Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 72
The Lunker (or LunkBus) : a 1991 Thomas Conversion

Hello, all! I have to say that I'm so happy to be joining this great community! Glad to not have to be re-inventing the wheel in the upcoming conversion of our 1991 Thomas school bus.
A little about me: I've been slowly moving towards a more sustainable lifestyle for the last seven years or so. I was vegan for a while (almost six years), started supporting local farmers, preserving food, growing food, and teaching people how to do pretty much everything that I learn along the way. Last year, my boyfriend and I spent a year living on a small organic farm, and we lived on an older converted school bus, for the most part. We had a larger shared kitchen space, and so didn't use the little (impractical) kitchen on the bus. We liked the idea of living in a bus quite a bit, and started building our dreams for that around last August. We figured that if we converted a bus, we could then find a piece of land to park on, and farm on--without having to wait to build a house. And besides, land is much cheaper without any structures on it.

We bought the LunkBus on December 23rd last year, and have been in the process of figuring out the logistics of it all, while also moving from the farm in East Tennessee to Nashville.

So now, we have it--our (more or less) blank slate. It had some fuel pressure issues this winter, but with the replacement of a fuel filter and an o-ring at the bottom of the fuel separator, it runs beautifully. Did I mention that the 1991 Thomas only has about 77,000 miles on it?! Yes, yes it does!

We started ripping the seats out yesterday. It will be slow progress, as we have a limited budget, but we hope to have it completed in a year or year and a half. Wish us luck and warmer weather!

lunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The Lunker (or LunkBus) : a 1991 Thomas Conversion

Figuring out how to add pictures. Be patient with me! I lived in the middle of nowhere all last year, and forgot how to use most technologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Lunk1.jpg   Lunk2.jpg   Removing seats.jpg  
lunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Skoolie

Re: The Lunker (or LunkBus) : a 1991 Thomas Conversion

Awesome. You've got the picture posting mastered, so now you'll have no excuses to not do frequent follow ups. Looking forward to your next progress report.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote