Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #591
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: The Millicent Chronicles; two foot roof raise, big tailg

We have averaged a handful of roughly-1000-miles trips each year, for a total of 22.500 miles in four summer seasons. The odometer now reads 214168. It fires up in a split second, even after sitting for a few months during the winter.

Bus-bro, it is not quite certain yet, but we are considering going to Port Townsend next weekend, October 2-3, for the Kinetic Sculpture Race there. It hangs on getting the Racing Sculpture ready to race in time. Preliminary Events on Saturday, and the Race itself on Sunday.

Final trip of the season will be to Ventura, Southern California, for that race on October 23.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #592
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo

Wow just spent way too much time on ebay- but if your thinking of selling anyway - put an add up and set the reserve at a high mark and see what happens. There are a lot of buses for sale - and a couple of interesting projects-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
way cool and great interior ideas http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #593
Bus Nut

Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Elliot, I sure hope you make it to P.T. for the race. I'll be in town too, and sure would like to see your bus & your Kinetic Sculpture.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #594
Bus Nut

Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I saw Elliot pedaling a Kinetic Sculpture this weekend, and gave him a shout. Had an exterior house paint job to do, so I couldn't hang around: Winter is just around the corner in these northern latitudes.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #595
Bus Crazy

Yep, Millicent made another 2000 mile trip.

It seems clear that speed makes a big difference in fuel mileage. We were in a hurry going north, so we drove 60 and better. Coming home, we drove a strict 55. I don't have the numbers, since it is Peter who keeps track of such things, but he mentioned we were "suddenly" up around 10-11 MPG coming home.

I'm seriously considering relocating the door so we can have more of a "living room" up front. My traveling companions tend to gravitate to the front while we are rolling down the road -- more to keep company with the driver than to look out the windshield. The navigator seat on the fender is almost useless, because it is so far from the driver, and also because there is no floor or footrest. The only way to sit on it is sideways, with feet on the engine cover. In other words, the stair well is wasted space. I'm envisioning a "sofa group" that wraps around the engine cover, with the engine cover as the table. As it is, Jerri likes to sit on an ice chest behind the engine cover, close to her husband Peter when he drives. So we need a seat there, even if leg room would be tight. Obviously, each bus owner would have a different situation, with their own group of traveling companions, but that's how it is for us.

Oh, and we have Peter & Jerri's Baby Sam. To make sure he does not fall out of a window, I have installed sturdy "prison bars" screens. It looks a bit hokey, but this is important. One screen came off a screen door in my house, and the other is some sort of steel wire shelf or something. The point is that they are strong enough that Sam can not get thru them, like he probably could get thru the RV window bug screens.

Back to the door.... One idea is to put a new door immediately behind the fender, but then we would still have a stair well rather close to the front. The other option is to put the door quite far towards the rear. But... many other things to do first.

We still have a problem with engine fumes. The big vent intake I cut a while ago helped, but not enough. The really weird thing is that the fume problem occurs primarily when we are going downhill. Who can explain that!? I'm thinking crank-case ventilation. But that seems backwards. Oil from the turbo while the engine is coasting? The smoke would still go out the tailpipe. I'm stumped. Anybody?

Regardless of Millicent's unfinished state, and these minor bugs, Millicent is serving us very well. We are able to haul several Kinetic kontraptions to these events, and sleep out of the weather, and we have a flush toilet. Next we really ought to install the water heater so we can make more use of the shower, and I suppose I will "break down" and install the three-way RV refrigerator soon.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #596
Bus Crazy

Now....

On the other hand...

...the trip took a lot out of me. I'm thinking more and more that I need to retire from all this activity.

So I'm more and more open to selling Millicent, as she sits. Great running condition, with tons of unfinished work.

USD 3.000,-. Firm. This offer to sell at this price is subject to withdrawal at my whim.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #597
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo

It would be nice if you could post a recent pic on your thread here.[img]H:\Documents%20and%20Settings\miles\My%20Documents fromH\My%20Pictures\anna[/img]
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #598
Bus Crazy

Yes, I'm going to drive her over to a big parking lot and take a few pictures. Might be a day or two -- I have not even unhooked the trailer from the last trip.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #599
Bus Crazy

Luckily, desperation is not part of the equation. But I'm planning to change my lifestyle a bit.

Millicent exists primarily for going to Kinetic races and such events. I suppose that's why the work on Millicent has slowed to a crawl -- she is already adequate for these trips. The only things we really miss on these outings are the water heater and the refrigerator, and we have "work-arounds" for these. So the last couple of years I have found myself working on Kinetic vehicles, Burning Man toys, and odd things like pianos instead of Millicent herself. (I have ten pianos at last count.)

Maybe I'll wake up at 2 AM one day soon and resume working on Millicent with all my heart. But right now I'm teaching myself to repair pianos. Too many projects!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #600
Bus Crazy

Well, this concludes "The Millicent Chronicles". And 43 pages of one thread was probably close to jamming the server anyway!

My friend Peter bought her, so she is only moving 90 miles. That was the best outcome -- he claimed "dibs" on her long ago. I may even travel in her sometimes. But I have one less ongoing project hanging over my head, and that's the direction I need to go at this stage of my life.

I take it the thread will remain available to those who dig for roof-raising information, even if I am no longer active on the forum.

Thanks a million to all who contributed to The Millicent Chronicles!

Most cordially,
Elliot Naess