Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
The Good Ship Anne Marie

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Hey all, I started a thread a few years back when I was originally converting my skoolie into a roadtrip machine. I succeeded in the conversion, but was soon on the road and unable to update. Things were busy, and I'm going to leave that thread buried wherever it is now. My bus is about to enter her next phase of life, but here's a quick recap on that first conversion.

It was quick and dirty, on a really tight budget, but we managed to build an interior that could sleep ten people, and keep us all relatively comfortable and sane.

We traveled over ten thousand miles, mostly on WVO, throughout the summer of 2009. We had no facilities on the bus (save for a sink that quickly became unusable), and spent a lot of time in Walmart parking lots.

Since that summer, she's only been used a few weeks of the year for music festivals.

The time has come to change that. My girlfriend and I are tearing out the ratty roadtrip interior, and we're building our new home. We live in New England, and it will be built to weather all four seasons comfortably. I'm going to post more soon, but I wanted to get the ball rolling here. We're still working on demolition, and finalizing all of the plans for the interior, but it is going to be quite an undertaking. I can't thank everyone who has posted here enough, it legitimately wouldn't be possible without all of you posting your experiences and advice. I'm hoping I can add a tiny bit to that.

More photos of the 2009 trip here, current project blog here, and most posts here in the very near future. Though I'm actually traveling out of town this weekend, when I return we'll be back to our current schedule of working every available minute on the bus.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: The Good Ship Anne Marie

Welcome back take note of announcements in very bottom area problems and ideas
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Almost There

Thanks, noted.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Almost There

The floor is up and painted. This took a surprisingly long time, though looking back, it really shouldn't be surprising. There is one massive difference between my school bus conversion and many of the other buses on this forum: mine has had a leaky, sloppy, shoestring budget veggie system in the back for the last 4 years. Much of the oil that had dripped out or spilled or whatnot had soaked into the plywood under the rubber flooring, and had made its way down to the steel beneath all that. You can see the sheen on the steel at the rear of the bus in the picture below:

Rough stuff. As you can also see, the steel is a little rusty. Or a lot rusty. It came to me from Minnesota, and experienced a lot of hard winters out there. So, two big problems to tackle. We took care of both of these problems with an angle grinder and a wire cup brush. After grinding down the nails that you can see poking up above, we slowly brushed away the surface rust on the floor panels. In the rear, we used a little degreaser and the cup brush to get most of the oil (and rust) out of the bus. We were covered in the stuff by the end of the day. Now, I've been pretty soaked in vegetable oil before, but dried old oil is far worse. These shoes were not salvageable.

Ok, so, rust up and oil out. Now to make sure these floors stay in good shape. Following the lead of TygerCub, we liberally applied a coat of Ospho to rusty spots (so, you know, everywhere), and let it dry.

Yes, we used a whole lot. But it's much better! Now a coat of Rustoleum primer, and we're good to go.

You can still see some of the oil stuck to the walls. But I don't need to worry about the floor anymore! Huzzah for a job done right!

We're working on pulling off the wall panels now, also a slow process. But it is instantly gratifying, and a nice release. More on that later.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by somjuan
Huzzah for a job done right!
OMG! Someone besides my kids who says "Huzzah". They fell in love with the word after a trip to Williamsburg.

You might want to hang on to your nasty shoes (maybe soak them in a bit of degreaser or the commercial ProForce Pink dish detergent from Sams Club). Having a pair of "work"shoes to go with your "work clothes" is handy. I could not get the bus grime (diesel, oil, dirt, filth, crud, paint, goo and other unknowns) out of my clothes. Luckily I didn't worry about shoes... I worked barefoot. Shoes are evil.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I could not get the bus grime (diesel, oil, dirt, filth, crud, paint, goo and other unknowns) out of my clothes.
Double-load Washer, two pucks of Purex packs, Resolve Stain remover spray, Remove In-Wash Stain Remover, Shout Colour-Catcher, AND only putting the clothes you worked in the washer.... $2.50 for wash and dry BUT CLEAN!

Quote:
Luckily I didn't worry about shoes... I worked barefoot. Shoes are evil.
And did you SEE how long it took to get that grime off'a ya skin?

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
Almost There

That oil is mean stuff. While it's nice to have work shoes, I wasn't able to walk around without dragging things along with me, whether it was gravel, grass, leaves, screws - if it wasn't bolted down, it was coming with me. For reference, the only way I've found to get the hard stuff off my skin is using brillo pads. You don't want to do that to more of your body than you have to.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
I could not get the bus grime (diesel, oil, dirt, filth, crud, paint, goo and other unknowns) out of my clothes.
Double-load Washer, two pucks of Purex packs, Resolve Stain remover spray, Remove In-Wash Stain Remover, Shout Colour-Catcher, AND only putting the clothes you worked in the washer.... $2.50 for wash and dry BUT CLEAN!
That's too much trouble for clothes I bought at the thrift store!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
That's too much trouble for clothes I bought at the thrift store!
Which is worse, having to go SHOPPING to BUY new clothes or just chucking them in the washer?

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Neither one sounds appealing to me!