Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The Journey Visvi 1999 Thomas MVP ER

Here is what I plan to do once it is painted and inspected.

Total gut, I plan to remove all interior sheet metal and insulation. I want to use the spray foam to insulate the roof and walls. I will put down 1" foam boards in the floor and spray foam around to seal.

Before I insulate I want to raise the roof, but it is a Thomas. Unlike a BlueBird the walls are curved. Les Lampman was going to raise his roof and I see that he talked to Elliot Naess about how to handle this issue. It looks like he decided not to raise his roof. I will take what they talked about and see if it will work.

I also plan to use dual pane RV windows. That means all the school bus windows have to go.

This will be a propane free bus. I will use diesel for heat, hot water and my generator. I already have two portable induction cook tops that I love, I use them in my appartment. I will be able to cook inside as well as outside, as in portable cooktops.

I'm using a composting toilet, so no Black holding tank. Just fresh water and grey water. Fresh water will be inside under my bed, no worry about feezing unless I run out of heat.

I want to be able to live off the grid Mon - Fri and then pull in on weekends to dump grey tank, fill fresh water tank and plugin to fully recharge. Between solar and the generator, with enough batteries, I hope that will work. It would be nice if I could stretch it out to two weeks.

The only thing I have not worked out is AC in the summertime for Durango, my boarder collie. There may be other things I have not thought of yet too.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
Site Team

If you want to raise the roof just do it, a curved wall think of it like this

1)if you cut all the window "joists" ( I would alternate at 1/3 and 2/3 lengths )
2)you now cut back and front
3)you have two pcs a top and bottom
4)it wouldn't take much to tweak the window posts top and bottom so you have an easy angle between top and bottom

No curves were harmed in this post
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #63
Bus Nut

That is basically what Elliot told Les, Just more work to do before you weld in new post. I plan to use square tubing slid into the exsisting post like Elliot did.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #64
Site Team

don't be afraid to use round either if it fits
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #65
Bus Nut

It was a long and hot weekend. Temp 90 - 95 and heat index 100 - 105. I spent is all working on the bus with no shade. It was suppose to be nice Friday and Saturday, but it decided to rain. That left me only Sunday to try and prep and paint. I ended up taking Monday off to finish. I'm glad it is done.

I went out Saturday even though it was raining off and on to do something with my time. Looking at the interior I see that everything is held together with screws.

So I thought I would get ahead start and remove some of the screws holding the inner roof up.

There are 61 screws per ridge and 14 ridges. That works out to 854 screws. I got all except about 80 out. I could hardly hold my hands up. The screw driver got very heavy. I hope my air chisel can remove the screws I could not break loose. I put back five in each ridge to hold until I'm ready to remove them all.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Sunday, high 90, heat index 100. I spent the morning getting the roof painted. I had to brush around the emergency exits and the ridge thingy that runs down the sides.

Then I used a roller and an extension handle and started painting. It took two coats and about 1,5 hrs to do.

I'm glad I got this done early before the heat set in. I spent the next two hours removing all the windows. I read one someones post that this was easier than masking all of them. I need to remove them when I raise the roof, so it was worth the effort. I had about twenty screws that would not break loose. I started to drill them out, but that took forever. Then I got the idea to use my vise grips. That made short work of the last few.

I spent the rest of the day masking everything I didn't want painted. By 6:00 PM I was dead. That was when I decided to take Monday off to finish.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Monday, high 95, heat index 105. It was hard to head back out into the heat to work on the bus again. I got out at 7:00 AM to beat the heat and plan to stop at 1:00 PM and relax inside until 6:00 PM after it started to cool down. That help a great deal. I was re-energized at 6:00 to finish up.

About 11:00 I started to get a second wind because I only had the door to mask and could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Around noon I finished adn took a short break before painting. What a relief.

Masking done, ready to paint. It took the same time it took to do the roof. 1.5 hrs later and the bus was painted. By now it was almost 2:30 so I headed home to get out of the heat. I saw at 5:00 it was already down to 90, and I felt refreshed, so I headed back out to remove all the masking. Boy it looks nice.

Don't look to close or you will see that I forgot to mask the marker lights above my windshield. I think I will just buy the replacement lenses, instead of trying to remove the paint.

This is just to get it through inspection. When the roof raise is done and the RV windows in and it cools down a bit. I will Bus-Kote the roof and add Green to the color scheme.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #68
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

I am impressed! I can't wait to get mine painted.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #69
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Great job! That was a lot of work.

On your interior screws, get a DeWalt 20v impact driver. The best tool I ever bought. It'll take all those interior ceiling screws out the easy way. I've found that it will remove screws that I otherwise would have to drill out. Absolutely amazing.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #70
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Looks great!!! Thank you for your detailed documentation, it is greatly appreciated!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote