Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42
Re: The Land Barge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

I just stumbled in here.... Very nice paint job! May I suggest painting the top of the cowl brown also, to eliminate that little hickup in the lines. In other words, make the hood look as long as possible.
Ooh ... Good point ... When spring comes back around and I have time and weather on my side, That change would make sense - and be easy enough to do ... And, in case you were wondering, I'll be getting a couple of leather straps to run over the hood too, just for appearance sake.

Quote:
I cannot see it well enough, but the destination sign window may be secured with a rubber molding that has a removable center strip. You would pull the center "rope" out, and then the rest of the molding would bend enough to get the glass out. However, after 13 years, the rubber may be too stiff to work with. I expect the glass shop would have a mile or two of it. Wear goggles when working with glass.
Yep, I think you're right. In looking at the paint, after the fact, I can see the indentation of the inner strip. That should be a fun adventure to get out, but we definately want the extra light from those windows ... And, we've got three different auto glass places that I know of in about a 5 mile radius ... And I've just been looking for an excuse to drive her now that I've got the tags and all ...

Quote:
And congrats on finding a stick shift!
Thanks! I've hated every automatic I've ever driven. I guess I'm a control-freak ... And I like to get every ounce of power I can out of my engines ...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

Very nice paint, your hard work and effort show through
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
Hex
Skoolie

So ... I'm not dead.

And I've finally got to do a bit more work on the bus after about a year and a half of sitting on it while we move ourselves to a new house, my in-laws to a new house (that needed some serious renovation that I had to do), and all the life stuff and financial stuff that goes along with it ...

Anyhow, I finally got all the rubber and wood floor up (except for the driver's chair area - I'm saving that until I'm ready to do the whole floor), got the rear heater out and replumbed to keep the front heaters working and patched a few holes (the only rust ones were just behind the rear wheels, but the heater lines going under the side emergency door left a couple big ones) and got the metal wire-wheeled and painted. Whew!

(And yes, Smitty, I'll be putting up pics as soon as I can. :P)

But I had a little adventure on Saturday:

Last Saturday, I re-installed two seats to take my wife, our boy and my MIL for a short ride to 'exercise' the bus (ie. get the engine/exhaust system up to temperature, and keep the air brakes from locking). Everyone got on, including the dogs, and I stopped at the end of the driveway to get the carseat for the boy.

Upon releasing the parking brake and pulling out onto the street, there's this hissing from the area of the rear axle and we're losing air pressure. I pull over and put on the parking brake, and the pressure builds again. Wondering if it's just somethings stuck (given that I moved it to the end of the driveway fine), I let off the parking brake again, and the hissing and pressure loss is back.

Rather than back up along the block to get to our house, we go around the block and I back up into the driveway (badly) because the wig-wag drops and does it's job (at about 80 lbs pressure, BTW) and the brakes are starting to engage (by about 60 lbs). I pop the parking brake back on, get pressure up, and straighten up to back down the driveway. We close the gate and let the boy and the dogs off, and chock the wheels.

After being sure that the chock is holding without the parking brake on, I crawl under the bus to the rear axle and my wife disengages, then re-engages the parking brake several times so I can find the hissing.

Turns out the plastic of the port pressure release valve cracked and was letting the air escape.

After confirming this, I started to remove it to see if it was just a gasket, but it was a real missing bit of plastic, and of course, by then it's about 19:00 and the parts place closed at 16:30.

So after a day of trying to find out on the web what the part was called and how much I could expect to pay for a new one (which of course I couldn't, because it's a 15-yr old part), I stopped in today and found out they cost about $22, so I got two. I'd hate to have a cascade effect and blow out the starboard rear right after I replace the port one.

So, now we'll get to see how my foray into air brakes works out. Thing that I'm really looking forward to is the fact that I won't have to bleed them like hydraulic brakes.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
Hex
Skoolie

Oh ... Another thing ...

I found a gem while taking apart the flooring and console bits - the actual International/Navistar assembly bill.

A great thing, 'cause I now know that my rear gear ratio is a 4.78.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Looking sweet!! Can't wait to see the inside, so get cracking
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

I love the paint job - you really nailed it - in a stapely sort of way.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #27
Hex
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
Looking sweet!! Can't wait to see the inside, so get cracking
Well, to quote Alexia Sayle from The Young Ones, one could say of the inside, "This is really funky, it's kinda like one big empty room, yeah!"

But I'm getting the floor plan finalized and getting ready to build some walls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeflyer
I love the paint job - you really nailed it - in a stapely sort of way.
I'll still take it as a compliment?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Well ya you should take it as a compiment - it was ment that way - but what the hell that was just the paint job - what you gona do when the saws and other sharp tools come out do you want to borrow my helment ?
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #29

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 454
Rated Cap: 65

Love your paint job, what kind of paint did you use? Congrats on your bus.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
Hex
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeflyer
Well ya you should take it as a compiment - it was ment that way - but what the hell that was just the paint job - what you gona do when the saws and other sharp tools come out do you want to borrow my helment ?

Well, I know how people here feel about 'sticks & staples' so I wanted to be sure ...

And I'm ready for the cutting. And if need be, I have a couple of hard-hats. I really can't wait to get to structuring the interior ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
Love your paint job, what kind of paint did you use? Congrats on your bus.
Thanks!

I used Rustoleum for the coat. The brass is by spray-bomb, and after two years of weathering, I need to touch it up. The other colors were from the 'Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Protective Enamel' series. The green is their 'forest green', the cream is the 'Almond', and the brown is their 'Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Hammered' 'brown'.

Other than the spray, all of the rest was applied with 3/8" nap roller.

Other than a couple of places where I obviously didn't prep well enough, or where I left the painter's tape on too long (or both?) the paint has adhered well and held up to the elements. And I really like the texture of the hammered brown.