Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The Journey Visvi 1999 Thomas MVP ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
If you keep track of inside, and outside temp, how many times and for how long the heater cycles, I can calculate how many BTU per hour your bus is using to stay at set temp.

Nat
Once I get it setup on a thermostat, I will do that. The problem is, it is quite and hard to hear if it is on.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #582
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Quote:
If you keep track of inside, and outside temp, how many times and for how long the heater cycles, I can calculate how many BTU per hour your bus is using to stay at set temp.

Nat
Once I get it setup on a thermostat, I will do that. The problem is, it is quite and hard to hear if it is on.
That's a good thing. Heating is not always that silent.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #583
Bus Nut

Quote:
That's a good thing. Heating is not always that silent.

Nat
The heating is quite, but the bus fans are noisy. They run about two minutes before the heater kicks on to re-heat the water. I will have to time the cycle.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 12-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #584
Bus Nut

Got most of my electrical ran today. The frustrating part is this all temporary. This is to get me through my trip next week.

The battery bay is at the bottom of a closet, and this power distribution will be on the wall of that closet.

Before I hook up the batteries I need a ground terminal and 12 VDC terminal.

For the ground side I just welded 5/15 bolts to the support.

For the 12 VDC side I found this nice heavy duty Blue Sea Systems, Busbar, 6 x 5/16, 18 Stud Terminal with cover
http://www.go2marine.com/product/247...-terminal.html
http://www.go2marine.com/product/247...2105-2126.html

I have my six batteries wired up as two sets of three. The exact same size and gauge wire to the ground side and shut off switch. Then a wire from shut off switch to the bus bar.

I also had to mount the shunt for the battery monitor. It uses this to measure the current draw the bus uses,

This shows the thermostat, Xantrex LinkPro battery monitor, power distrubution box and the switch I use to turn on the Wabasto. The LED on the switch glows blue when it's on.

Here is a larger photo showing the charge wizard that runs my battery charger and the shut off switch. Behind the board are the relays that the thermostat turn on to run the fans. The bus fans are loud, but all three only draw 16.6 amps when running. That is about 200W. I still have to move the Wabasto power to the house batteries, just can't find it in the wire mess.

I have a 1000W Xantrex True Sinewave inverter hooked up, the only thing left is the Sure Power 1314 Battery Separator and the cable to the bus battery so I can charge the house battery while driving.

It was nice to have the heat running on a thermostat. It kept it quit comfortable in the bus. Tomorrow I take a break and try to finish insulating. I have so many things I want to get done but only five days before I leave.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 12-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #585
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #586
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360

Looks nice for being temporary.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #587
Bus Nut

Time is running out, I have only three evenings left. I want to take Thursday night off, just to pack for the trip.

While I was waiting for Home Depot to open, decided to use my time and run the cables from the battery separator.

Then crawled in the snow and slush under the bus to figure out where to drill the hole through the floor to tie it into the bus batteries. I drilled a ¾” hole and I have a rubber grommet for the hole to protect the cable.

Sorry for the bad focus

Now back to insulation. This is slow work and I’m starting to get burnt out. I was working on covering the back engine cover and end cap when I discovered I forgot to cover part of the engine cover.

I measured and it is 18" high. I started to look around for a piece and found a spare left over from the sheet I just cut and guess what.

It is 18". Nice to see something work out for me.

I was having a hard time figuring out how to insulate that sharp curve in the roof. I finally decide to keep it simple.

I cut two 7” pieces and the middle is around 3”. Each section is a little different, some 3 ¼” some 3 ½”. I got half way to the front. Not sure if I will get it all finished before I leave. Today I need to finish the electrical.

1) Move the Wabasto to the house battery
2) Run a wire from the ignition to the battery separator.
3) I really need to re-hook up my heated mirrors.

For the Wabasto I decided since I can’t follow the wire harness to the wire distribution panel. Since I can’t figure out which 30 amp circuit runs the heater. I do have the drawing for the Wabasto, so I will cut the power there and hook it up at the wabasto.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #588
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060

You are going to have the best bus of skoolie history. It's looking great. Also I need more detail on bypassing the engine for the webasto. That is genius. As long as it works out in the long run of course. Pure genius.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #589
Bus Nut

Hey ThePimentals, Let me know what other info you need.

So far it working well, I'm running all day to check for any issues and it is working like a champ. I set it for 50 during the day while I'm at work and the thermostat is set to bump the temp to 63 at 4:00. That way it will be warm when I get home from work. When I drive it I go back to the valve and turn it back on. That way the engine now heats the water to keep the bus warm. It took a while for me to get use to the fans starting on their own.

The only issue I see is when it is warm out the Wabasto cycles on more than the fans to keep the water at 170. It is only on for about two minutes. It would be helpful to have a buffer tank to prevent this short cycling.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 12-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #590
Bus Nut

I got the electrical finished last night. For the Wabasto I found the three red wires that go from the outside connector to the fuse holder. Cut them and wires the Wabasto side up to my distribution panel. Now the whole system runs off the house batteries.

I installed three of the SuperBrightLED “5.5 Watt Round Dome Light LED Fixture with 3 Position Switch”. I like these, you daisy change power to them and can turn them on with the switch at the light. There is a third wire you can run to a switch and use ground to turn on the light. There is a three position switch on the light, Door, Off and On. I can turn them all on with the door switch or one at a time as I need them, also if the door switch is on, I can turn any off. Nice to have flexibility.

My Conversion Thread: