Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: The Millicent Chronicles; two foot roof raise, big tailgate

Progress report:

Progress! Whatta concept! Progress today!!!

Give me a few moments to burn off that last beer, and I'll take couple of snap shots and get down to cases.

(Urp.)

Yep, getting Millicent ready for Burning Man!
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #422
Bus Crazy

That's my "black water" tank -- the sewer tank. It sort'a fits in the left cargo box, so with a bit of cutting and grinding, that's where it goes. This happens to be smack below where the toilet goes, so... perfect fit.

From underneath and behind, you can see how I cut away the rear wall of the luggage box and let the tank protrude just a little. Some wood and plywood will go in critical spots -- primarily to protect the tank from sharp edges.

Notice the two shiny new bolts? I replaced the regular bolts holding the box with carriage bolts -- so the heads would not cut holes in the tank.

This tank is just far enough rearward in the bus that there is room for the second fuel tank in front of it. And there is plenty of room behind it for the drain plumbing -- in front of the rear tires.

More tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #423
Bus Crazy

Worked on another area of Millicent today. I scratch whatever itches at the moment! Today's itch was created by Richard Watson, who pulled this off on his own bus, and reported that it worked very well. http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2445

That... is the same old door -- after I removed a bunch of hardware that awrghtrnt (ought not) be there. The more weather stripping and hardware I removed, the further the door opened. I'm calling it good at a bit more than 90 degrees. No modification needed to the hinge itself. Not finished today, but I love it already!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #424
Bus Crazy

Thought you'd catch me driving around with a short door on a tall bus, dit-cha?

Not while I have access to Power Tools!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #425
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin

I like it - I have plans for that same modification (folding door into non-folding door) although I don't need to extend the roof upwards. My bus is not going to be so tall!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #426
Bus Crazy

I never did make friends with the bi-fold door, nor its pneumatic operating system, nor the limited head-clearance; and now all are getting fixed in one operation, thanks to inspiration from Richard Watson!

Say, Kevin, do I have a radiator badge that says "Millicent" in Peterbilt style script yet?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #427
Bus Crazy

Pow! Bang! Ka-Boom! Caught yer attention, didnít it -- like a little slap up the side of the head?

As will the latest addition to Millicent.

But first, background. Itís a simple fact that most of us cannot afford the Big Vehicle we would really like to own, like a Prevost Marathon, so we jury-rig ourselves a modest facsimile out of a decommissioned school bus instead. I can live with that. And sleep at night too, since, at least, I didnít get rich by exploiting or defrauding anybody. (Yeah, thatís a stretch, but.... )

Now, since we do know what those Prevost Marathons look like, we sometimes engage is a bit of humor -- including gallows humor -- where we compare our own rattletrap buses with said $ 1.000.000,- palaces-on-wheels. Any laugh is a good laugh! At least until the lawyers show up.

But for me, those days are over. Millicent will never be mistaken for a Prevost, not even as a joke -- as of today. Because today was the day when I installed the Beverly Hillbillies Pipe.

More commonly, such a pipe is a bit larger in diameter and serves as a chimney for a wood stove. Mine is only two inches in diameter, but it certainly gets The Look across. Here we go (Stand clear!):

Technically, it is the vent for Millicentís sewage tank -- which is located in a (former) luggage compartment. Iím pondering some cute ďmuzzle brakeĒ for the tip of it. But no frills this week, nor next, because Millicent must get ready for Burning Man. Two weeks and a few hours to departure from Clearlake. Two months worth of work to do first.

All non-essential projects are sidelined. All non-vital spending is redlined. 14 days.

But the water closet is bolted to the floor now. MAJOR progress!:

This shot shows the relationship between the shower and the commode. Hopefully, there will be enough room in the middle for toweling and changing as so forth.
The throne is a Thetford Aria Classic.
Donít ask me about the other Stuff in the picture.

Now, to wrap up this Sundayís sermon on the evils of $ 1.000.000,- palaces-on-wheels....
When I walk down the street towards my house, and Millicent comes into view, that Hillbilly Vent Pipe just about jumps out and smacks me up-da-side-uh-deh-head like POW! Get's my 'tenshon, you might say.
Maybe I can incorporate it in the paint? How about painting a nice big brick chimney around it?
Meanwhile, at least Iím probably safe from the lawyers at Prevost and Marathon. I doubt they are much into "Ka-Boom up-da-side-uh-deh-head".

Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #428
Bus Nut

Quote:
The lifting will be done with four jacks under four 52‚ÄĚ long Lift Rams. The Rams will be attached to existing bolts in the roof -- just luck that there are bolts there!

The Rams will slide inside the Guides. The Guides are 17‚ÄĚ long and bolt to the lower part of the bus.

Photo shows two sets; one apart and one assembled -- but the rams still need ears on top for the above mentioned bolts.

Hey Elliot,

I know that it has been a while.... So here I am busy re-inventing the wheel... But what were the sizes of the "ram" and "guide" that you used on your roof lifting jack?
Yeah the guide is 17" long and the ram is 52"... but what were they... 1 1/2" square 1/8" wall or what?
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #429
Bus Crazy

Let's see... (rummages noisily in back of garage)

Ah. Here we are:

Black: Jack post.

Red: Jack parts -- foot, carriage and handle.

Bare steel: Lift Ram.

Yellow: Lift Ears, welded to Lift Ram, they bolt to roof.

White: Lift Guide, bolts to body.

Green: Jack Steady, welded to Guide, keeps Jack from tipping over.

The Lift Ram is 1 1/2 inch square outside. The wall is not critical, but looks to be less than 1/8.

The Lift Guide is 2 inch square outside. The wall looks to be the same -- less than 1/8. This mattered a little bit, because I wanted room for the bolt heads inside the Guide. Sliding the Ram into the Guide, there is about a 1/4 inch slop "north-south", and the same "east-west" -- just right for the bolt heads, which are about 1/4 inch high. Around the corner from the bolts, I filled the 1/4 inch gap with flat stock, so the Ram fits snugly in the Guide.

BUT YOU COULD WELD TABS ONTO THE OUTSIDE OF THE GUIDES AND USE THOSE TO BOLT THE GUIDES TO THE BUS! I just had this "Clever Elliot Idea" that I wanted the bolts inside the Guide. No real reason. Certainly not needed. Just looked smooth.

So all you really need is for the Ram to fit reasonably well inside the Guide. Exact dimentions don't matter, so long as it works.

That help any?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #430
Bus Nut

Hey Elliot....

TANKS

oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote