Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #701
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Great to hear your headed out again.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #702
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
'I can't wait to get on the road again"
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #703
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Rumours... (note spelling, I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan)...
So that would be the later Nicks-Buckingham-Perfect era, not the earlier Peter Green "Black Magic Woman" era?

(Come to think of it, I haven't heard the original in decades.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #704
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hah! I have a CD with Christine Perfect's Blue Horizon recordings from 1969!

Millicent completed a 500 mile trip this weekend. Six adults and four children under 7. We need a MUCH larger bus! lol

Had to replace one of the new radiator hose clamps because it was a bit too large and bottomed out without becoming sufficiently tight.

The accelerator linkage still has "issues". This is not related to the recent replacement of worn-out rod-ends, but is a return spring problem. We had to put an extra return spring on it, to make sure it comes back to idle. So now the pedal requires two men and a boy to accelerate, and even to hold steady speed. The cable seems to operate perfectly freely when I fiddle with it, but something is causing it to hang up while driving. Anybody have experience with this? I am considering converting to a more direct linkage thru the floor, eliminating the many-feet-long cable.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #705
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
The cable has probably cut a pathway in the outer shield and is hanging up
in the outer housing. You've got two choices 1. replace the throttle cable with
new or 2. turn the housing 90 to 180 degrees so the cable doesn't have the
valley to drop into to and get wedged. HTH
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #706
Bus Geek

That does indeed sound like the most likely explanation. Thank you!

Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #707
Bus Geek

While these other items are brewing, I want to buy 100 feet black plastic tubing to use as a solar water heater on the roof. An online calculator tells me that 100 feet of 1 inch I.D. tubing will hold 8 gallons -- plenty for several showers. And I still have the anti-scalding mixer patiently waiting to be installed.

Question is... what type tubing to buy? I looked at some black "poly" tubing at Home Depot, and it was listed as tolerating a maximum of 80 F. Heck, that might boil right along with the water. So to speak. What do I look for?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #708
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
SCH40 is used in most houses around here for hot water supply. It should hold up.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #709
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
SCH40 is used in most houses around here for hot water supply. It should hold up.
I would like to see some science on that pipe holding up to that temp.

Why do they not use pex?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 06-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #710
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I dunno. I just know what I've seen.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #711
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Cresline is a national manufacturer of PVC pressure pipe. A brief data sheet for their SCH-40 product is here. Other interesting technical bits there. Briefly, they rate their 1" SCH-40 for 450 psi at 73.4ş F. The de-rating table goes up to 140ş F and shows a 0.22 multiplier at that temperature -- 99 psi. It's not unheard of for a municipal supply to be pressurized into that neighborhood (but a regulator should be present!), but for the unpressurized solar heating use, it could be appropriate. One of the technical docs mentioned "The maximum recommended temperature for polyethylene and PVC pipe is 140ş F and 130ş F respectively."

What temperature do you figure the collector should tolerate? I agree the 80ş F rating of that irrigation PE pipe is no good... even on a hot sweaty day I would want my shower to be at least 94ş F, and normally I prefer 102-106ş F.

How do you feel about a small tank mounted higher than the heat collector? Maybe you could consider a small collector with copper pipe, thermosiphoning into a plastic tank. The tank in this arrangement could have a lower temperature rating than the collector.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #712
Bus Geek

Family Wagon, that's real information, and I thank you.
I go camping in a desert in summer, and I have heard of folks getting scalded -- at least to a minor degree -- by water from those black shower bags that camping supply stores sell. So we could be dealing with fairly high temperatures as "domestic" water goes.

The arrangement I'm planning will have an adjustable modulating valve that mixes in cold water as needed. I bought that mixer years ago, but didn't get further until now.

As I envision it, the heating coils (or whatever shape it will take) will be under pressure up to around 40 psi. Come to think of it, with heat expansion, maybe there ought to be a relief valve.

I'm trying to keep this simple. Just a flat coil of hose zip-tied to the roof rack.

What have I been using? A black plastic "keg" that I set outside in the sun. I pull the pickup tube from the regular water tank and stick into the hot one. lol

Old 06-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #713
Bus Geek

All this Stuff, just to save the driver the 1-second task of moving a lever or knob.
What you see here is the fuel valve solenoid and its relay, mounting brackets and linkages. All of which can fail and leave you stranded. (This is Millicent’s Cummins 5.9 mechanical-controlled engine – other engines will differ.)
All this does... is move a little lever on the injection pump.

And all this was replaced with a simple push-pull cable. Just ask any auto parts store for an old-fashioned choke cable. To start the engine, pull the knob out before cranking with the key. To shut it off, push the knob in. (Turn the key of also, of course.)

This simple mechanical arrangement also lets you keep the engine running even if you lose all electric power, or if the starter goes wonky and you don't dare shut it off until you have a new starter in your hand.

This is a closer look at the solenoid and relay. The relay is called a “pull solenoid timer module”. It sends the full 12 volts to the solenoid at first, to pull it in, then cuts the voltage to a holding voltage, so the solenoid will not overheat, and I suppose also to avoid over- burdening the rest of the electric system.

The timer is near impossible to get to without removing the big bracket. Millicent’s timer had been replaced – by zip-tying the new one to some convenient object, leaving the old one where it was.

Next I’m installing a short and simple accelerator linkage, replacing the mile-long cable that runs in a veritable knot.

Oh... and I am seriously considering raising the roof another foot. I keep trying to improve on the upper bunk arrangement, and every solution requires more headroom. Yes, seriously. With proper planning and pre-fabbing, just like last time, and Peter-the-human-riveting-machine to help, I bet we could do it in a week.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #714
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
OMG!...A THREE FOOT roof raise!? --- This may well be a Skoolie first. Maybe anywhere.

Goota'ask...what would the outside height be?

I have to assume the "Bridges of Madison County" are off limits...right?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #715
Bus Geek

It is 12' 6" now. That's to the top of the "roof rack" -- that is, the steel bows that support the shade tarps. (The peak of the roof itself is about 4 to 6" below that.) So I could go up another 18", since the limit is 14'. Of course, I would keep it a few inches below 14', just to avoid antagonizing anyone. I could lower the bows a couple inches, but don't want to lose any air circulation between the roof and the tarps.

I am interested in buying a rear roof cap, and also one or more inside roof-arch panels -- the ones at each end inside.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #716
Bus Geek

I think I will give up on this new version of the forum. I just wrote a "quarterly report", and then the forum lost my sign-in and it all disappeared. I have no idea if this will post.

So thanks for the companionship and the knowledge and the suggestions and the questions and everything!

Old 09-25-2015, 02:29 AM   #717
Bus Nut

So long and thanks for all the fish.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #718
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have had the same thing happen repeatedly. And only on this forum.

Moddies...Owners...PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!

It is either driving people away...or (more than) a little mad!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #719
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
I think I will give up on this new version of the forum. I just wrote a "quarterly report", and then the forum lost my sign-in and it all disappeared. I have no idea if this will post.

So thanks for the companionship and the knowledge and the suggestions and the questions and everything!
Please don't go.

You were one of my original inspirations for a roof raise.

Now your going up another foot. I would love to follow along.

No matter what direction you take, thanks for being here and sharing your experiences with us. It's been a pleasure.

Nat

Old 09-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #720
Bus Geek

Looks like I am still signed in from yesterday, so if this actually posts....

I will try to post any significant news.

But I will not have much patience with further snafus. "LIfe's too short..." ya know.

Oh, and... Thanks for the kind words!