Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #81
Mini-Skoolie

Re: The Hubbly Bubbly Bus!

dont know what kind of carb
itsme1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #82
Mini-Skoolie

i dont know who replaced cap,roter,or,points sooo is indeed the firing correct?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #83
Mini-Skoolie

there is no way he drove it there like that.....does anyone here have that firing order? 68 ford 390 2bbl ?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
cylinder 1-4 are down the passenger side-5-8 on drivers. Dist turns counter clockwise.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #85
Mini-Skoolie

he said something about hes mecanic,quote
We replaced the alternator and the regulator, and now the thing won't turn over at all. It tries, but nothing. We have the mechanic staying with us on the bus in trade for him working on it, and he is going nuts over the wiring, which he says is done all sorts of screwy. Keeps mumbling and grumbling about how Hippies shouldn't ever be allowed to work on vehicles....lol. It also turns out that we managed to get a flat tyre somewhere, but luckily it's on a dual set, so we can still carefully move it.

i dont know which wires he was talking...plug wires?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #86
Mini-Skoolie

Improve
Your firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, your stock carb be should set at 2 turns out on each side of the front carb adjustment. Put the #1 cylinder at top dead center and verify that your balancer is set withing 3 degress of 0, then remove your distributer cap and verify the position of rotor bug is at at the begining of the #1 plug contact. Adjust your idle screw in just enough to see the butterflies in your carb move, then turn in 1/4 turn to get started (this will give you a high idle). Verify that all electrical, vaccum, Once you get everything set try to start engine. Once you get it started, lower the idle to around 1,000 rpm then set the timing with timing light to 10 - 12 degress, then lower idle 600rpm and redo timing. (this will allow you quicker adjustment without stalling the engine at low rpm). Once your locked in set the advance to around 35-36 degress by 2800 rpm
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #87
Site Team

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72

If fuel is coming from your carb either the needle has a bit of debris under it our your float has sunk. period. A trick that often works to clean the needle is to pinch off the rubber fuel line while engine is running at an idle. (usually takes a couple of minutes) Release the hose as engine starts to die. This allows the float to drop to its lowest and opens the needle and seat wide. Uually what ever is under the needle will wash out. Also make sure the manual choke is open.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #88
Mini-Skoolie

No problem! I hoped you could get that info to him he will probably need a timing light by the time it's all over( I have one) keep us posted!!!!..... I'm thinking your firing is out of order ... Just my 2cents plus a rebuilt carb And a pass side exhaust gasket.... Good luck .... Jeff
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #89
Site Team

The idle air screws actually regulate the airflow past them to help with the idling mix, when the throttle plate is closed...
I have seen people screw these all the way in trying to fix a problem and then they have to turn idle screw up so enough air bleeds around the throttle plates becasue of that

The carb still gets gas from the line into the float bowl and then shuts off flow into the bowl when float shuts off the fuel needle(so carb doesn't flood with fuel)sounds like yours is over flowing

the main jets regulate the amount of fuel that can be drawn through them in relation to airflow through carb
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #90
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

If you firing order is off due to the wrong plug wires on the spark plugs your gonna get allota of badabooom all the time in backfiring and backfiring through carb; plus high risk of a carb fire. Same if the distributor timing is off also.
From what you mentioned and the carb was 'overhauled"; what kind of carb is it?
If it has floats in it and all that gas is coming out check to see if you have a bad float?
With all the hassle I'd yank the carb and buy rebuilt one from a chain auto parts store.
I would also check your oil to make sure it is not filled with gas that has run down past the piston rings.
You can have an engine run not really good no power etc. if the distributor is off by 180 degrees.
I would scratch around a junkyard looking for a two barrel Holley the has the same bolt manifold pattern and linkage to hookup the throttle.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote