Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #461
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: The Millicent Chronicles; two foot roof raise, big tailgate

Just a thought, but what about using a material like Tyvek? It's impermeable to liquid water yet allows vapor to pass, is incredibly tough yet can be worked with regular household scissors and a sewing machine, and I don't think it's terribly expensive. I know many homemade boats actually use the housewrap for making the sails.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #462
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Hmmm.... Tyvek. Thin and light. Would be easy to lift and stow and otherwise handle. But is it really strong enough to handle 60 MPH winds in the Black Rock Desert? And sewing all those strips together is not going to happen around here. And... any chance they make it without the printing on it? Sure is strong for its weight. But in sizes like we are talking about, my gut tells me it would not hold up. I bet those hay farmers would use it over their stacks of bales if they could, but they use quite heavy tarps. I still think the 40 x 60 hay tarp for $305,- is a darn good deal.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #463
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I don't think Tyvek has much in the way of UV resistance.

Smitty
There is a product called Tyvek UV Soft Structure designed specifically for dealing with direct UV exposure. It is typically used for ATV covers, apparel, portable porches, you name it. They also make one called Relfecta IIRC which is supposed to be exceptionally good at reflecting light keeping things even cooler.

Regular Tyvek is going to be the cheapest and can be coated to prevent UV decay according to DuPont.

*edit* I should also point out that Tyvek UV can be purchased in a 10 foot by 10 yard roll, perfect for a nearly full length awning.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #464
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454

I have to say I am VERY glad I found this forum. The enthusiasm of the members is really pumping me up about our conversion. As a result, I think a mediocre skoolie might become a rather spectacular one. I don't think I'm gonna raise the roof just yet, though!
retrogeek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #465
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogeek42
I have to say I am VERY glad I found this forum. The enthusiasm of the members is really pumping me up about our conversion. As a result, I think a mediocre skoolie might become a rather spectacular one. I don't think I'm gonna raise the roof just yet, though!
What? The other guys' posts are pumping you up, but mine are not? Hey, now I'm offended!
Welcome aboard, Retrogeek!
But as for how spectacular your bus turns out, well... we'll be the judges of that -- har har.
Really, as I keep telling people, raising the roof is not that difficult. And you certainly would want to do that first, not last! But it is a lot of work, and only you can determine what you should do.
Good luck with your project!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #466
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454

One other thing I've gotten out of this board...I'm seeing this as my FIRST conversion, not necessarily my only one...lol! So I figure, make the mistakes on this one (like trying to pull the seats with a ratchet) and try the fancy stuff once I've gotten that down pat. We certainly could use the extra space of a raised roof, I know THAT much.

I bought a work light and will be using a work light and space heater during winter....I'm pulling seats now, and starting the primer on the outside.
retrogeek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #467
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Just a thought, but what about using a material like Tyvek? It's impermeable to liquid water yet allows vapor to pass, is incredibly tough yet can be worked with regular household scissors and a sewing machine, and I don't think it's terribly expensive. I know many homemade boats actually use the housewrap for making the sails.
We created a giant quanza hut structure at bm one year out of pvc pipe and tyvek. I helped erect the structure, but had no part in it's planning ect. It was a few years ago, but i think i remember taping the tyvek to the pvc....anyhow. It held up really well to the wind and other elements for a week. It was big enough to park at least 4 buses inside of.

it's biggest drawback was noise. When the wind blows, the "crinkling plastic" noise it makes is 100X worse than trying to open a piece of candy during a quiet church service.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #468
Bus Crazy

Quote:
...its biggest drawback was noise. When the wind blows, the "crinkling plastic" noise it makes is 100X worse than trying to open a piece of candy during a quiet church service.
Ah. Thanks for pointing that out, Jason. Back to the heavy trucking and hay tarps!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #469
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m

it's biggest drawback was noise. When the wind blows, the "crinkling plastic" noise it makes is 100X worse than trying to open a piece of candy during a quiet church service.
Wasn't that "crinkling plastic noise" the PVC pipe stressing in the wind?
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #470
Bus Crazy

Allright. I owe you guys some updates, like on the door enlargement, and those will be trickling in as time allows.

For now, here is the latest on the commode. You probably think I have an infantile facination with the toilet, but this is a great example of how a small adjustment can make a big difference in the utilization of space in a bus.
You may recall that after Burning Man, I was ready to tear out a perfectly good wall and move it a few inches for more elbow room around the commode. Well, no need. I just rotated the commode a few degrees. To be safe, I installed a new gasket in the process. This gasket replacement also allowed me to confirm that the gasket has enough crush to seal tight, as I could compare the flattened gasket to the new one.
And this slightly crooked installation makes all the difference -- combined with moving the sink a few inches closer to the shower (a five minute job). Here it is:

Nothing finished about this bathroom yet, that's for sure, but people can fit comfortably in there now!
Water is supplied to all three bath fixtures by a standard RV type 12 Volt pump -- although the piping is temporary. The way I have it wired, is that the pump is connected in parallell with the light, so that when you walk into the room, you flip the light switch and you have both light and water pressure in one fell swoop.

We drove 1807 miles last weekend, to a Kinetic Sculpture Race near Seattle. Millicent, of course, never missed a beat, except for smoking the brakes a bit going down Ashland Grade. We did not get rained on during the race itself, but the first stage of the race was the water stage, and nice cool Puget Sound sea-water splashed generously onto my seat. That seat is comfortably padded with foam rubber, so I spent the rest of the day sitting on an icy-ass-wet sponge of a seat. So now I have Double-Cheeked Phneumonia Of The Butt. It will clear up, but please don't make me cough right now.

Oh... about smoking the brakes. Millicent seems to have lost what little engine braking she once had. The tranny seems to be behaving differently, freewheeling when I would like it to be firmly connected to the engine. I already posted a quetion about this under "Everything else", but I'll allow myself a tiny amount of double posting. I could use some info on how the MT643 is supposed to work - specially about the modulator cable.

I really must repair the throttle linkage. I knew it did not open the pump all the way, but now we confirmed it. Quite simply, while Peter was driving, I opened the dog house and pushed on the pump linkage. You bet, there was quite a bit more power in there! The main culprit is a worn-out pivot on a bellcrank, allowing the bellcrank to rock sideways, rather than transfer motion straight fore-and -aft. You might want to check yours.

And now, some snap shots from the above mentioned Kinetic Sculpture Race: These are the entries that Millicent transported:

“Henry Ford Goes Surfing”, with Yours Truly in the (right rear) driver’s (wet) seat.

“Pear County Chopper”

“Counterfeit Bluesmobile”. I did not build this one, but its upkeep has fallen to me, which I don’t mind at all.

“Bucking For Glory”, built and ridden by Peter - Millicent’s chief assistant conversion technician.

Finally, a local Port Townsend entry, which may be of interest on this forum:

The Magic Bus.

All five photos by Druid Labs.