Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Thought hard on this one issue, but between the structural strength of a school bus and the extra ground clearance for going WAY off road, I had to go with a skoolie. My wife was not (is not) happy with my decision. I told her in 10 years we'll get an other one, and it will be more her style. Probably a ready made RV. YUCK
Make sure you include her in the design and layout of the interior and remind her that a commercial motorhome will not be customized to her exact desires. After a few reminders that she "can't get that on a ready-made RV," she'll come around.

PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

In regards to 2-speed rear ends, whomever told you that the high end was 1:1 was ill informed.

Most 2-speeds had high side in the 5.5:1 range and the low side in the 7:1 or 8:1 ratio.

Brownie (auxilliary) transmissions come in many different ratios and speeds. The most common is either a 2-speed with direct and overdrive or direct and underdrive. The next most common are 3-speeds with under, direct, and overdrive.

The problem with brownies and 2-speed rear ends is they don't work very well with automatic transmissions.

I know of one school district that ordered their buses with 2-speed rear ends. The switch to change ranges was in the engine compartment so that the only time the rear end speed could be changed was while the bus was standing still. The gearing limited the low side to a top speed of about 45 MPH and the high side to a top speed of about 65 MPH.

With the advent of engines with a lot more than 210 HP the need for a hill climbing gear seat is really not necessary.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
Went to register the bus as an RV today. I was told that it can't be done, "if the title says it's a bus, it has to stay the same".

Now I know others in Georgia have re-registered their buses as RVs, can anyone help me find the information to show the local tag office? The said they would do it if I did the foot work but they didn't think it was allowed. Time to educate them.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Not at all trying to discourage you- but I have heard that Georgia is VERY tricky.
Try another office is what I think.
you'd be surprised at the different answers and reactions I've gotten from different offices or even employees.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Good idea on trying another office. The place where we bought our bus was willing to go with us to his local office and deal with people he knows, but we didn't need any help. Again, let me check with Hubby in the AM and find out what town and county we bought ours at.....maybe you could go there and try.

we got ours at Wades junk yard but I don't think their listed as such....I think they are located in Alto, Georgia not faar from here and you

Sharlene
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #26
Skoolie

I go to Wades often (I live just across the river from there), and am friends with Walter (the owner) so maybe I will talk to him next week. The weather is putting everything on hold.

I also though you had to go to the office in the county you live in, if not then that opens up other possibilities.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Walter is who we dealt with and who offered to help us so I guess you can go anywhere to get tags.

What does your insurance card have the bus listed as? Hubby said we also brought that with us when we went. Our title says:
MAKE -BLUE BIRD
YEAR- 1992
TYPE OF BODY -MOTOR HOME
MODEL- MOTOR HOME

and insurance says:
YEAR-1992
MAKE-BLUEBIRD
MODEL-BUS CONVERSION.

The difference being that we had to get insurance before we could get tags and we didn't have a clue what the DMV was going to call her.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 AM   #28
Skoolie

I don't have insurance yet. I was just trying to get her retitled, no tag or insurance until after the conversion is complete and she's ready to hit the road.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
The DMV is a state office so you can go to any one in the state to take care of the title transfer. If you have to pay property taxes like we do here in SC (extortion) then you have to go to the county office to pay those before you can get your tag. Here's what happened when I did mine 9I called the main DMV office even before purchasing the bus to find out the process.

Quote:
Went to the DMV today. WHen I walked up to the counter I told the lady I wanted to title my bus as an RV. She asked if I had it inspected and I asked where do I get that done and how do I do it without a tag of some sort? She began writing down a phone number for the state DMV office and I told her I had already talked to them before the purchase to find out if it was possible. at that she went to talk with her supervisor. When she got back she said no problem. She just needed my license, a receipt for the sale, the title and a form 400. She gave me a form 400, a pen and directed me to the counter to fill out my paperwork. Once done I returned to the counter and things went pretty smoothly. There was one thing a bit different on the original title though in that the title says the make was Genesis. I had always thought the model was a Genesis and the Make was AmTrans. The title will read Genesis make and model. So it will be titled a Genesis, Genesis Motorhome in the state of SC. $148.75 later and in 2 weeks the title should be mailed to me. Gonna wait until I put it on the road to get the tags for it. Anyhow, pretty painless after a few strange looks from the people at the counter. That hurdle is now over with!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
Bus Nut

We got insurance first cause we thought it was a requirement. Maybe we're wrong but I thought that your insurance company has links to the DMV and if you cancel your insurance you'll be getting a letter from the DMV canceling your tags until you can show proof of insurance.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #31
Skoolie

Yes, that's if you have a tag. Getting a tag and doing a title registration (transfer) are two different things. Getting the titled transferred into my name just shows the new ownership, I still have to get insurance and a tag before I put it on the road, but I'm holding off on that until the conversion is complete.

Also, if you have a tag, and drop you insurance, you just have to send a letter to the DDS (DMV in some states) explaining that the vehicle isn't running and won't be on the road, they suspend your tag until you have it reinstated, no fuss.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #32
Skoolie

Care to help a fellow skoolie get on the road?

[Mod edit - link removed]
Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Good luck with that LOL
Old 07-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
Good luck with that LOL
I can barely make my own bills, let alone build my own bus, sorry....
Old 07-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #35
Bus Nut

If you don't have the money to fix up a bus just how do you plan to support a trip cross country????

Maybe you should rethink your plans
Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #36
Skoolie

Building it is the most expensive part! weekend, and week long trips are relatively inexpensive comparatively.

I guess it doesn't matter, the mods removed the link anyway. I guess asking for help is against the rules on here.

Tags
amtran, dt466, genesis