Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #441
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: The Millicent Chronicles; two foot roof raise, big tailgate

At some point I decided moments before leaving on a trip that I wanted an awning of sorts. I took a pair of 8 ft 2x2's and beveled one end with my angle grinder (yes...my angle grinder). I then bored a half in hole in the top of each. When combined with a cheap blue poly tarp, some cheap clothesline rope, and 4 tent stakes it makes one of the most fantastic awnings I have ever seen. At C-Fest there was a hell of a storm. MANY commercial awnings became casualties. My $5 awning managed to only pull one stake...and it didn't make a difference in how well it held up. Sure, it doesn't look at professional, but it's effective and cheap.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #442
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Notice my mention above -- of planning a roof rack of some sort, fastened to extended window pillars? The primary use of this would be a fold-out / swing-out truss system to support a sturdy tarp.

At Burning Man last year, we used a 60 foot by 40 foot hay tarp ($305,-, plus freight if you don't live in hay country). We draped one end over Millicent and tied the other two corners to other vehicles. It did tear some in a storm, but only because we did not have it properly supported along the side.

That 60x40 tarp would be a perfect umbrella for Millicent if I can build a structure to support it -- ten feet overhang on all sides.

But yes... grain hauler and other commercial tarp systems would be something to look at also! Can you direct me to a web site of a manufacturer?

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #443
Bus Geek

Oh... I think I understand what you mean. You are talking about the poor fit of my windows, which caused me to switch to riveting windows directly to the skin -- the bathroom window I installed just a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking much further back. Well, then we are finally on the same page, and I sure appreciate your input on my thread. And you could not possibly knock my work anywhere as much as I knock it myself, even if you should intend to!

And yes, indeed, the whole point of this forum is to, as you say, provide useful information for each other, and I'm glad to be able to contribute my share.

To harp on the window pillars extensions and the new window fitment just a little bit more, I dare say that few of us amateur converters would be able to get perfect "professional grade" fitment in their first roof-raise-and-re-skin. I'm not saying none of us, but the majority of us should probably be prepared to put up with some imperfections. That's why I now suggest riveting any RV type windows directly to the skin, so they "float" in relation to the (presumably) not-entirely-straight wall structure.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #444
Bus Nut

website? tarp manufacturer? in your search for gainful employment look at tarps for flatbed trailers and find someone located near you that is willing to do custom work sailmakers,boat cover and upholstery shops, auto apholstery shops etc, prices will vary from rediculous to mvery reasonable depending on what you want.
my experience has been to make my own frame, buy the commercial tarp fabric at the truck tarp shop and have them heat weld it to a larger than necessary cut size and then work with the boat cover/upholstery shop to get a custom ragtop that fits like OJ's glove,I have to give credit to the 30+ years of experience that the canvas shop had.
my reference to grain hauler tarps was specifically how they fasten one side of the tarp to the trailer and then use a long handcrank to roll the tarp across the top of the trailer on a pipe from the ground and then tighten it up with rachet straps.
build your roofrack with a folding/swinging frame system frame system that you can deploy and then roll the custon tarp over it and fasten from the ground, with rachet straps to pull everything tight and square. i like to carry some dog augers to tie the ends down with when the wind kicks up.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #445
Bus Geek

Much good input!

Jimmy:
Yes, billboard vinyl is a common tarp material at Burning Man. I hear that each piece generally sells for something like $80,- in these parts, but obviously this will vary widely with demand. The "trick" is to get one with some kind of comical image on it -- something that can be left visible for amusement!

Paul:
You bet! I pulled flatbeds for a few years when I first started trucking back in the early 1980s, and there is a good truck tarp shop in Sacramento. Truck tarps are seriously Good Stuff -- heavy and bulky, but yeehah!-durable. There is also a commercial awning and tent shop in Sacramento. (The latter, by the way, sells good-sized remnants with edging and grommets already installed.) It was the idea of the crank-up-and-down equipment that grain haulers use that really caught my attention.
And then... now that I'm thinking about it.... Over the last ten years, I have sometimes pulled curtain-side trailers. (Love'em!) Those also have hardware that might come in handy. Of course, none of this commercial equipment is cheap, but useability and durability are impressive.
Now, where is my winch bar?....

Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #446
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2L GM
Rated Cap: 19

These guys have a nice rack upstairs as well:

http://www.bus12.com
Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #447
Bus Nut

forgot to mention that rental company's replace their tents at regular intervals, white wedding tents are available in good shape if someone sets it up under a walnut tree, interesting green stains from the walnut husks, a 1 or 2 year old tent, canvas only should be able to be bought cheap, get the measurements for the poles and make your own side posts from 2x3's and center poles from 4x4's bevel the top ends and slice the corners off of the 4x4s with a skillsaw, drill the ends with a long ships auger and hammer in a length of steel rod, then bind the top of the post with a hoseclamp or straping to prevent the pin from spliting the post.
the down side of a tent is driving and removing the stakes.- i use T fenceposts buy 6 or 7 footers and cut them in half, get the pretty yellow plastic insulator caps for the tops and make up or buy a fencepost removal jack.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #448
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Merbach
Chassis: IH
Engine: DT366
Rated Cap: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

Notice my mention above -- of planning a roof rack of some sort, fastened to extended window pillars? The primary use of this would be a fold-out / swing-out truss system to support a sturdy tarp. .

That 60x40 tarp would be a perfect umbrella for Millicent if I can build a structure to support it -- ten feet overhang on all sides.

Can you direct me to a web site of a manufacturer?
Elliot I am new to this forum thing, I am a bit of a lurker (shy), I am preparing my second skoolie, I am a motorsport fan (rally racing) and truely dig the kinetic thing.
Now on point. I am preparing a service truck for rally racing and I am in the process of sourcing a hot air balloon fly for cheap fabric. the frame is going to be fastened off of a rack on the tire rack on top. I did my best to get the link from a awning company on your coast. Holiday are very nice and I have set them up many times when I volunteered for a race team. I am going the cheap route with balloon fabric and aluminum pipe (I am an electrician) I think the gallery photo link should work. If not I am waaaaayyyyy at the end.

Mike Merbach E.central WI

http://www.holidaymotorsportsawnings.com/
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk.../merbachs_bus/
Michael Merbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #449
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I love love love the Aggies bus rear porch. Just how long is your section for hauling the kontraptions, Elliot? I'm just curious about having a big porch like that and using it to haul stuff on, but I'd like to get an idea of what that leaves for interior space. The wheels are already turning for bus #2.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #450
Bus Geek

Yeehah! Dem's sum serious awnings -- both the Holiday ones and your own design! Nice model!

And welcome aboard, Michael! And don't be shy -- I pipe up and put my foot in my mouth all the time and nobody seems to notice.

Rallying was THE major motorsport when I grew up in Norway. So you have no secrets from me.

The two links worked fine, but your image did not.

Now, while I am at it, I shall tie up a couple of loose ends:

I KEEP FORGETTING to mention that our own Skoolie member Xtevan came over to see Millicent at Burning Man. And I got to inspect his rig also. Nice to meet some of youse guys in person.

Then the issue of screws. This is one of those a-lesson-for- you-all things. I keep finding screws on the floor of Millicent. Rarely the screws that the factory installed two decades ago, but screws that I have installed myself quite recently. They are falling right back out. I theorize that the factory has the skill to use the right screws in the right materials with the right size pilot holes and with the right fastening torque. And they do use a lot of sticky goop in the seams. I just grab something that sort'a fits and crank it in place. Bad idea. The vibration of a running vehicle will shake the darnest things loose. Might be an idea to borrow a trick from wood workers and use glue on everything. Even pop rivets could be dipped in glue immediately prior to installation. Maybe Gorilla Glue, which expands while setting up?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #451
Bus Geek

Yeah, some nice fabrication on those "sports spectator" buses.
Very nice Aggies rear porch indeed. Notice stairs just in front of bumper. And fabulous structure on the Longhorns bus!

Andrew, I have 15 feet and a few inches of cargo room in the rear of Millicent. That's just enough to roll "Henry Ford Goes Surfing" in there. If you build an Aggies style rear porch,... well, you'll just have to subtract the porch lenght from the interior space, won't you. (I don't think the Aggies rear porch is extended -- the overhang looks normal to my eyes.) Or am I missing something in your question?

I just took a snap shot of my new trailer and Millicent's "draw bridge". Stand by....

Continuing... Here we go....

Ah gots yer Big Back Porch right heh'ah, fellas!:

That's my new trailer. 25 feet long for a total of... yep, 65 feet. (We don't tell anybody that the Peterbilt grille sticks out a bit extra.) For now, it has just some scrap plywood for floor, but it serves adequately. This trailer is alarmingly low to the ground, yet it did not scrape on the trip to Burning Man. The "secret", of course, is that the axles are so far rearward. With the tailgate dropping onto the trailer, and the rear of the trailer so close to the ground, loading of Kinetic Racing Sculptures will be a breeze. (I may flip the springs for a tad more ground clearance.)

Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #452
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Then the issue of screws. This is one of those a-lesson-for- you-all things. I keep finding screws on the floor of Millicent. Rarely the screws that the factory installed two decades ago, but screws that I have installed myself quite recently. They are falling right back out. I theorize that the factory has the skill to use the right screws in the right materials with the right size pilot holes and with the right fastening torque. And they do use a lot of sticky goop in the seams. I just grab something that sort'a fits and crank it in place. Bad idea. The vibration of a running vehicle will shake the darnest things loose. Might be an idea to borrow a trick from wood workers and use glue on everything. Even pop rivets could be dipped in glue immediately prior to installation. Maybe Gorilla Glue, which expands while setting up?
One word: Red Loctite.

Oh, wait, that's two, isn't it? Anyhow, this stuff is the toughest stuff I've ever dealt with for threads. Putting carbide studs into snowmobile tracks, you use the red stuff on the threads and the studs will never unscrew - if they come out it's because they've pulled the big 'fender washer' nuts right through the track itself.

Just make sure the screws you're putting in are fairly snug in the holes ...

(But now that you've brought this up, I know what I'll be getting next time I'm out ... ;) )
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #453
Bus Geek

Quote:

Andrew, I have 15 feet and a few inches of cargo room in the rear of Millicent. That's just enough to roll "Henry Ford Goes Surfing" in there. If you build an Aggies style rear porch,... well, you'll just have to subtract the porch lenght from the interior space, won't you. (I don't think the Aggies rear porch is extended -- the overhang looks normal to my eyes.) Or am I missing something in your question?
I think I have the math part of it under control. I was looking for a visual reference. Now that I know you have 15 feet of cargo space I can go back and look at the pictures and see what 15 feet really looks like. You know as well as I do that drawings on paper to scale don't do justice to what the finished product will look like.

I was curious about the rear length because a guy could use that to haul a couple ATV's or sleds. If I were to do a porch setup like that the roof section would be cantilevered, possibly with removable pillars just for aesthetic purposes. I would then put a hideaway gooseneck or fifth wheel in the porch to tow a man-sized trailer with my wheeling rig on it. A regular hitch would allow towing something like a boat.

I like the idea of a skoolie as a toterhome. I like the idea of making that rear deck plate a little more eye pleasing and functional when the trailer is off even better. Hmm...screen porch for bug free free-air grilling and dining perhaps...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #454
Bus Geek

Hmmm.... Well, that fellow may be able to spot Zeros diving out of the sun, but he may have trouble spotting Toyotas approaching from the right.

Andrew, I can take any angles of pictures you want in MIllicent and e-mail you. Just place your order.
Drawings can indeed be inadequate. I find a tape measure and my elbows (More elbow room!) useful. But I also find that "The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry" and things have to be reconfigured. A new bus for you? Make darn sure it is the full 40 feet long.

A fith wheel or goose neck ball on the porch... could be pretty cool. But are you going to pull that heavy a trailer? I have experienced the difference in ride quality between a fifth wheel and a bumper pull on the same pick-um-up-truck, but when I drive Millicent with my bumper pull trailers, I don't even notice the trailer is there.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #455
Bus Geek

Quote:

A fith wheel or goose neck ball on the porch... could be pretty cool. But are you going to pull that heavy a trailer? I have experienced the difference in ride quality between a fifth wheel and a bumper pull on the same pick-um-up-truck, but when I drive Millicent with my bumper pull trailers, I don't even notice the trailer is there.
In the bus I probably wouldn't notice any difference at all between a bumper pull and a goose or fiver, but by the time you spend the money on a GOOD receiver hitch, sway control, equalizer bars, even the ball mount and ball themselves you might as well have just bought a fifth wheel setup. You might be able to get away with not having the sway control, but the equalizer bars and such have as much to do with the hitch surviving as they do with unloading the rear axle and loading the front axle. More important is that most flatdecks of the proper size and weight capacity are setup as gooses. Plus I would want to have a goose versus a bumper pull trailer should I ever get a 1 ton truck to tow with besides. Like you said...you notice the difference on a pick-um-up-truck.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #456
Bus Nut

I'll never go back to a bumperpull trailer behind a pickup. I don,t see the need to install a goose hitch over the axle on something as stout as millicent, just 4 ft from the bumper should work nicely and still leave plenty of room for coachwork.

elliot do you or does anyone else have any experience pulling a european style trailer where they mount the fifthwheel down low behind the drive axle, what are the pros and cons? percieved and reality. I realize that hookup would be a pain in the a-- but would their be enough advantages to overcome that?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #457
Bus Geek

Paul, I have no experience with such rigs. By the way, that arrangement is common in the US also -- on automobile transporters.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #458
Bus Nut

true, i was wondering if the long truck overhang, and long trailer tongue made a difference but the principal of the hitch behind the axle would be the same. thanks for the input
Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #459
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Merbach
Chassis: IH
Engine: DT366
Rated Cap: 74

Quote:
Yeehah! Dem's sum serious awnings -- both the Holiday ones and your own design! Nice model!

And welcome aboard, Michael! And don't be shy -- I pipe up and put my foot in my mouth all the time and nobody seems to notice.

Rallying was THE major motorsport when I grew up in Norway. So you have no secrets from me.

Well I looked into my pipe dream a little more. Balloon Fabric still eludes me,so I went retail so to say and inquired with a local Awning company. I was kind of surprised to learn that Rip stop fabric in various Denier or thickness cost from $14.60 for the heavy stuff down to $8.10 light weight stuff per 3'x5' chunck. $40 per hour to sew it this way and that, Zippers and hook and loop $4.20 per foot. ( I intend to look into the Bill board route )
If I go 10' off the side and 20' long I need (230/15) x $12.50 = $200ish
He stated that the display model 4'x14' took 4 hours to stitch 4hr x $40 = $160
So if I guesstimate it out to 10 x 20 I am thinking 16 hrs x $40 = $640 there has to be some economy of scale.

$ 840 installed on my frame is going to be a hellava cheaper than I was mentally budgeting for this task.
When you get back onto Millisense's awning/shade project I will be interested to gather your input... having dust and sun be the primary enemy as opposed to the Snow and cold I need to hide from next month in Houghton MI

I have to admit I was immediatly turned off when he suggested a RV awning. I bit on my tongue until it bled and showed him my picture, he earned my respect when he immediatly stated oh! you want a real awning. We tried a RV awning on the last bus and it collected a quite a bit of water/snow mix and proceeded to drip it on our heads as we serviced the rally car ( was not wide enough), then promtly collapsed during the disassembly process.(We move alot in the course of the multi day event)

BTW. closed road racing or rally is a secret here in the US. As it turns out kinetic sculpture racing is kind of a secret thing here(midwest) as well. I would have thought Chicago would have a following.

Mike
who is searching or Looking for folks who fit Semi or tractor doors onto a Skoolie.
Michael Merbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #460
Bus Geek

Thanks! Good to have a rough idea of what something like this would cost.

But the framework is probably going to be the most challenging. I suppose I ought to see some of the professional ones up close -- maybe what I have in mind has already been invented. But it will be a while, as I have plenty on my plate at the moment.