Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #661
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Re: The Millicent Chronicles; two foot roof raise, big tailg

Where did you order your valves from? I need to do that same thing and want to find some good ones. Not the threaded screw on type.

-Doc

Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #662
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr
Where did you order your valves from? I need to do that same thing and want to find some good ones. Not the threaded screw on type.

-Doc
I bought these from a big-truck parts store -- both times. (This happened to be a national chain of stores called FleetPride.) The valves screw into the threaded fitting on the tank, just like the manual turn-90-degrees-and-turn-them-back valves. They cost only 6 or 7 bucks a piece. I am not aware of any other type.

I never had trouble with this type in 27 years of trucking, but it is of course possible that the brand they have in this store is inferior.

If you, or anyone, can tell me of a better type, I would love to hear it.

(This all said.... I would of course love to have an automatic air dryer, which minimizes the need to drain the tanks!)

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #663
Bus Geek

Spring report:

The above mentioned air tank drain valves have much stiffer springs than the old ones, so that problem seems to be solved.

So... I took Millicent out for her first trip of the season, and... she went two blocks and lost power, stopping completely in the third block. Major stress for a while, until I got the fuel filters changed and she started again. She has since gone 250 miles just fine.
Important lesson here. Change your fuel filters! And keep fresh filters, and tools, and a gallon of fresh diesel to fill the filters, handy at all times. By filling both filters brim full with fuel, I did not have to use the priming pump -- it just took a bit of cranking to get her going again.

All the rod end joints on the throttle linkages and related linkages are very worn and need to be replaced. I also want to replace the fan belt and radiator hoses, and I deeply regret buying a forward control (flat nose, front engine) bus. There is simply no room to work, and I think the radiator will have to come out -- a massive job.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #664
Bus Geek

For good measure she has developed an oil leak at the front of the engine. I don't know where it is coming from.
At the moment she is in San Mateo, just south of San Francisco, at the Maker Faire for the weekend. Peter is using her. I'm taking the year off from Maker Faire.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #665
Bus Geek

Could very well be. Strange thing is, there is oil much higher on the engine and all the plumbing on the left side of it, but that oil could be blowing up there, driven by the fan. Time will tell. For now I will try to ignore it. I'm more eager to replace the fan belt before it breaks. Looks like it is extremely tight getting the belt out between the crank pulley and the engine mount bracket. I measured with feeler gauge -- just barely room. What tips can you give me about this job? I've never had any of this apart before.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #666
Bus Geek

Thanks! Millicent is a 1992 also, but she is different from yours. (I will have to wait a couple days to see what month she was built.) I don't have the wide tilt-up grill panel. I have two small "doors" for access instead.

How did you reinstall the fan shroud? Did you buy a new one? You don't want to leave it out -- it is there for good reason. And I pull heavy loads up long steep hills.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #667
Bus Geek

Oh... and you think the belt can be changed without removing the radiator.... I can see how, but I'm worried about reaching the tab that holds the fan clutch. My arms may not be long enough and flexible enough. But you have done it?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #668
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65

Man, I just love the documentation of this project, I can't tell you how many times I've been back to this bookmarked page for ideas and inspiration!
I'm on my second skoolie conversion and I've decided that I just gotta raise the roof. I've got a Bluebird body just like yours, and I'm going to be copying the milli-method for roof raising. It's the best I've found!
I am wondering if those jack mounts/rams you used were still lifting school buses somewhere out there? I'd love to use the real thing and save some time building my own. Plus I love the idea of sharing these awesome custom tools ;)
I would, of course, supply my own jacks.
I just sold an old cab-over front engine bus... I couldn't stand to work on it. Its either a conventional or a pusher for me! All my bussing friends agree and in our own fleet we've been phasing out the FE flat nosers for a while now...
Cheeers!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #669
Bus Geek

I would be happy to lend the telescoping guides. But they are in Northern California and they are big and heavy, so you would need to make your own arrangements for their transport.
Seems to me... if you are up to the rest of the job, you can make the guides pretty quickly yourself.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #670
Bus Geek

It was another wondermuss season for Millicent. She traveled 7117 miles and did not have to be towed. And if we don’t count the little mishap with the clogged fuel filter when I first started her in spring, she didn’t even impede traffic, much.

The best part of the 7117 miles was that I was not onboard for most of it. Co-owner Peter used her for most of those miles. Millicent is noisy, and she rides roughly, which gets old after about… two miles. So I have interior sound deadening near the top of my Winter To-Do List.

Now let’s talk about The Case Of The Defective Tire.

Loyal readers (who have nothing better to do that walk around thinking of this) may be aware that Millicent was equipped with el-cheapo Chinese front tires by the name of Double Coin. These were brand new in 2006, and were barely beginning to show appreciable wear now.

Well, when I went down to Peter’s house to bring Millicent back home the other day, I found a fist-size bubble on the shoulder of Millicent’s right front tire. Palm-size, anyway. Mostly on the sidewall, but an inch or two under the tread also. Ready to blow.

Of course, this can happen to any tire, as a result of hitting a curb or pot-hole or some such, or by pure fluke. But I never saw it in 27 years of trucking for a living. So I’m all done with cheapo tires.

A friend in the tire-business tells me that all tires should be discarded after six years, regardless of wear. He says it is in the nature of the materials that they deteriorate from time, ozone, UV-rays and whatnot.
Well, I had a set of car tires that I stored for ten years, and it did not take long before three of them had disintegrated at speed. So maybe my friend does know something about it.

But holy bananas, tires are expensive. Millicent’s new Toyo came to 500 bucks installed.

How long will I dare drive on the other Double Coin?

I’m thinking of buying a 1” pneumatic impact wrench and carrying the remaining Double Coin as a spare. I always intended to call road service if we had a flat, but there is no reason I cannot change my mind.

There was a peculiar episode with this new tire. The store, a Les Schwab, asked if I wanted the tire balanced, and I said yes. But what he did was place a paper bag of sand – sand! – inside the tire when he mounted it. Supposedly, the sand – it is actually a plastic material -- moves around and figures out how to balance the tire as it rolls. This ten ounces of “sand” cost 30 Dollars…

…And lasted less than ten miles before I turned around and made the clever fellow do the whole job over and vacuum every grain of crap out of my nice new tire. It runs perfectly now, without any balancing, as such tires usually do.

The sand actually does find its way to the light area of the tire when the tire rolls steadily down a smooth highway for an extended period. Trouble is, the stuff falls out of place every time you stop, and even moves around from changes in speed, to say nothing of how it gets knocked out of place by bumps. And when the sand is out of place, the tire shakes like a haunted bed.

My gut told me right away it was a Fundamentally Bad Idea, but the store had already mounted the tire when I learned about it.
Les Schwab has great friendly service, but they are prone to pushing these dubious profit-padders.
He did give me the $30 back. So the new tire actually cost only $470.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #671
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Don't get me started on Les Schwab
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #672
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

Loved your story on tires but you failed to mention tire size my bus has 12R 22.5 tires would hope that I can find them as cheap as you got yours.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #673
Bus Geek

Millicent uses 295/75R22.5. That means "low profile" tires, compared with the "standard" type you have. Prices shouldn't be horribly different for tires of similar load rating. Mine are probably roughly equivalent to 11s, so your 12s might be a little bit more.

My new tire is a Toyo M-157. The M-157 is approved for steering, but is primarily a trailer tire. He did not have the flavor that is primarily recommended for steering. I'm sure I will never know the difference.

Now that I'm looking at the invoice.... I remembered the price wrong. The tire cost $465 plus California sales tax. The total was 533, of which he refunded the 30 for the "sand". So a couple bucks over 500.

8 years ago I paid $220 each for the Double Coins, plus sales tax. So maybe I shouldn't complain. (Of course, that price was my employer's price, and we bought a lot of tires from old uncle Leslie. But I don't work there anymore.)

So... what's your Les Schwab story? Siping?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #674
Bus Geek

Still brainstorming about tires....
What to do with the remaining 8-year-old Double Coin after I replace it?
My first thought was to carry it as a spare. But it would require a storage compartment to be built, which would take up precious space, and even the weight is a concern because I scaled Millicent on a recent trip and she was right up against the rated limit.

8 years ago I decided against carrying a spare, and against carrying wheel-changing tools. But I'm perfectly capable of changing my mind, even in a cramped space -- ha, ha. I'm still disinclined to carry the wheel, but maybe I should carry the tools. Then, if I have a flat on the rear, I can remove it before the tire is ruined, and ease her into the next town on one tire. (Except on that one annual trip when she is heavily loaded.)
And if I have a flat on the front, I could transfer a rear wheel to the front. (Same.)

So.... Do you have any experience with this sort of thing? I already have a 10-ton bottle jack. I can buy a 1" long-snout 2,000 lbs/ft impact air wrench for around $200. Another $50 for a 1/2" hose. I could install a separate air tank with 1/2" outlet in an otherwise unusable spot.

Having (mis)spent 27 years driving 18-wheelers, I know better than to try loosening these nuts with a manual tool. Been there, done....

Thoughts? Ideas? Knowledge?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #675
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

You don't need to go to the expense of an air impact wrench to remove lug nuts. On E-bay they sell some torque multipliers that are made for the job, the one I got is a 78 to 1 which came with sockets and all for under a Hundred. It makes the job so much easier and takes up less space than the Impact tool itself and you can loosen up even the tightest lug nut with one hand even the wife can take them loose with one hand, no 6-8 foot bar to break them loose. They talked about them
over on the Wanderlodge website. Compact and very handy.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #676
Bus Geek

I have seen ads for those, but my gut tells me they may not be so handy as the ads and published reviews claim. Any first-hand experience?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #677
Bus Geek

All right... now I have looked at some ads and videos of these torque multipliers. They are different from the kind I remember from years ago. These look like they might do the job. I would buy the best known brand name for quality -- nothing generic.

One concern.... At least one manufacturer claims that the nuts can be re-torqued correctly by marking them before loosening, and tightening until the mark lines up again. This might be a reasonable approximation if you are putting the same rim back on, but if you are installing a different rim, the thickness of the material is almost certain to be sufficiently different to make this method useless.

So I would want to carry a plain manual tool also. Even better, of course, a torque wrench, but I'm thinking that a 3-foot bar would get me in the ballpark of 500 pound/feet.

Of course (again!), I would want to do the same if I used a 2,000 pound/feet pneumatic wrench for loosening. I cringe when I see shops tighten nuts with those.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #678
Bus Geek

Let’s do the rest of the END OF SEASON REPORT while I’m in the groove.

In a previous post we recounted the clogged fuel filter on the first warm-up drive of the season. Lesson learned: Change filters more often, perhaps specially when taking the beast out of mothballs; and use a fuel storage additive to prevent growth of organic organisms in the fuel during the winter hiatus. Power Service Bio Kleen is intended for this purpose, and is claimed to be available in many auto parts stores. But I couldn’t find it, even though they carry many other Power Service additives, so maybe this is one to buy online.

And now, just the other day, Millicent declined to start after a refueling stop, cranking normally but not firing. Turned out, the secondary fuel filter – the little one on the engine -- was loose.
Did I not install it tightly enough? That seems likely. But we can also take the opportunity to remember that machinery vibrates, and vibrations can do strange things. So from now on I will check the snugness of all filters after each trip. The smart way is to paint a mark on the filter after it is installed, lined up with a fixed reference point.

Other maintenance this season included greasing the chassis. The most important item may be king-pins. I “swear” I noticed the steering became lighter as a result. To grease a king-pin, you jack up the axle to take the weight off the tire. This allows the grease to get into the normally loaded areas of the bushings. Back in the day... I heard of truckers who did this every morning! I pledge to do it before every trip in the future.

A few weeks ago, I finally did something about the gaping void where the rear bumper used to be. I cut up two dirt-track racing tires and fitted tread sections around the corners, leaving the middle open for the trailer hitch.

Millicent also has a new trailer hitch ball. This one is a couple inches lower, to reduce the difference in ball height between Millicent and my pick-m-up-truck. The lower ball means a higher risk of scraping the ground, so this ball is welded to its bar, rather than having a stud-and-nut protruding underneath. This design is becoming available commercially, but not in an 8 inch drop, so a certified welder with much experience in trailer hitches made one up for me.

Henry Ford is supposed to have said that one cannot build a reputation on intentions. But this winter Millicent must, shall and will receive belts, hoses and other work that requires removal of the radiator.
An element of this much-delayed project is the fact that my health has finally been properly restored over this summer. Thank you, Medicare! So everything is full steam ahead.

Now a word about fresh water in camping vehicles. Tap water at my house comes out of Clear Lake, which is never anything resembling clear, and is currently infested with even more algae than usual, to the point that the water district cannot treat it adequately, and we are drinking bottled water at the house.
One day I found a red deposit in Millicent’s shower stall, as if someone had spilled a glass of Merlot in there. To wash it down I turned on the water – which stank to high heaven. More red residue was found in the fresh water tank.
Much bleach was consumed in sterilizing the system, followed by rinsing with much water from a different water district far from Clear Lake.
I always add ¼ cup bleach to 50 gallons water, but it wasn’t enough. Something to keep in mind.

Overall… another splendidly successful season for Millicent The Bus!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #679
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

For me its worth it to carry a spare. Probably more just ease of mind thing. I just carry the tire, no rim. I almost all the time have a trailer in tow, so it just goes on there. However, after this summer, I plan on finding a spot under the bus somewhere for it. July 5th, on our way home from ND we were 40 or so miles north of Mitchell SD when my two year old retread with 6500 mi. decided to come apart. I just limped the bus the rest of the way at about 30mph, just because I didn't want the rest of the tread coming off causing more damage. Got to the I90 truck stop at 6pm they closed at 5:30, it was Saturday. Although they were to be open the next morning at 9am. Went across the interstate and parked in the Cabela's parking lot for the night. Next morning went back over at 8:30am and caught the manager, he said he was booked till noon. He had me park next to the shop bays. I unloaded my spare and propped it up against the bus. Five minutes later manager comes over says he will do it himself, nice guy! Moral of my story, $42 and 20 minutes later we were on the road again. Overall I got pretty lucky, being outer dual and not having to break down the daytons. But either way, I don't see myself changing one. At least having the tire, I know I won't get totally screwed on price for some middle of nowhere tire shop. Although they might get me on the service call.

20140705_173330 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

My spare, I would rather it be a steer, but the price was right, $0. If it were just a matter of getting home, I would have them put it on the front just to get home.
20141109_091722 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #680
Bus Geek

Many truckers do indeed carry just a tire, no rim. They often wrap the tire in plastic stretch wrap, to keep dirt out of the inside cavity.
And I have seen the outer tire of duals replaced without touching the lug nuts -- just drive the inner up on a block. One time... I watched the man at the tiny Bonneville Speedway exit in Utah do this in four or five seconds! Likewise popping the new one on! Very impressive. Gives me renewed hope for mankind when I meet people who bother to become very good at their work.
Of course, I likewise impress people when I do the same with bicycles. Great fun!

Now.... As I plan for becoming self-sufficient in this respect.... If a front tire goes flat, the axle will be very close to the ground, and I will not get the bottle jack under it. So I need to develop some tool or method for this. Anybody?