Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
Skoolie

Re: The Fun Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
You better get a hard hat to wear while working on the bus. I wouldn't step within 50 ft of that bus with a 4" angle grinder without safety glasses, a face shield, ear protection, welding gloves, coveralls, and better shave your head. You better wear a respirator too.
(SIGH!)

pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
You better get a hard hat to wear while working on the bus. I wouldn't step within 50 ft of that bus with a 4" angle grinder without safety glasses, a face shield, ear protection, welding gloves, coveralls, and better shave your head. You better wear a respirator too.

Just be carefull that grinding wheel will cut skin like butter.
Maybe you should just rent a suit of armor from one of those renaissance revival organizations!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

David was using the cut-off wheel on my multi-use tool today (actually a trim router). He was holding the tool with it running (not cutting at the time) and the wheel blew apart. He got a cut in his chest. He said he was trying to do heart surgery. Minor in that the cut was just thru the skin and laid along the surface of the skin. A couple Bandaids and he was just fine. this is not the first cutoff wheel that the tool has blow apart. Those cutting wheels just aren't made for high speed (and these are the 4" heavy ones). Power tools are dangerous.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
David was using the cut-off wheel on my multi-use tool today (actually a trim router). He was holding the tool with it running (not cutting at the time) and the wheel blew apart. He got a cut in his chest. He said he was trying to do heart surgery. Minor in that the cut was just thru the skin and laid along the surface of the skin. A couple Bandaids and he was just fine. this is not the first cutoff wheel that the tool has blow apart. Those cutting wheels just aren't made for high speed (and these are the 4" heavy ones). Power tools are dangerous.
Cutting wheels ARE made for high speeds. The RPM rate for it should be printed either on the package or the wheel itself. Buy only quality brands, or take your chances with substandard junk. Also the problem is that sometimes, when laying the tool down, we hit the wheel against the floor or workbench. If hit hard enough it may crack (even if the crack is invisible) and fly apart when powered again. A cutting wheel or grinding stone that has been dropped or hit should be discarded. Period.
Power tools are not dangerous if properly used. Do not abuse them, treat them with reasonable care and you will be fine.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The angle grinder is the wild weasel of power tools, but for bus work it is a magic tool. The flowing skirt, though, reminds me of the fire I stated with mine.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopak
Quote:
Cutting wheels ARE made for high speeds. The RPM rate for it should be printed either on the package or the wheel itself. Buy only quality brands, or take your chances with substandard junk....
Not at the high speeds a router puts out (about 30,000 revolutions per minute)! And these are good wheels. I've destroyed so many, all brands... I like the Gyros ones best, they hold together better. But the trim router tool is my favourite toy. I've had it for about 8 years now. They don't make it any more. Only router I liked better was David's little Rockwell laminate trimmer router. It was over 20 yo when he sold it. I had used it for 15 years. Built many a custom laminate countertop with it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #27
Skoolie

OK, we have a misunderstanding somewhere here. A rotary cutter (rated at around 10000 RPM) uses cutting wheels and grinding stones. A laminate trimmer uses trimming bits made entirely of forged metal NO CUTTING WHEELS! (even if they fit the arbor). If you are using wheels on a trimmer you are going to have trouble.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
Bus Geek

My little tool is MADE to accept lots of things. Might be why they no longer make it. Describing as a trim router is the closest I can get to describing it. Beefier and faster than a Rotozip. Came with a plunge router base, freehand routing/cutting base and a freehand handle (and a circle cutter). Along with 1/4 & 1/2 router bits and spiral cutters, it also is supposed to take cutting wheels. Not variable speed. Cuts thru stuff in nothing flat. Destroys those Dremel brand cutoff wheels when I turn the unit on! I used to have a pile of them made for jewelry work that were more durable. I bought them from a jewlery maker in NC. So I didn't know the manufacturer name. Still too small for the work I normally do.

WOW, you would of had a hissy fit over "Baby". Baby was a very small pneumatic nail gun that took a wide variety of nails and brads. All the safety was disabled. Which meant it would shoot nails without being pressed up against anything. A feature needed when you needed to nail toekicks and trim in places where you could not get a hammer or nail gun into. David sold Baby to another trim carpenter who had seen it in use. The builder David bought Baby from had scars all over his legs from shooting himself accidentally with brads (he would just pull them out with his fingers or a pair of pliers for the deeper ones). Baby had a touchy trigger. I've never met a pro carpenter who had been working any length of time that didn't have most of the safety stuff removed from their tools. For pros, a lot of it is more dangerous than running the equipment without it. (IE: the crap to prevent a table saw from kicking back material is more dangerous than the material actually kicking back). And I have lost the tip of one of my fingers from getting careless with my table saw (my fault, was pushing too fast to get things done on a short time frame...learned my lesson... slow down). First "major" accident I had in over 20 years of of woodworking. Power tools are dangerous. I have learned to not get careless and to stop working when I get tired. Otherwise.. stuff happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #29
Skoolie

I also remove most of the "safety features" from my power tools. Still have all my fingers intact. No need to pull nails from body parts either. But I still regard running a 10000 rpm cutting wheel in a 30000 rpm tool as (insert strong expletive) insane.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
I also remove most of the "safety features" from my power tools. Still have all my fingers intact. No need to pull nails from body parts either. But I still regard running a 10000 rpm cutting wheel in a 30000 rpm tool as (insert strong expletive) insane.
Some folks consider someone who cuts up a perfectly good school bus and wastes their time and money converting one into an RV "crazy". They reason that you can buy a manufactured RV cheaper. As for what you regard (your opinion... you know what they say about opinions)... I will file that in the same category I filed the comments about our homeschooling our kids... and a few of the things I have had directed at me on this forum. Folks on here have done things that I believe is insane as well.

PS. Why don't you add me to your "foe" list? That way you never have to read what I post? Why read what "insane" folks do? Thanks!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Quote:
Some folks consider someone who cuts up a perfectly good school bus and wastes their time and money converting one into an RV "crazy". They reason that you can buy a manufactured RV cheaper. As for what you regard (your opinion... you know what they say about opinions)... I will file that in the same category I filed the comments about our homeschooling our kids... and a few of the things I have had directed at me on this forum. Folks on here have done things that I believe is insane as well.

PS. Why don't you add me to your "foe" list? That way you never have to read what I post? Why read what "insane" folks do? Thanks!

OOH!!! Do I feel some tension here?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:

(Deep sigh.....)
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The irony of it all is this threads title is "The Fun Side".
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #34
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
The irony of it all is this threads title is "The Fun Side".
Yup. The hijack happens from time to time. It happened on my thread when the subject of 'chemtrails' came up.

The Caspers are a fine upstanding family. The son is an able-bodied blacksmith. I look forward to seeing how great their bus will be.

Side note; Shawn Phillips was an Austin homeboy for many years.

"Arthur to Shawn Phillips: "There's an old, old story I heard that you got your long hair caught up in a propellor. Is that true?"

"The propellor shaft, not the propellor of my boat in 1976. Cost me a month and a half in intensive care. It was just me being stupid or something, that's what it was."

The writer is kind of dumb, because everybody knows 'propellor' is spelled propeller.
http://www.iowrock.demon.co.uk/archive/ ... s_int.html
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote