Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Re: The Man-Venture

Finally had time to work on the bus. I bought a couch, some flooring, and a corner cabinet. I like going to the re-use store, there stuff there is so cheep. THat cabinet only cost me $5. I started to frame the new back wall to the porch. I hope to sheet it over soon. I also built a knee wall near the stairs where that corner cabinet will go. I also started to taking off the rest of the rear of the bus. It will be a job when I try to redo the tail lights, hopefully it will not be that bad. I hope to get everything I need into the bus so that I can start bolting stuff down. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Gearhead94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead94
Does anybody know if you are allowed to put a normal couch in a bus, or do you need a special one? I was planning to bolt it down and put seat belts in it, just to make the officials happy. Do I even need seat belts in a bus?
Not a bus, It's a motor-home now.... remember..
Bolting the sofa down is a good idea....... Necessary if you plan on people riding there during movement.....
Seat belts required for any seat in which passengers will ride during movement....

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

I have gotten a lot of work done over my winter break. I got another couch to put in, and a kitchen counter. I also started to put up the back wall sheeting. I used cardboard as a template to transfer over to the fiberglass composite sheeting I got from home depot. I hope to get the other side of the wall in this week.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

I was able to get away from school for a little bit this weekend. My brother and I installed all of the flooring. It was really easy, it just interlocked, and it looks really good as well. We also finished the interior side of the wall separating the living portion from the porch. The bunk beds are are next on the list. I wanted to try and get the bus running again this weekend, but I ran out of time.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: DT466E

Looking Good!!!!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO!!!
https://www.facebook.com/NilesSkoolie
NilesSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Interesting work! I can't wait to see this finished. I also like the flooring. Whats the name/manufactuer of this particular product. I'd like to take a look at it myself.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyChow
Interesting work! I can't wait to see this finished. I also like the flooring. Whats the name/manufactuer of this particular product. I'd like to take a look at it myself.
The flooring I got was from Home Depot. The name of the company is Traffic Master. It only cost me $0.69 per square foot, and it goes to gather really nice, and easy.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Have you guys ever been given a hard time with the DOT cops??
Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Have you guys ever been given a hard time with the DOT cops??
In the work truck once, why? what happened?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Im just wondering if the DOT cops will try to give me a hard time while crossing the country. Im changing the title to a motorhome. But I'm just curious if anyone has been given a hard time by them while driving their buses.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #51
Bus Geek

You shouldn't have any issues at all,they would have noreason to pull you over....a "private coach" sticker on the back wouldn't hurt....but they would have to be a true idiot to look at your skoolie and say "oohooooh dot violation"
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Over spring break I was able to get some work done on the bus. I was able to build the bunk beds, I am really mad that they are not perfect, but what can you do. I had to shorten the hose on the rear heater since I added the wall on the rear. I had gotten it all cut and put back together without having too much radiator fluid miss the bucket, but as I was moving the heat back in place behind the wheel well, I knocked the bucket over with the radiator fluid in it. It all went under my flooring and under the plastic under the floor as well. So I had to rip up the flooring, and dry all of the fluid up. That was a miserable set back. I wish I had done shortened it before I put the flooring down. I was then able to build the forward facing front bench. I think it came out really well so far, I just have to cover it with plywood, and create a cushion for it. I am going to leave the end open so my dog, who is coming with us for our cross-coutry adventure, can have a dog house to sleep in. Next I have to create the enclosure for the bathroom. Does anybody have any tips for cutting the plywood the fit the curvature of the roof? I have been using cardboard, but I get it perfect and when I transfer it to the plywood, it never comes out right. There are always a large gap somewhere.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Looking good man!!!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I used cardboard templates to cut my wall panels and had the same gap problem you did. I fixed the gaps by cutting the panels just slightly taller than they needed to be (about 3/8") then holding them up against the ceiling and marking the ceiling curvature by holding a pencil flat against the roof and sliding it along the roof while marking the panel face. Then I used a belt sander to remove the extra down to the line. Sometimes I'd have to mark it twice to get it good and snug but gave me a nice fit. I used the sander instead of a sabre saw because try as I might I couldn't get an accurate cut with the sabre saw.

Another trick is to carpet your ceiling. The carpet will give a bit and hide minor gaps. The carpeting absorbs a lot of noise too and probably insulates a little.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Im just wondering if the DOT cops will try to give me a hard time while crossing the country. Im changing the title to a motorhome. But I'm just curious if anyone has been given a hard time by them while driving their buses.
Driving from Mexico to MN, I got pulled over once in South Dakota. Simply because it was still yellow. I explained it was going to be getting painted and he waved goodbye. No problems.

Edit: Oh wow...just read your set back. That is brutal. I feel your pain, man.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote