I had to work late this week so I was able to take most of today off and work on the bus. Since the drivers side was in the shade, I worked on removing all the rivets that are in the way for the front piece of steel. I do not have a photo of the drivers side , but it is like this side.
After looking from the inside where the top strap meets the front piece of the roof. I decided that it would fit better if the top piece was 1/4" wider. So back to cutting steel.
I also measured and cut the side straps.
Now marking to pre-drill for the rivets was hard. I put the top strap on the roof and marked as many of the old rivet holes as I could. The sides were not riveted, so I had to transfer and measure from the top piece. It took several tries because the top piece is marked from the bottom and the side from the top. I kept getting thing backwards. It pays to check and recheck.
I got the passenger side and top piece drilled.
The side piece will come down over the gutter.
So I cut it out and tack welded it to the side strap.
A little Butyl tape and 34 rivets and the first side piece is on.
Little by little I'm getting there. Tomorrow I will pre-drill the drivers side piece and rivet it and the top piece on. Then I can mark the top of the front piece for the final cut and start welding. Once the front piece is welded, I will use cardboard to make templates for the front side pieces. I can't wait to see it all together.