I was right! I anticipated I might make a Royal Mess out of this, AND I DID! I love it when I’m right!
But let’s take it from the top.
Having cut the Mono-Eyebrow from a sheet of (free!) aluminum, and sanded and cleaned the Upper Forehead in preparation for painting and installation of said Mono-Brow, I decided it was too hot in the sun to install it now. So I set a fan inside Millicent and proceeded with the Pouring Of The Foam inside the Forehead. The plywood that had been cut out for two of the new windows turned out to be perfect for the new bulkhead inside the Forehead.
The idea was to set the bulkhead in place, a bit loose, pour the foam between the Forehead and the bulkhead, then.. as the foam expanded and started hardening, push the bulkhead forward to apply permanent pressure on the Forehead -- creating a nice smooth convex Forehead that will not “oil can” in the wind.
And that worked. Just look!
(Crowd in unison: “Ooooooo!”)
There are some small wrinkles still, but the big waves are GONE.
There was, however, a slight Cluster Blunder along the way. (Crowd: “Uh, oh!”)
And that’s just what fell on the stairs, where it’s easy to clean. (Crowd: “Awwwwwwwwww.”)
(And I don't want to hear anything about the "Watch Your Step" sign!)
The foam is X-30 from Tap Plastics. You mix Part A and Part B, and the resulting goop expands 30-fold before it becomes solid. There is a chemical reaction and some resulting heat involved. The “sink-proofing” compartments in your fiberglass boat are full of the stuff.
Only trouble is, it’s 90 degrees Fahrenheit here this afternoon. At least. So there was a bit of heat already in the mixture when I mixed it... and... holy-mother-of-pearl-this-stuff-is-expanding-right-in-my-lap-and-spilling-all-over-the-plaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiii.... (Imagine Jon, of Garfield the Cat, running thru the house with his hair on fire.) X-30 is expensive, so I didn’t want to waste the stuff.
How do I cope with this sort of Cluster Blunder? No problem. I simply make a Time Zone adjustment. Straight to Miller Time. Just kidding. But I had a real good laugh, patted myself on the back for anticipating that something like this might happen (never mind that I allowed it to happen!), took a shower, combed some X-30 out of my hair -- kind’a like getting cockleburs out of the cat -- and now I’ll admire the result -- and spend the evening cleaning up the mess. All is well. In fact, better -- I’m making progress again!
Here is the bulkhead:
Crude, but functional, and it will all be covered up. The two small wood blocks are jamming the plywood forward while the foam hardens.
And here you can see the foam thru the old SB Blinking Lamp hole:
The plywood and the foam are almost the same color, so I’ll describe: There are three things in that round hole. The top third is the dark background -- Millicents’s interior. The middle third is the top of the plywood bulkhead. And the bottom third is foam.
As it cools off out there, I’ll keep after it until dark.