Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

The Moist Menace

Shalom,
My name is Alex, and I'm representing a group of seven seniors who want to get a bus. We have found your forum to be quite helpful, and a valuable resource. I just have a few questions that will hopefully get us up and moving. We have found a 1999 international at an Auction, and will most likely be buying it in the near future.

Our plan-
We are looking to install multiple beds and couches (possible hammocks). Small kitchen with a fridge and microwave. A TV would be nice. We are entertaining the idea room storage. We do NOT need plumbing.

I have a few questions, please excuse me if they are another thread.

What are practical ways to build in storage?
Whats the best cheap way to build beds? Bunk beds? I saw a picture of a couch turning into a bunk. I'll post pictures.
What about the best paint to use on the outside? Cost is in serious consideration, so money should be considered in all aspects of this build.
Thank you,
-The Slippery Seven

MoistMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoistMenace View Post
We are looking to install multiple beds and couches (possible hammocks). Small kitchen with a fridge and microwave.
You may need a stove to get retitled as an rv

We do NOT need plumbing.
You may need this too to get titled as an rv.

I have a few questions, please excuse me if they are another thread.
They are in all kinds of other threads

What are practical ways to build in storage? Do you want it to look nice? If not making an over sized shelf for plastic storage totes works.

Whats the best cheap way to build beds? Mattress on the floor duh!

Bunk beds? I guess, I mean those can be done with studs, and foam on the cheap and efficient use of space too

I saw a picture of a couch turning into a bunk. This has been known to happen in most college apartments you can find a device called a futon or a sleeper sofa but you can make one yourself.

I'll post pictures. Please do that.

What about the best paint to use on the outside? Rustolium enamel, because it is cheap and found everywhere.
Cost is in serious consideration, so money should be considered in all aspects of this build.
Thank you,
-The Slippery Seven
I would also suggest you read some build logs like IDK 20 of them that go until completion. As they would have answered a lot of the questions with out me being snarky. I understand your enthusiasm but you have about 30 more hours of reading ahead of you

kids transform a school bus into a “cool bus” (45 Photos) : theCHIVE
https://www.facebook.com/projectmoose4990
those seem up your alley
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
7 seniors with out plumbing I agree with other poster it may be needed to register as rv, bunk beds made from 2x3 lumber would be the best, as for other parts of you build there's lots to read.
A lot really depends on how you are going to use this bus, short, or long trips, live in it full time, once you figure that out it will be easer to answer some of you questions.
gbstewart
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
When I was a submariner, we all had what we called 'Coffin racks.' I've thought about doing something similar for guests on my '92 Mini-Bird.

Basically build a shallow shelving unit, say 2-4" deep, and then use a heavy-duty piano hinge or something similar to attached a cover to the shelf that is also the base for your mattress/futon pad to sleep on.

If you build these using ALL of your available space, you should be able to fit three bunks top-bottom while giving everyone enough room to sit-up, or mostly sit-up in their bunk.

Wiring RV electricity is something you should look around before doing. If you're running LPG appliances for the kitchen, and minimal current draws for the remaining items, you might want to look into investing into a solar system, battery bank, and a sizable inverter--an 1800W inverter can get you roughly the output of a single household 15-Amp 110 VAC circuit. If you're going to want to plug up into an RV outlet places, then you're going to need to invest a bit more in getting the electrical side done up professionally, unless one of you is majoring in electrical engineering or something similar. Either way, if you're expecting to be able to roll up to places and just plug in a 20-Amp 110 VAC extension cord, you'll be sorely disappointed most places.

Most states REQUIRE plumbing to be registered as an RV... but I'd imagine there are a number of states that may be somewhat lax in actually verifying that... Always follow the laws.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

Just wanted to thank everyone for their initial imput! I think those "coffin racks" sound like a good use of space.
In montana to be titled as an R.V. it needs to have four of the following.
1) Cooking, refrigerator or icebox
2) Self-contained toilet
3) Potable water supply system, including a faucet and sink.
4) Heating or air conditioning, or both
5) Separate 110V or 125V electrical power supply or an LP supply or both.

As we are deffinitely not plumbers, we will most likely skip the toilet function. But I saw an idea for a self contained sink that looks possible. My friends dad is an electrition, so we will have him to help us out with wiring a fridge. The bus has heat and ac already. But the other requirement is more of a chalenge. What would we have to do meet this requirement? Really dont want to setup a solar system.
More thinking if we could get the running bus to charge a battery bank. I dont think a mini fridge just holding drinks should take too much power.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

High School/College seniors!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: B700
Engine: 5.9L 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger
I'm not sure that the buses AC/Heat will count as one of those 4 items since you'll be needing it when the bus isn't running, and you won't be able to use it when the bus is off. just my $.02.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
High School/College seniors!
For real, before dons post, I was only imagining 7 70+ year olds...
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I saw someone bus where they had good "cheater" sink + stove. It was a freebie old camper sink with a hand pump that dumped into a 5 gal pail with lid. Only had to work for inspection. And a Coleman or other camp stove would count.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #10

I saw this idea on a bus on craigslist. While i'm not going to be buying this bus, I think this bunk bed idea is really cool.

This all seems like an incredibly functional piece of furniture. Has anybody made something like this before? Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
In my shed everything is hanging from the ribs in the roof.

Bunks, shelves, tools, clothes, ect.

I use chain and cable. I like the look of the chain better.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: Cummins 5.9L IBS6
Rated Cap: 72C 48A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoistMenace View Post
I saw this idea on a bus on craigslist. While i'm not going to be buying this bus, I think this bunk bed idea is really cool.

This all seems like an incredibly functional piece of furniture. Has anybody made something like this before? Any ideas are appreciated.

I've slept in a hanging bed before, woke up in the middle of the night feeling sick. If you put hinges on the part that attaches to the side of the bus, that may prevent a swinging feeling. Just a thought. I sleep in hammocks all the time and that doesn't bother me, but something about moving along 2 axis made for motion sickness. A trundle is something else to think about to save space.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I have two futon bunks in my shuttle. Futons a couch that folds down to a bed big enough for 2 people and single mattress bunk up top. They are cheap and easy although I do recommend buying the extra thick mattress for the couch.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'm intending to design a "4-bar linkage" in mine so that the lower bunk is stationary like the one pictured, and the upper bunk moves on two arms to pivot downward and create a couch back. (the two arms, plus the bunk and its frame, are the four "bars" in the linkage.) If you look at the side profile of a folding chair such as the Clarin 2000S as it moves, it's the same basic idea.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Bus Nut

I will throw this out there when you are tired and want to go to bet you don't really want to make the bed, in this case you literally have to make the bed before you have to dress it.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Ah, thanks dond! I, too, had visions of a group of 7 elderly people making a plan to escape the nursing home... All while shunning household plumbing! The fact that they were referring to themselves as the "slippery seven" was especially troubling..
Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Ah, thanks dond! I, too, had visions of a group of 7 elderly people making a plan to escape the nursing home... All while shunning household plumbing! The fact that they were referring to themselves as the "slippery seven" was especially troubling..
Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
I will throw this out there when you are tired and want to go to bet you don't really want to make the bed, in this case you literally have to make the bed before you have to dress it.
Definitely an important consideration. Initially I had planned to make the front seating area convertible to a bed for myself, but you've identified the reason why that plan changed. The movable bunks in my design will be for the kids; I don't mind them having to make up their own beds when tired! My bed will be at the rear in a perpetual state of readiness so I can park the bus and hit the sack promptly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
You're not the only one. I just kinda breezed past it and figured by the time a person gets to be that age, they tend to be less concerned with keeping up appearances and what others may think!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post

You're not the only one. I just kinda breezed past it and figured by the time a person gets to be that age, they tend to be less concerned with keeping up appearances and what others may think!
Hey..I resemble that comment I just took a shower-----Not the first one either (70 y/o soon)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Hey..I resemble that comment I just took a shower-----Not the first one either (70 y/o soon)
Oops! Erm.. instead of "tend to" I should have written "might" or some such thing.