Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: The Living Bus Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
radiant floor heat? and the walls ,ceiling also?
You sure get distracted easily. Keep your eye on the ball.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #22

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
This is what bugs me.... It's okay to "brew/distill" bio-fuel but you can't distill a "bio-fuel" from corn squeezin's.

"But Mr. Revenuer, I'm just makin' bio-fuel to run my truck, not 'shine to drink!" Yep, now there's an argument that will fly... all the way to the federal pen.

BTW, you do realize that you have to pay state & federal road tax on the fuel you make.
I always knew you were a moonshiner at heart.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20

Bill, this looks like a great project, I admire the quality of your craftsmanship. It takes some courage to dive in and commit yourself and your family to promoting such important ideas, but also your willingness to pursue your ideals and dreams is a great example to others. So don't let all the negative ninny's get you down, lol, if we all listened to their "common wisdom" we'd never discover what's truly possible.

I'm also a big fan of hemp and the incredible potential that's just waiting for us, that is as soon as our silly government stops conflating hemp with marijuana and stops being so fearful of the imaginary dangers that a hemp industry might pose. Hemp oil could produce far more bio-fuel per acre than corn (not to mention all the other products like hemp-fiber, hemp protein, etc), but the corporate agro-biz giants with all their $$$ and influence don't want any competition, yet now that we are beginning to see the end of the insane war on marijuana, I believe that a burgeoning hemp industry is just around the corner. But it needs all the advocates it can get so keep pushing and keep up the good work!

Hemp facts
• Hemp does not require herbicides or pesticides.
• Hemp can be grown in a wide range of latitudes and altitudes.
• Hemp replenishes soil with nutrients and nitrogen, making it an excellent rotational crop.
• Hemp controls erosion of the topsoil.
• Hemp converts CO2 to oxygen better than trees.
• Hemp production on one acre creates as much cellulose fiber pulp as 4.1 acres of trees.
• Hemp production can utilize land that is otherwise unsuitable for other types of agriculture.
• Hemp produces more oil than any other crop, which can be used for food, fuel, lubricants, soaps, etc.
• Hemp nut is a very healthy food, containing the highest assimilable protein.
• Hemp can be used for making plastics, including car parts (made from the high cellulose content).
• Hemp makes paper more efficiently and ecologically than wood, requiring no chemical glues.
• Hemp can be used to make fiberboard.
• Hemp can be used to make paint.
• Hemp can produce bio-fuel and ethanol (better than corn).
• Hemp can be grown more than once per year.
• Hemp fibers can make very strong rope and textiles.
• Hemp contains little to no THC, so is not suitable for drug use in any way.
• Hemp seed oil is delicious - mixed with minced garlic and balsamic vinegar, it makes a delicious and healthy dressing. Hemp seed oil can help reduce cholesterol because it has a near perfect balance polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids (1:3 ratio so that's healthy too).

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
...I always knew you were a moonshiner at heart.
Actually, my grand father on my Dad's side was the moonshiner. My Dad just transported it, it's how he got into racing cars. My grandfather on my Mom's side was a rumrunner during Prohibition (his brother was a cop).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

If you are looking into a 501c3 which is a charity created by the IRS you will find it requires quite a large amount of paper work.
Your best route to take is a Corporation Sole which has a Presiding Elder, an Overseer or a Bishop as the owner or manage of the
Corporation Sole. All Catholic Arch Dioces are owned by a Corp. Sole. It has a history that precedes this country so it is not a
creation of the Government or the IRS. Unfortunately Washington State stopped allowing new ones to be created in 2009 but I
think other states allow them or you could find some one that has one as a shelf Corporation (been sitting on a shelf and not
being used to date). Good Luck
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #26
Almost There

Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Your idea and overall plan has a lot of merit, but just wondering why you don't fuel it with filtered waste cooking oil, or a combo of the filtered waste cooking oil and used filtered motor oil? I'm sure you have thought of that already, but it seems a win/win for the user of the bus (cheap, easy to get basic fuel) and the environment by recycling waste products into useful energy. Plus it is easy to get both types of waste oil in most parts of the country, and does not take a lot of science or land to grow your fuel on. And the diesel engines available for the most part require very little modification to burn the waste oils.
Still- regardless of all the naysayers, I am looking forward to seeing if your project works, and how well it works.
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20

Dburt,
From what I gathered from a brief perusal of their sites, I believe that one of their aims is to promote renewable biofuels, and the greener the better. So one reason to avoid the waste products you mentioned is that they don't really fall into that category. And since corn ethanol is not only not that green, it's one of the worst ways to manufacture biofuel especially when you add in the impact on the price of corn (as a foodstuff) worldwide - projected into the future, if corn ethanol were to ever reach levels high enough to make a serious impact on fossil fuels, the global impact would also be enormous, prices would rise dramatically and cause increased famine and suffering. So with that factored in, it is NOT the wave of the future of biofuels.

Hemp has far more potential, is greener in many ways, and produces so many more usable bi-products, so like a lot of other people and organizations, these folks are trying to demonstrate it's many uses and in doing so, promote a push towards creating a viable hemp industry in this country. But as he also mentioned, he doesn't want to JUST promote hemp for fear people with preconceived notions will simply write him/them off as a bunch of flaky hippies, lol. IMO he's on the right track and I hope he is successful. ;?D

P.S. Dburt, are you by chance anywhere near Emmett? I moved about 8 yrs ago bu my Mom is still there, and I try to get out to visit once or twice a year ;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Engine: DT408

Quote:
It's okay to "brew/distill" bio-fuel but you can't distill a "bio-fuel" from corn squeezin's.
Actually, it's my understanding that you can get a free permit to produce up to 10,000 "proof gallons" for ethanol (must be denatured (add some gasoline to make it undrinkable). Methanol (wood alcohol, DO NOT DRINK) doesn't even require a permit.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #29
Almost There

Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Lightfoot- not to far from Emmett, part of the year we are near Parma- small world!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner
Quote:
It's okay to "brew/distill" bio-fuel but you can't distill a "bio-fuel" from corn squeezin's.
Actually, it's my understanding that you can get a free permit to produce up to 10,000 "proof gallons" for ethanol (must be denatured (add some gasoline to make it undrinkable). Methanol (wood alcohol, DO NOT DRINK) doesn't even require a permit.
Not everyone get's those especially in the Southern Appalachians. Don't know why not.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
;?D
*SQUINTS*

...is that Ziggy with a D next to him?

;?

;?,
Look, he's putting up a fight! Come get some, Fake Ziggy! t('.'t)

...yeah, no, going back to bed. I've just gotten Interweb-weird. Need to visit the outweb. I had a book. Where's my book?

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote