Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #112
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: The Good Ship Anne Marie

On those glow plugs, check the relay just because it clicks doesn't mean it works.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #113
Bus Crazy

The controller rarely goes bad.

Glow plugs are usually only good for 40,000-75,000 miles depending upon the number of cycles they have gone through.

Replace all eight at once or you will be continually replacing them one at a time.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #114
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

That really sucks about having to redo the inside. But it is looking really good!! The windows in my bus leaked terrible before I started converting. Made my mind up pretty easy to remove and replace. Doing so I lost all the natural light though. Seems everything is a trade off. That wood stove is awesome!! I read up on it online after seeing your post. We don't do any cold weather camping, but that has me thinking about it... Keep up the good work.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #115
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach
The controller rarely goes bad.

Glow plugs are usually only good for 40,000-75,000 miles depending upon the number of cycles they have gone through.

Replace all eight at once or you will be continually replacing them one at a time.
Yeah that's right but I'm not talking about the controller. The relay in the middle of the engine does go bad, they used some from India and any time current got to high the contacts would burn up. Did about 50,000 recalls on them, relay would click no heat from the glow plugs.

chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #116
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78

when installing the boards on the ceiling, how do you know you are going to end up evenly at the other side, is there a special process when you start?

Juliol
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #117
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol
when installing the boards on the ceiling, how do you know you are going to end up evenly at the other side, is there a special process when you start?
We don't end up even on the other side - our special process involves a router ;). We're actually in the process now of routing the boards straight instead of letting them come down between the windows. I'll post some pictures once we're done, it looks quite a bit cleaner.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #118
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somjuan
Thanks, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroequinologist
Did you just use self tapping screws?
Normal #8 1.5" sheet metal screws, not self tappers. We pre-drilled our holes through both the wood and metal with a 1/8" cobalt bit, and used a #8 countersink bit to get the heads nice and flush.

I don't know whether this will be a problem for you or not, but very very occasionally, we'd drill through the wood right into a hole in the rib where a rivet had been. Sometimes, the screw we put in wouldn't hold at all, other times it would. Either way, at this point you're faced with either leaving the screw in and doing the next rib down the line to be sure it stays in place, or putting the whole board into the scrap pile for when a shorter piece is called for.
I know its been a while on this but if you look in the caulk area at Lowes ETC they sell Wood Filler That can fill in mis-drills and can be used to cover screw heads before staining painting Etc . It is available in several colors to match most woods
Code:
http://elmers.com/product/detail/E868
even can be used to fill cracks and minor imperfections there are several differant products in this area each used to fix specific issues with wood products .
Old 11-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #119
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71

Thanks, though we've found the screw heads to be much less obvious when looking at the ceiling. It was a big concern of ours. We used a really knotty pine, and the screws are easily lost among the knots.

For the instances where we hit a rivet hole, it was rarely a problem to take that piece down and use it again when we had to cut a shorter length. There is just so much ceiling to cover, that barely anything went to waste.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #120
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79

Really enjoyed going through your build for the last hour!

I'm at the stage where I'm tearing off the roof, the side panels and the floors. You mentioned the construction of the side panels curling under the floor...I have a Gillig, so I'll have to check on their building style, but would you recommend taking the floor up before the side panels?

Also, kudos for such a beautiful job on the ceiling. I'm patterning my build off of that very same photo you shared in the beginning of your thread. It looks like you are achieving that same airy, woodsy, clean look. The knotty aspect of the pine is a great screw concealer...I'll keep that in mind when it comes time for the ceiling.

Again, thank you for such great reports and congrats on such a nice job all the way around!

Dug

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote