Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #581

Re: The Millicent Chronicles; two foot roof raise, big tailg

I have read this entire thread over the past two days. And.. WOW!

But... almost tow months since any updates. What happened? Paint job?
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #582
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Alas, we did not get any painting done at Burning Man. I tend to have more ideas and plans than there are room for in one week.

But I can report that Millicent made the trip without a hiccup. Only concern was smoking the brakes a couple of whiffs off Donner Pass going home. We were pretty heavy -- two full size pianos, an electric golf cart, five stories of industrial scaffolding, etc etc etc. I really must install brakes on the trailer.
Having said this, I must caution everyone to "do as I say and not as I do". I have a quarter century experience in rolling 18-wheelers off that mountain.

Would love to install an electromagnetic retarder on the driveshaft, like a Telma. But finding one cheap -- one that we know is in good condition....

I already posted some info from this Burning Man trip on the Burning Man 2010 thread in... oh, "field trips and tail gate parties" or whatever that section is called, so if you are so inclined, you can detour over there for a minute. Organized, I'm not.

Now.... About the pyrometer that I installed earlier this year. I have not even opened the engine cover to look where the water hoses and passages go, but I'm wondering about something: See... here is what we do: When it is warm outside, we shut off the engine coolant flow to the heaters, since the control valve/cable is stuck open. And when it is cool outside, we open the flow so we can have heat. Well, I swear the pyrometer runs hotter -- hits 900 F faster -- when the heaters are shut off. So the question is this: Does the exhaust temperature get hotter because the ambient air is warmer and everything becomes warmer, or does the exhaust temperature get hotter because the water flow that runs thru the heaters is shut off -- maybe providing less cooling for the turbo or something? I ought to be able to figure this out, but I thought I'd toss the question out there.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #583
Bus Crazy

Probably "all of the above". More heat is more heat. I can walk out to MIllicent now and read the ambient temperature on the pyrometer (just not very accurately). And I did think about the oil flowing thru the turbo.

But it seems to me that in the "working" range of the exhaust heat, we are dealing mostly with combustion efficiency and power output? That is, how the ambient air temperature might affect combustion?

Well, I can find out by repairing the heater controls so I can turn the flow on and off with the lever on the dash like it is supposed to be. Just need to get around to that!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #584
Bus Crazy

Right, altitude would play in as well. So many variables!

But yes, it's kind'a stupid of me that I have not repaired the heater controls. Too many projects.

Thanks for those links!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #585
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

Now.... About the pyrometer that I installed earlier this year. I have not even opened the engine cover to look where the water hoses and passages go, but I'm wondering about something: See... here is what we do: When it is warm outside, we shut off the engine coolant flow to the heaters, since the control valve/cable is stuck open. And when it is cool outside, we open the flow so we can have heat. Well, I swear the pyrometer runs hotter -- hits 900 F faster -- when the heaters are shut off. So the question is this: Does the exhaust temperature get hotter because the ambient air is warmer and everything becomes warmer, or does the exhaust temperature get hotter because the water flow that runs thru the heaters is shut off -- maybe providing less cooling for the turbo or something? I ought to be able to figure this out, but I thought I'd toss the question out there.
You can shut off the heaters in the bus? The only switch I can think of is that red one looking directly ontop of the engine. I have rear heat on the bus and that heater with fan off still gets damn hot and the air conditioning is at a battle to keeop the temp down
Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #586
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadluc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

You can shut off the heaters in the bus? The only switch I can think of is that red one looking directly ontop of the engine. I have rear heat on the bus and that heater with fan off still gets damn hot and the air conditioning is at a battle to keeop the temp down

The bus a temp setting with a knob under the dash...looks like it controls heat temp but not sure if that is for the rear heater. I don't have the bus out on long trips everyday ..Guess I'll do some experimenting.Installing a flow valve before the rear heater should solve the proublem
Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #587
Bus Crazy

Right. On Millicent, the entire heater loop has a "garden hose faucet" on each end. The entire heater system can be isolated from the engine. That's how I got home when I blew a heater fitting.

One of these valves is on top of the engine, at the left rear -- the red one:

The other is underneath, by the entry steps.

We sometimes open the engine cover for a few seconds while driving to open or close that red valve.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #588
Skoolie

Ok Thats the valve I was talking about...Entry steps..MMM must be under the bus Have to take a look. So you can completly shut off the heat to the rear and the dash heat? That will be good news on the next trip! I slide the switch on the heater controls(last one there's 3) on the dash to recirrculate the air so hot air dont blow out the vents from the dash when I get moving. Will shut those off and see how it dose.thanks for that info guys
Old 09-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #589
Bus Crazy

A BIG DECISION.

A big decision has been made: Millicent will be going up for sale. I don't know when, but the years are catching up with me and I am no longer fit to participate in the Kinetic Sculpture Races. And five years of Burning Man may be enough.

So this is an "early warning", or perhaps a "test baloon", or some such.

There are a couple of half-done things I need to complete in Millicent before I can reasonably sell her, like the new instrument panel that's only half finished. And we are going on two trips in October. After that, I'll start thinking more seriously about selling her. No, I have no idea how much money to ask for.

Well, there it is. A horribly half-finished bus, but in good mechanical condition with practically new tires.

No hurry -- just time to start thinking about it.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #590
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Better a half finished bus that's been used than a completed rig that has sat.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote