Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
Re: The Good Ship Anne Marie

@wagon - Noted, though I don't have a decent compressor, so that would be another expense. Plus I have impressive forearms now.
Dear people reading this for advice - take heed!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Somjuan, where in Central CT are you. I'm in East Hampton. Bob
BelltownBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I think hes in Middletown. That makes 3 Skoolies in 10 miles.
Juan-if you need air or welding-and you can give a bit more time than "by next week", I can help. Willing to swap out for some veg oil. I got a pretty complete fab shop here in Moodus.
I'm around this weekend-but off racing the following weekend.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
I think hes in Middletown.
Bingo.

I appreciate the offer, and have lots of veggie to trade, though it'll need to be for some indefinite time in the future, as we're taking steps forward on a wooden deck/frame. It'll get put through its paces in the coming weeks, and we'll know whether there are any shortcomings fairly soon. I'll be in touch regardless, since I always find myself wishing I could weld for a project.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
Bus Geek

check out this method of attaching

https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Almost There

Not bad, that looks pretty clean. Does anyone have any long term experience with pressure treated wood on the roof? I would be concerned that runoff would corrode steel further down in the bus.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Roger the "new" treated lumber chemistry. It attacks untreated steel very aggressively.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by somjuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
I think hes in Middletown.
Bingo.

I appreciate the offer, and have lots of veggie to trade, though it'll need to be for some indefinite time in the future, as we're taking steps forward on a wooden deck/frame. It'll get put through its paces in the coming weeks, and we'll know whether there are any shortcomings fairly soon. I'll be in touch regardless, since I always find myself wishing I could weld for a project.
Weld-bend sheet or tubing-cut -i'm pretty well set up. I'm out in the garage pretty much every night-if you need a bracket or some small thing fabed up, I can knock it out after work. The email is sdwarf36@aol.com

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Roger the "new" treated lumber chemistry. It attacks untreated steel very aggressively.
That's what I'm told, though I've seen a lot of roof decks using pressure treated. I know galvanized is safe around the stuff, but I haven't found out anything about stainless. I'm told that in Connecticut, lumberyards are not allowed to store it outside on account of the runoff, so I imagine it would make it's way down the bus.

This is mostly academic interest, since I'm just going with cedar.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
. . .Is there any reason I can't build a wooden deck, similar to the floating metal frame above, with 4x4s acting as the feet?
I can't think of who did it, but in some of the projects here I have seen beams (2x6s?) cut to the curve of the roof as the support for a deck . . . .

When (if?) I build a bus, I would personally use the "floating metal frame" if I could. But I would not have the two tall feet like in the project you linked to:

I would have shorter side feet moved out two planks more toward the edges, and a short section of horizontal metal tube to add another mounting foot under the middle of the frame. The frame would have feet over the ribs at the top and two sides instead of the two in the picture, and would sit 3-5 inches lower than the one in the photo.

p.s. Someone here who uses their bus for a race viewing platform noted that uninvited intoxicated "guests" would appear on the platform when there is an outside ladder. Due to the nuisance and liability they recommended having interior access through a roof hatch instead. Just sayin' . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
I can't think of who did it, but in some of the projects here I have seen beams (2x6s?) cut to the curve of the roof as the support for a deck . . . .
TygerCub's deck is a little like that. We had considered doing something more along the lines of cut 2x6s or 2x8s bolted to the ribs, but I think there will be more disadvantages to a design like than than there would be advantages. I think so much material so close to the deck will collect wet dirt, leaves and grime. I also worry that bolting into the side of a 2x6 will weaken it substantially. I don't claim to know anything about this, but those are concerns I have.

Quote:
p.s. Someone here who uses their bus for a race viewing platform noted that uninvited intoxicated "guests" would appear on the platform when there is an outside ladder. Due to the nuisance and liability they recommended having interior access through a roof hatch instead. Just sayin' . . . .
I understand this concern, but that won't be a route I'm going. I don't have any stock roof hatches, and I'm not brave enough to make my own. I've been thinking about making the exterior ladder fold up to at least make the deck not explicitly inviting when I don't want it to be.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:
TygerCub's deck is a little like that. We had considered doing something more along the lines of cut 2x6s or 2x8s bolted to the ribs, but I think there will be more disadvantages to a design like than than there would be advantages. I think so much material so close to the deck will collect wet dirt, leaves and grime. I also worry that bolting into the side of a 2x6 will weaken it substantially. I don't claim to know anything about this, but those are concerns I have.

Quote:
I understand this concern, but that won't be a route I'm going. I don't have any stock roof hatches, and I'm not brave enough to make my own. I've been thinking about making the exterior ladder fold up to at least make the deck not explicitly inviting when I don't want it to be.
Hell ya! A rope ladder so you can pull it up!! Like a tree fort or pirate ship..............sweet.......or a cargo net like navy and marines
Old 07-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hell ya! A rope ladder so you can pull it up!! Like a tree fort or pirate ship..............sweet.......or a cargo net like navy and marines
Hmm a rope ladder would limit the drunks abilities...and be a fun "dismount"
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
Almost There

It looks now like we're going to go with a standard aluminum ladder, with a bike rack option. The bike rack, with either bikes or chairs locked to it, should easily deter anyone with a casual interest in the roof deck. More on the deck later - we've bought supplies, and are finalizing plans, but don't really have anything to share.

First off, check out this mouse damage:

It's only damage to the insulation, though they got in through a small rust hole a bit lower. That has since been treated and sealed.

I've been reading the forums here for nearly six years, and somehow never noted the struggle with chair rail removal. The wall between the chair rail and the windows came off very easily once we removed the rivets. This was not the case from the chair rail to the floor. I completely missed this thread, and somehow glossed over this detail in . Take note: the chair rail does not stop at the floor! It bends down under the ribs, and below the floor.

We learned this the hard way by brute forcing our way into it. We went ahead with an angle grinder and sawzall and cut out much of the chair rail. The three strips of metal still attached to the ribs in the photo below actually have small spot welds that I couldn't see before cutting.

Anyway, that's what we're working on at the moment. We're going to have a real clean slate to start building on when we're done here.

And a question for you folks - at the front of the bus in the first roof panel, there is a small vent whose purpose I don't really understand. There was only fiberglass insulation and the permeable screen-like sheet metal up there with it. It never leaked, and it doesn't look like any water or bugs got in, but there it is. Will I need to keep this vent open? What was its function?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #35
Bus Geek

It is just a vent to let the bus breath,during long spells of sitting
I am sure there is something scientific about it tho'.....it needs to breath anyway it works out
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I have one of those little vents on my bus. I covered it up on the inside with my carpeted ceiling. I don't think that it has affected anything. I have been living in this bus for over five years.

In the summer, I use my window air conditioner. In the winter I leave two of the windows open a half inch because I use propane catalytic heaters.

There is always ventilation of some sort.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #37
Almost There

Alright, after a bit of traveling and a little time to rest and enjoy the weather, it's time to get back to work.
We've got the roof painted with two coats of BusKote, and we should be applying a third shortly. Insulation is getting cut and fitted. I'll post some pictures shortly.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
Almost There

Here we're putting the finishing touches around the bluebird - we're still planning on doing a third coat.
I cut the battery door off today, the hinges and latch had basically rusted shut. I'll be making a new door and attaching it soon.

Insulation cut and fitted. We'll be filling in the gaps with Great Stuff.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #39
Almost There

Great Stuff is really fun. I've never had a chance to use it so extensively before - it works wonders. Our walls are very solid now. One note: the can warns you not to get it on your skin. Take heed! It is a massive pain to get it off of you, just don't get it on in the first place.

We trimmed the excess foam with a razor on a stick. I'm not really sure what the tool is called, I think it's used for drywall. It worked very well. Touched up the primer coat on the floor, and started laying down insulation.

We laid down Red Rosin Paper, and are trimming our floor insulation to fit.
We'll have R12 in the walls, 6 on the floor, and somewhere in between in the ceiling. We should have the plywood subfloor in tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Great Stuff is really fun. I've never had a chance to use it so extensively before - it works wonders. Our walls are very solid now. One note: the can warns you not to get it on your skin. Take heed! It is a massive pain to get it off of you, just don't get it on in the first place.
Out of curiosity, how many cans of Great Stuff did you use?
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote