Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: The Living Bus Project

This is what bugs me.... It's okay to "brew/distill" bio-fuel but you can't distill a "bio-fuel" from corn squeezin's.

"But Mr. Revenuer, I'm just makin' bio-fuel to run my truck, not 'shine to drink!" Yep, now there's an argument that will fly... all the way to the federal pen.

BTW, you do realize that you have to pay state & federal road tax on the fuel you make.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #12

Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: 6.9L

I will first address the issue with our non-profit (501c3) start-up costs. We are NOT asking for money for the build out as the vast majority of components are already purchased and the heavy lifting is already complete. We are simply attempting to surround ourselves with like-minded people for this project and welcome ALL to become a part of it. We are asking for community support to establish the non-profit in and of itself - nothing more. Yes, we could easily pay for the $750 to file our paperwork... but, this is not how we believe a non-profit should work. Non-profits should be created for a cause "by the people" and "for the people". By no means should they be created for self-interested individuals (as unfortunately so many are). If you knew our family on a personal level, you would certainly understand this (and us) much better. You would also realize that we are NOT some "fly-by-night" scheme attempting to take advantage of others. That is simply not who we are.

We have established a well-educated, diverse and independent board of directors to handle all financial and decision-making aspects of this project when the non-profit is established. The vehicle (and everything we have contributed towards it) will be gifted to the 501c3 and will remove all sense of ownership we currently have. This may be hard for some to understand - but, again if you knew us on a personal level then it wouldn't be very difficult to comprehend.

We have also established relationships within the business community to promote the many environmental aspects of our projects. This includes HEMP which is currently cost-prohibitive despite the advantages it has above other products. Yes, HEMP oil is currently expensive - we know. We have already done the cost-analysis and reached an agreement with a manufacturer if a 501c3 can be established. I would also like to state that this project encompasses so much more than just the source of its fuel. We do not wish to limit ourselves (or this discussion) to a single topic - especially one as sensitive as HEMP. The primary goal of this project is to raise awareness and demonstrate sustainable solutions in a viable manner.
TheLivingBusProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #13

The water system starting to take shape.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Site Team

radiant floor heat? and the walls ,ceiling also?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
radiant floor heat? and the walls ,ceiling also?
PEX is being used for all of the plumbing (hot/cold/grey/aux/radiant) systems. It runs down both interior walls and crosses (in part) through the sub-floor above the rear axle into the hot water closet (on the right). I believe this is what you are referring to? There is a radiant heat system tied to a Jotul 404 stove as well as the solar hot water system. I am working on a schematic for the entire system which should give a better idea. It is a little complicated - but, essentially provides us with the ability to treat/store/tranfer up to 75gal of purified drinking water (from any source - including greywater) on a daily basis. Our storage capacity is 200 gal. With our limited consumption, this allows us to divert excess water to an outside source and provides a basic infrastructure to be shared with others when & where needed.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Iffin you don't want to use hemp oil, hash oil is an alternative.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I can promise you that Bansil isn't under any illusion that a skoolie will do 75+mph on any freeway... unless it's freewheeling down the steep side on Monteagle Mountain on I24.
I can easily do 75+...on a flat. Matter of fact I tried it just once. Got to 75 and had quite a bit left but had no need to top it out. Too fast for a skoolie.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
...Too fast for a skoolie....
My point... Anyone who does 75+ mph in a vehicle that weighs what a converted skoolie does is asking for trouble. More to the point, I'm willing to bet that MOST fully converted skoolies (not the futon with a bucket type conversion) can't do those speeds or do them for long.... deliberately.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I can promise you that Bansil isn't under any illusion that a skoolie will do 75+mph on any freeway... unless it's freewheeling down the steep side on Monteagle Mountain on I24.
I can easily do 75+...on a flat. Matter of fact I tried it just once. Got to 75 and had quite a bit left but had no need to top it out. Too fast for a skoolie.
Braggart! Just cause you have an eight three, there is no need to rub it in.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

If you got it...flaunt it.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote