Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: The Mothership - Our Skoolie Tour Bus

Trans is most likely an AT542 or AT545...4-speed automatic, does NOT lock up in high gear. Not that strong (only rated for, IIRC, 225HP) but very durable. Is it a column shift?

Just letting you know a few things:
1) Figure on 55MPH being about it on the highway, maybe 60.
2) A band bus IS a commercial vehicle! The driver will need proper licence, medical card, and you will NEED to have all the paperwork straight! You will need log books, maybe fuel permits, insurance, etc. If you do not, you can end up in jail! If the GVWR is over 26,000lbs (which I doubt), you will need a class B CDL. If you keep seating for more than 14 people (plus driver) more than, you will need a CDL (class B if over 26,000lbs, class C if under) with a passenger endorsement.

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

look on the plate above driver or pass side for engine, axles and trans type numbers...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

The implications are you are a bunch of buddies on a road trip in a converted skoolie.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think any hassle you guys get will be from someone looking for a reason to bust you. You know... income for the city/county/town/whatever. Keep your nose clean. Do not party in (or on top of) the bus. Do not advertise your band on the bus. Keep the bus as an RV that lets you see the country this summer. If you happen to play a few gigs along the way for gas money, then where's the harm in doing something you love?

That being said, just make sure you're legal as soon as possible. Make a point to challenge each other to earn your CDL so everyone can "legally" drive when you're on tour. The course isn't that difficult, and it has some great information that everyone driving a bus should know.

Hope y'all have fun!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

My understanding is that if you title/register as an RV/Motorhome you don't need a CDL regardless of how large your "RV" is.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Don't forget the penalties for violations with a CDL are much tougher than with a regular dr license. I would tag/title as an RV and do not advertise the band. For lots of reasons. Theft (bands have EXPENSIVE stuff inside), camping (lots of RV parks don't like their customers to do any advertising) idiots on the road (I've known coach people who were almost run off the road by people trying to see what entertainer was in the coach) and "other uses" You may decide to take the bus camping occasionally.

It's kinda like the reasons it's not a good idea to have stuff written all over your fulltiming RV that says things like "home is where we park it" or the well filled in "Where we've been" maps or "protected by Smith & Wesson". Things that indicate you have expensive stuff inside can make you a target.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Guys --- I absolutely agree with Lorna...until you have enough gold records under your belt to afford the full touring entourage thing...lay low. Go the RV route and you won't have to deal with all the State & Federal crap that goes along with a "commercial" rating including every weigh station along your route. Keep it simple, keep'em guessing and keep on truckin'...er..bussin'.

BTW...knew a fellow in Fort Worth who refinished & restored high end antiques. His shop was way at the back of an old warehouse and pretty much out of sight. He constantly had cars & trucks taking up his parking spaces and had been broken into a couple of times. He finally took down the "Fine Woodworking" banner above his door and put up a HUGE number 4 (for his space), tossed out the "Customer Parking Only" signs and replaced them with several moderately sized, but very official looking signs on each of his parking spaces that read..."Parking For Authorized FBI Vehicles & Visitors to Unit #4 Only". Never had another problem with parking or any more break ins.

Just sayin'...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

At 20,500lbs GVWR, it's under the CDL weight cutoff (26,000lbs)...but a band bus IS, REPEAT IS a commercial vehicle. An accident could end up with LOTS of lawyers fighting over every penny you have ever owned and will ever own! A simple police stop might end up with the plates pulled and the driver facing massive fines or even jail time.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

What ever you call it , just register it as an rv. stick a tloiet and rig a sink up in it
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I would not spend the money for a new engine. You certainly could find another bus for way less money than that. You could scrap this bus and make a little money out of it.

I know bands that tour the USA in vans and trailers.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I would guess the first thing would be to see how much money you have either now or in the immediate future for a bus. For example, if you have the 6-8k, you can normally buy a converted or partially converted bus with an drivetrain in good condition. Even the person who posted his mci here a couple of days ago would prob sell his for 6-7k.
As the above post suggests, you might want to use something other than a bus, at least for awhile until you have the funding not only for the bus, but for emergencies as well.
Third, busses like my thomas pusher can frequently be bought for less than 4K, and many of them have road miles instead of spending all their time picking up kids. Mine was a road bus for events, and it had 200K miles and cost me 2800 a couple of yrs ago.
It is also a good idea to get one around 15 yrs old or newer as school districts generally have to sell them by that time.
hope this helps...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

only other thing then big name shop is to find a little guy shop or even some guy that works out of his garage. second option is to use U-ship etc to get someone to haul the bus back home so you can do it or get someone you know to do the repairs.

the bus is a bit over 12 hours driving from where i am.. the wrong side of Montana lol.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

I am not an expert, but I have been involved with buses for a while.

The 1966 GMC is very cool. Kind of pricey though. Also you can expect various parts of it to be worn out now or getting worn out soon

My pick is the 1980 with the DT466 motor. Those are purported to be the best diesel engines out there. The under storage bins are very handy as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Check out Harlows, they are in Whitehall but the head shop is in Bismarck.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The GMC coach hands down-- providing you're not afraid of a wet-sleeved 2-stroke engine.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

From experience, skip the 4107. Sorry but going the coach route is going to be pricey. Parts are expensive and getting rare.
With that said, they are surely the sexy way to go!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

the 4107 is the best buy if you can document the drivetrain mileage...
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

guessing that 80's international. probably find the most parts readily for that one.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

The Birds are almost 20 years newer than the IH, and being flat-fronts, will be MUCH more comfortable, maneuverable, and will probably use less fuel. (The 5.9 Cummins is the mileage champ.) Also, they were in service until recently, are being sold by the bus company, and have full service records! (Note: they are NOT All-Americans. Those are TC2000's.) 176,000 miles isn't that much for a skoolie.

RUN AWAY FROM THE GMC COACH AS FAST AS YOU CAN! IF YOU HAVE TO ASK IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO MAINTAIN ONE, YOU CAN'T!