Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #81
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 6CT8.3
Rated Cap: 76
About time. Looks sweet. You really go all the way on things.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
The anticipation is killing me! When I read your proposal to install a taller windshield rather than the traditional "tall forehead" or mid-roof rise, I thought it was a great idea and added it to my mind's picture of my own project.

Yesterday I was out and passed a Safelite location (they're an auto glass chain in the US, nationwide I think) so I went in to inquire. Let me just say the lady there was not one of those "help the customer even if I can't help him" types.. As soon as I'd said I wanted a windshield for a bus she said "we don't do buses." "Well then suppose it was a motorhome," I said, and she replied that they don't like doing motorhomes.

In any case all she could tell me is that she can order glass from the manufacturer by application, or by the "bug" code printed on the original glass, but certainly not anything custom. So I'm wondering how you propose to (or already did) close yours up. I'm praying you won't install a wide sliding patio door panel hung sideways!
When I went looking for options, I got a bunch of the same non sense. People with no imagination, just used to changing parts.

So after 4 small glass shops, I decided to try a few big shops. Even with the big shops, I had to ask the right questions.

Flat glass is available in any size. You simply give them the dimensions, and they cut it to fit. They calculate the cost by the square foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm wondering what Nat is gonna do for a gasket for that. I'm really looking forward to seeing it done.
The gasket is also available by the foot. Ends where the gasket meet are sealed up with a dab of the black windshield sealant.

For more info, you guys are going to have to wait till I post the pics.;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_bertha View Post
About time. Looks sweet. You really go all the way on things.
Thx, I try.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #83
Bus Geek

I taped off the bottoms of the ribs so I could fill them full of spray foam.

You can see the foam bleeding out from the rivet holes in the ribs.

I primed the new sheets and part of the old steel. I also started fitting the new bottom panels.

My border collie wiener dog mix loves the build.

Por 15 paint is listed as a metal adhesive, so I clamped on the bottom panel with wet por 15 paint behind it, permanently gluing the two pieces of steel together.

The rest of the pieces layed out, waiting to go on.

Template for my wheel well cut outs. I chose this shape over round. It fit's the boxy look of the bus.

Wheel well piece cut.

Wheel well piece clamped on. I also painted primed of the door.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #84
Bus Geek

Time to dig into fixing the spot where the old stairwell was.

I painted the panel that will cover the bottom half of the old door opening.

I started cutting out the remaining old rusty metal.

My chisel and 4 pound hammer make the cut.

I hate the way blue bird used tubing for structure. It collects dirt, that collects moisture causing megga rust.

This tube runs over the frame and in front of the passenger side wheel well. It's packed completely full of dirt and rust.

Almost loose.

You can see the dirt that didn't fall out yet. I have been hammering on this piece.

That's as far as the dirt went into the tube. Over 2 feet from the entry point.

Again, all done with cordless.

99% cleaned up.

Now I can wash the tubes out, convert the rust, and paint them inside.

Nat

Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #85
Bus Geek

I had no time to post pics today, so I will leave this here to look at.

Cabin Build for the Old Timer.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...old-timer.html

Nat

Old 02-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
You add a whole new meaning to the term "frame up". Whew what a lot of work!! Glad to know they're others out there with the gift/curse of tenacity. Keep the pics coming!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
You add a whole new meaning to the term "frame up". Whew what a lot of work!! Glad to know they're others out there with the gift/curse of tenacity. Keep the pics coming!!
Thx, I will.

Nat

Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #88
Bus Geek

I bought a new aluminum rad from Mo Pac in Edmonton for the steal of a deal of $200. It weighs less than 25 pounds.

Sitting in place, testing out clearance.

Time to strip this down for cleaning, modification, and paining.

I pulled a electric fan and shroud off a minivan in the junk yard. It was a perfect fit.

I'm completely changing the layout of the front end. This is the engine air cleaner. It was under the bus in a bad place to change. This is where it will be mounted now. A matching air cleaner will be on the drivers side for incoming cabin air to supply the defroster.

Now the air cleaner will be simple and comfortable to change.
I will be extending the front bumper out a foot.

Nat

Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #89
Bus Geek

Late fall was upon us and it was starting to get cold outside at night. Se we emptied enough of our stuff out of the tool shed to move in. Before this we were sleeping in a mini van for the last month.

My wife Shayleen laying on our bed reading by my 20 volt Dewalt flashlight.

The bed is sitting on totes of our belongings.

Swiper laying on my welding apron.

My hired help also staying with us.

Piles of totes of our belongings from when we moved. The cross bow is for gathering food in case we can't afford meat.

Frying some potatoes from the garden.

Looking towards the door from the bed.

And shrimp to go with the potatoes.

Nat

Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I'm starting to understand you, man!
This build is EPIC bro!
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote