thats supposedly bad for you..
ha! I do love red meat but im the Opposite of a Foodie.. I eat purely because id die without.. (come close a few times from just not eating)..
-Christopher
Old 05-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
lol im a simple burgers, fries, pizza, kinda guy.. all the stuff thats supposedly bad for you..
ha! I do love red meat but im the Opposite of a Foodie.. I eat purely because id die without.. (come close a few times from just not eating)..
-Christopher
Just out of curiosity- have you ever eaten a ribeye from a bison?
Its epic, man.
Can grill up some burgers or something though, no worries there.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Try beefalo if you can find it. Medium rare with a slab of cheddar, salt and pepper, a side of home made garlic pickles (brined, not vinegar) and thick-cut fries with seasoned salt.... Mmmmmz

Dang it, I just made myself hungry...
Old 05-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Just out of curiosity- have you ever eaten a ribeye from a bison?
Its epic, man.
Can grill up some burgers or something though, no worries there.
I tried a bison burger once.. didnt care for it.. was at a restaraunt..
im adventurous in many ways but food is NOT one of them.. I want plain jane all the way... if I eat a burger its with cheese and bacon, no pickles,sauces,lettus,mayo or any of that junk...

im definitely a product of the take-out-world we live in.. when I travel i do try and hit up local restaraunts as opposed to chains all the time.. but I tend to pick them carefully and read the menu on the door if its posted...

I rarely drink alcohol.. the occasional whiskey unless ive got to drive even a block within 8 hours then nada..

I drink a lot of espresso, water, soda(pop in ohio), and Iced tea...

-Christopher

« Sojourner | Windows »