Allright. I owe you guys some updates, like on the door enlargement, and those will be trickling in as time allows.
For now, here is the latest on the commode. You probably think I have an infantile facination with the toilet, but this is a great example of how a small adjustment can make a big difference in the utilization of space in a bus.
You may recall that after Burning Man, I was ready to tear out a perfectly good wall and move it a few inches for more elbow room around the commode. Well, no need. I just rotated the commode a few degrees. To be safe, I installed a new gasket in the process. This gasket replacement also allowed me to confirm that the gasket has enough crush to seal tight, as I could compare the flattened gasket to the new one.
And this slightly crooked installation makes all the difference -- combined with moving the sink a few inches closer to the shower (a five minute job). Here it is:
Nothing finished about this bathroom yet, that's for sure, but people can fit comfortably in there now!
Water is supplied to all three bath fixtures by a standard RV type 12 Volt pump -- although the piping is temporary. The way I have it wired, is that the pump is connected in parallell with the light, so that when you walk into the room, you flip the light switch and you have both light and water pressure in one fell swoop.
We drove 1807 miles last weekend, to a Kinetic Sculpture Race near Seattle. Millicent, of course, never missed a beat, except for smoking the brakes a bit going down Ashland Grade. We did not get rained on during the race itself, but the first stage of the race was the water stage, and nice cool Puget Sound sea-water splashed generously onto my seat. That seat is comfortably padded with foam rubber, so I spent the rest of the day sitting on an icy-ass-wet sponge of a seat. So now I have Double-Cheeked Phneumonia Of The Butt. It will clear up, but please don't make me cough right now.
Oh... about smoking the brakes. Millicent seems to have lost what little engine braking she once had. The tranny seems to be behaving differently, freewheeling when I would like it to be firmly connected to the engine. I already posted a quetion about this under "Everything else", but I'll allow myself a tiny amount of double posting. I could use some info on how the MT643 is supposed to work - specially about the modulator cable.
I really must repair the throttle linkage. I knew it did not open the pump all the way, but now we confirmed it. Quite simply, while Peter was driving, I opened the dog house and pushed on the pump linkage. You bet, there was quite a bit more power in there! The main culprit is a worn-out pivot on a bellcrank, allowing the bellcrank to rock sideways, rather than transfer motion straight fore-and -aft. You might want to check yours.
And now, some snap shots from the above mentioned Kinetic Sculpture Race: These are the entries that Millicent transported:
“Henry Ford Goes Surfing”, with Yours Truly in the (right rear) driver’s (wet) seat.
“Pear County Chopper”
“Counterfeit Bluesmobile”. I did not build this one, but its upkeep has fallen to me, which I don’t mind at all.
“Bucking For Glory”, built and ridden by Peter - Millicent’s chief assistant conversion technician.
Finally, a local Port Townsend entry, which may be of interest on this forum:
The Magic Bus.
All five photos by Druid Labs.