When I made the doorway for the tailgate, I built it “in mid air”. That is, I just
barely attached it to the bus, concentrating on making it fit the tailgate. I even
moved it a couple of times by cutting the tack welds and "leaning on it" a bit.
Everything fits now, so it is time to attach the doorway properly to the bus. For
this I picked up a bunch of steel plate remnants of 6" x 24". I don’t have a number
on the thickness, but they are thick enough that I don’t burn thru them so easily.
And they are stiff and strong without triangulation.
I’m welding these into place so that they bridge the gap between the doorway
and existing structures.
And also between the doorway and the new corners.
Oh yes, the new corners. I’m still working on that, but you may be able to see the
new 1” square tubing that the skin will be attached to.
In this photo, you see one of those steel plates on the floor in the foreground. I
just clamp them into place and weld. Any excess that gets in the way can be cut
off later. Here you also see that I have begun welding in the plate that fills the
wedge shaped gap that resulted when I beavertailed the floor. Yes, “beavertail”
can be a verb.
It’s not a triangular filler panel; it’s rectangular -- the rest is
underneath, where it will eat very little. We’re not building an airplane here. :P
This is the left side, head on. You can see that the doorway is built up from three
pieces of 1” tubing, and the opening is a couple inches narrower than where I cut
the body. I plan to put this gap to good use -- stay tuned to this station. On the
left, the new skin is just slightly curled towards its final position.
I know these photos are not very good, but here is the right side from a bit more
of an angle, and closer. You may be able to make out the new 1” square tube
corner framing here. Or not -- it's directly below the red marker light. I'll get better
Man, I’m sure looking forward to wrapping that skin around the corners so we
can see just how ugly that turns out!