Thanks for the photo kudos - I bought my first camera around the time this project started, and I've been learning along the way. Also, you have no idea how excited I am to run that woodstove - we're only about two weeks away.
Passive solar update: yesterday saw a high of 45 F outside, and we hit a little above 80 F in the bus by early afternoon. If I was in an area with a clear Eastern exposure, I imagine it would peak even sooner.
We started attaching our ceiling to the bus ribs. It overhangs a little, and we're going to trim it to fit just right, but that's down the road a ways. We worked our way up one row at a time, using screws to secure the boards where they needed it. The boards, 5/16th" T&G wainscoting from Lowe's
, didn't need quite as many screws as we originally expected. Many boards only have one or two screws keeping them in place. Because of this, we actually had no trouble covering up the LedgerLoks or the carriage bolts we used to secure the roof deck in place.
Our method was to fit a board where it was going to go, pre-drill through both the wood and the metal, then countersink the hole, then secure the board with a screw (1.5" #
. It worked very well, and they're not very visible unless you're looking for them.
We added the insulation as we went. Most of what we used was the stock insulation we had kept from when we took the sheet metal ceiling down. The stock insulation originally spanned the ceiling in three parts - one long part covering 80% of the span, and two shorter lengths to either side. We broke this up into five or so segments, and added the insulation above us as the boards progressed.
This wasn't a particular difficult part of the conversion, but it took some serious time. The ceiling took the better part of a week (with lots of trial and error, of course, along the way).
The wiring that runs the length of the port side of the bus will be hidden away in a little channel we build, so the only wires that remained above the ceiling were for clearance lights and turn signals.
The finished (or very nearly) product. Like I mentioned above, we still have to trim the boards to fit the windows just right, but the vast majority of the work is behind us. I'm very pleased with how it came out, and even more pleased to be done with the insulation. At some point in the future, we'll seal it with a flat or satin poly finish, leaving the natural color.
Next up, cutting a hole in that perfect ceiling for a chimney!