Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #801
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Yes, but I want the option to takedown and move things until I have it the way I want.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #802
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Have you tried lock washers and thread lock?

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #803
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I'm thinking about glued-in wood screws myself...
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #804
Bus Nut

The steel is so thin you barely get one thread on the screws. I'm taking about how the 1/4 plywood is attached to the framing. Lock washers would look weird on your walls.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #805
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey View Post
We have been doing some camping in the bus. I'm planning to start working on it again. I will post here when I do.

I did some of my walls using the steel framing, but have to rip it out because the screws keep working their way out from the vibration of driving the bus
Did you put any kind of adhesive on them when you installed the screws??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #806
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My thought too. Some modern construction adhesives can hold almost like a weld...and will take vibration better. They are using it here on my building even as I write to lock some 14 gauge steel framing down to the concrete. Course...the building doesn't move that much, but still...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #807
Bus Nut

I want the option to take it down and move things until I have it the way I want. That would make it too permanent. The other thing is with 1/4 plywood the walls are flimsy. I'm going back to wood.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #808
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I want the option to take it down and move things until I have it the way I want. That would make it too permanent. The other thing is with 1/4 plywood the walls are flimsy. I'm going back to wood.
I'm only 11 pages through this 80 page and counting thread. I had to skip to this post to see how it all turned out. It's encouraging to see that this is an ongoing story.

I am currently focused on about 15+ busses from Montgomery County Schools on GovDeals right now. All I need is a place to store and work on the bus then there is a high degree of certainty that I will pull the trigger on this.

Your project is awesome.
whirlygigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #809
Bus Nut

Thanks, I ran out of money and just now getting back to working on it. We have been using it a lot. Several camping trips and a fun trip to NY City. We are hoping to head out through the Dakota's and back in August.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #810
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Thanks, I ran out of money and just now getting back to working on it. We have been using it a lot. Several camping trips and a fun trip to NY City. We are hoping to head out through the Dakota's and back in August.
That sounds very awesome. In a few months, you may see me rolling about in a converted Skoolie.
whirlygigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #811
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Quote:
i can relate to the money thing over the years
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #812
Mini-Skoolie

Im not going to say anything that hasn't already been said but great build and thank you for all the information and inspiration you have provided.

I have found a great bus although pricey it has everything I want (engine, transmission, basement storage, low enough miles, no rust, etc.). I am just hesitant knowing what a big project this will be. My wife and I discussed the fact that it doesn't need to be complete to enjoy and use it. Hopefully things work out.

Thanks again!

Eric
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #813
Bus Nut

Mine is far from complete, but we use it a lot. I need some free time to work on it again

Welcome to the madness.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #814
Mini-Skoolie

Wm: I just finished reading the thread start to finish. Your work is an inspiration! When I finally get my bus I'm printing this thread as a step-by-step guide (minus the roof raise... a bridge too far for me)!
ArmyChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #815
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Yes, this is a GREAT build!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #816
Bus Nut

Long Hiatus

It is good to be back.

I know it has been a long time since I’ve updated about the bus. Some work has been done, but not much. I have been using it for some travel and camping, but now I’m living in it. Due to life changes this is now my new home.

I did install a frig and microwave, I know, that is a big microwave. I originally wanted an above stove microwave to put above my cooking area to vent the fumes outside. As I used the bus I realized that the Maxxair Max fan Deluxe vents the bus just fine and it is about a foot from the cooking area. So I decided it would be over kill.

They are mounted to the floor and wall and stay in place very well when traveling. I plan to build a cabinet here and mount them in it with a pantry on the side. The refrig is a 7.4 cu ft Danby. The microwave is a big honking Samsung. You can also see part of the 6′ couch I have strapped in. It is big enough to sleep on.

I have a 6′ folding table strapped down to use as my kitchen. I have Sterilite Storage bins underneath the table for my dry foods, kitchen utensils, plates, silverware, pots, pans and so forth. The blue container is my running water, it hold five gallons. The table will be replaced with two 36″ kitchen cabinets. The TV tray will be replaced with a computer desk. I plan to build a temporary one soon to use and figure out what works.

This is my bedroom, all I have in it is my queen size Sleep Number bed. Everything else is just lying on the floor. The bed is on a temporary pedestal. I used what left over wood I had to get a usable bed. It will be replaced with one about 6″ higher with storage underneath. The bed platform will be hinged to get to the stuff under it. On the engine shelf behind the bed I will build in storage and leave 4′ in the center for the window/escape hatch/Air conditioner. That will give me two 4′ x 2′ x 2′ storage areas beside the window and a 2′ x 4′ x 2′ storage area above the window. That equals 48 cu ft of storage, not too shabby.

This is the space above my battery bank viewed from my bed. I realized I could mount a dresser recessed into that space. I have room there for a 4′ dresser. I want to mount it in a way that it will be easy to remove to get to the batteries in the future.

This is where I was going to put a shower, it is a 7′ x 3′ x 2.5′ space. After talking to many RV’ers most do not use their showers, either to small, or do not hold enough water and tired of filling their water tank. Even where I’m parked I have access to a shower at my gym and it forces me to go and workout So I’m going to re-purpose it as storage and a closet. Right now it is a mess.

Actually living it the bus is helping me see what works and what doesn’t. So beware all this could change as I use the bus.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #817
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Welcome back.

We have missed you. Thx for the up date.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #818
Bus Nut

Webasto Hydronic Heater Maintenance.

Right after moving into the bus I realized I had forgotten that my system broke on my trip back from New York about a year ago. I haven’t had to use it since… Lucky for me the first night only got down to 42. I set my alarm to go off every two hrs and started the bus to heat. The next day it was going to get down to 34, time to research the problem.

The Webasto does start up and run, just does not fire. It is getting diesel, and I hear the igniter fire but no heat. The first possible issue is the fuel jet is clogged and dribbling not atomizing the fuel to ignite. You are suppose to clean the burn chamber and replace the fuel jet every year. I’ve had the bus two years now and have not does this maintenance.

Lucky for me I remembered I ordered one right after I bought the bus, now where did I put that thing. I was digging through my tool box for something else and guess what I found

Cleaning the burn chamber and replacing the fuel jet was relatively easy.

As you can see after two year it is relatively clean. I was lucky and the unit failed two years before I bought the bus and then replaced it with a whole new unit.

You have to loosen and swing out of the way the two Burner Head Hinge Bolts. The rear one is hard to get to. You will see in the next photo that there is an access hole in the back panel. You have to reach under the unit and stick the end of your wrench out the hole to get to the nut. You get about 2″ of movement, but patience prevails.

The brass thing is the fuel jet. The two prongs above are the igniter, when you are breaking the fuel jet loose don’t hit them or you will need to realign them. In the back is the burn chamber. As you can see it is very clean, no soot buildup.

The bottom one is the new one the middle is the old. I purchased mine at RV Hydronic Heater Parts

Now the heater fires up quicker and with less smoke than when I first bought the bus.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #819
Bus Nut

Hey Nat,

It is good to be back and working on the bus. Even better to be living in it too.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #820
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
Thanks for the info on the Webasto, Something to add to the to do list.
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote