Old 11-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #831
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD Inline 6-71 MidShip
Rated Cap: 79
Durango looks like he is enjoying all your hard work!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #832
Bus Nut

I want to give wmkbailey a shout-out and a Thanks! He invited me up to "help" him install some cabinetry. I spent the day walking all over his project and asking dumb newbie questions and learning a whole lot. And, I gave him 10 or 15 minutes of help wrangling cabinets and a countertop in. I'll let him put up the pics. A really fun day for me.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #833
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Yes Durango is enjoying the Bus Life.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #834
Bus Nut

Update to Power Panel & Installing Kitchen Cabinets

My power panel is, or was a rats nest.

When I got my bus back in July of 2013, I knew I wanted to take it to Indiana for Christmas. I needed to get it insulated, batteries mounted and the electrical hooked up in under five months. I remember I finished the day before I left. That was cutting it close, so to save time I didnít try to make it look pretty.

Since I have both sides walled in with the closet and dresser, I figured it was time to do something about it.

It is still not as clean as it could be, but I need to reroute my 12 DC side anyway and then I will be able to clean it up as I redo it.

On Saturday A fellow skoolie Dan Fox ask to come by and check out my bus and offered to help while he was there. It was nice to have an extra set of hands. So I put him to work helping me install my kitchen cabinets.

I had a 6′ table strapped to the floor with storage container so I could use the area as a kitchen. I knew I would put in 6′ of cabinetry. I bough one 36″ base cabinet for the sink and two 18″ cabinets to make up the 6′ area. I bought the cheapest non-finished cabinets Home Depot had. I plan to paint them not stain them.

They could not have gone in any easier. All I needed to do was cut a 1 3/4″ x 3″ notch for the hydronic water hoses.

I know Iím installing them right on top of the carpet. I did things backwards to get the bus usable faster. I have not put in my flooring yet. Most of this will get redone when I get around to that.

If any of you remember I ran 1″ x 2″ bolted to the steel supports that run every 22″ in the bus. There is one that runs just a little under 3′ to line up with the solid piece on the back of the cabinet. With the cabinets screwed to that, they are very secure.

As you can see I also did the cutout in the computer desk. This arrangement works much better. Soon I will start putting in running water and at that time I will mount the sink. For now the drawers are secured with the child proof magnetic locks. There will be a post on the actual locks I plan to use, when I figure out how to mount them

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #835
Bus Nut

Wicked ride

What a wicked ride this morning. I got up to drive two hours before I had to login for work. I took 219 south to pick up US 50. Then I came to this 9 degree down hill, max speed 30 mph with 25 - 15 mph curves.

All I can say is I'm glad I have a Allison MD 3060 push button transmission with a lockup clutch. I know that in 3rd the max I can go is 35. I selected 3rd and let the bus do most of the work, just a little breaking for the 25 - 15 mph curves

The only issue I had was my refrigerator kept coming open. I had to make an emergency stop here to get everything back in.

Not a bad place to take a break. Where I'm stopping for the day is at a Home Depot, sure I can figure something out to keep that door shut.

The uphill side of the valley was just as bad.

The bus is geared perfect for the climb. It had no problem getting back up to 35 after the 25 - 15 mph curves.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #836
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD Inline 6-71 MidShip
Rated Cap: 79
Really nice computer table! For my refrig, I bought some one inch wide heavy duty velcro strips and the work great at keeping it closed and easy to open when you need to
Old 11-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #837

Hi William,

Have just read your thread from front to back. Amazing work you are doing.

I figured I would use my first post to suggest something like this for your fridge opener problem: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safety-Fridg...cks+for+fridge Cheap and cheerful.

Keep up the fantastic work.
Auwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #838
Bus Nut

Thanks Auwyn,

I found something very similar at Walmart. I put one on the frig and one on the microwave. I use the microwave to store all the stuff I usualy have sitting on the counter when I'm traveling.

Safety 1st Multi-Purpose Appliance Locks, 2 count - Walmart.com

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #839
Bus Nut

Re-doing the Bedroom

The first bed platform was just temporary. It was put in so I could start using the bus. I always planned to re-do it. For one thing it is difficult to get things in and out from underneath it. The platform will be hinged so that you can raised the bed and get to stuff below easier.

But first I need to finish insulating and covering the back before I can start building in the new platform. I guess for the next few days I will see how comfortable the sofa is.

There is 2″ of insulation and I need to cover areas that the insulation has come down. Iím using the 1 1/4 that I built the walls, screwed to the steel engine ledge to give me places to screw the 1/4 plywood I will use to cover it.

Donít worry I did not forget to insulate that 8″ section at the bottom. Now all that is left is to measure and cut the plywood.

I will do the ceiling later, this is all I need done to build the bed platform. My dad and I are working together on this. We will spend tomorrow figuring it all out. Everything in the bus has to be cut to fit, so it takes a little planning.

The last two day have been cold. we reached a low of 10 on the 21st. yesterday was not much warmer. We even got three inches of snow.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #840
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Excellent update, and again I LOVE that roofline.
Check your PM's...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote