Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #171
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
So are you cruising in that thing yet? I always like driving them around like a pickup, and your wife would love that for garage sailing. You could bring a busload of "home making things" every weekend.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #172
Skoolie

I'm not driving it until I get it insured and registered, which will be coming shortly.
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #173
Bus Geek

You don't sneak out late at night to fill it up?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #174
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I thought that was you cleaning and painting that defroster unit in the dashboard? Maybe I'm getting my threads crossed.
thats aother thread.. they have a crown / carpenter like mine and repainted all of their deforsters and ductwork...

likely te same thing I'll be doing to mine as those driver consoles are usually a disastrous mess inside...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #175
Skoolie

Robin97396: Not without plates and insurance! I will definitely be taking it out on a midnight cruise once I do though, don't you worry about that.

cadillackid: I've seen several posts where guys dismantle all the driver panels and consoles and must rebuild them, but I've always wondered why. I removed the covers off the front door heater to inspect everything inside and it all checked out, and I couldn't figure out the advantage of removing it, nor the ones next to the driver.

If it's all working then why remove it, especially all the wiring, a task I'd prefer to avoid.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #176
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman6631 View Post
Robin97396: Not without plates and insurance! I will definitely be taking it out on a midnight cruise once I do though, don't you worry about that.

cadillackid: I've seen several posts where guys dismantle all the driver panels and consoles and must rebuild them, but I've always wondered why. I removed the covers off the front door heater to inspect everything inside and it all checked out, and I couldn't figure out the advantage of removing it, nor the ones next to the driver.

If it's all working then why remove it, especially all the wiring, a task I'd prefer to avoid.

the door units are usually in pretty good shape... but many times the driver console units are not..

driver windows are often left open, and in northern climates bus driver Boots with snow and salt cause for a lot of rust on the bottom of the driver console.. so taking it out and repairing that is a huge help..

also the driver unit has an outside air intake.. this leaves it susceptible to dirt, critters, etc.. which will plug up the heater core (s) inside of it.. as well as get into the motors and make the fan motors and fan wheels nasty..

-Christopher
Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #177
Skoolie

Fair enough, I was going to at least inspect the driver side as well, hopefully it won't be too trashed.

I did have a bit of a look when I removed the rear heater and capped off the heater tubing that went rearward to it. It wasn't "too" bad but then again I couldn't see much.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #178
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman6631 View Post
Fair enough, I was going to at least inspect the driver side as well, hopefully it won't be too trashed.

I did have a bit of a look when I removed the rear heater and capped off the heater tubing that went rearward to it. It wasn't "too" bad but then again I couldn't see much.
you may not have to disassemble the whole thing.. plus on many busses (at least dognose... flat fronts are different it seems).. you can take apart the heater and the wiring / switch console can remain intact.. so it isnt quite as daunting knowing you dont have to mess with that rats nest..

some people like to tear into that wring console to yank out any disabled-circuits.. (which usually gives you available fused circuits to use for things in your conversion).. ie take out the stop sign, school lights, strobe, etc wiring... the circuit for the school lights is usually a pretty heavy one..

-Christopher
Old 05-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #179
Skoolie

Right, and that makes sense. For me, tearing into the harness is pretty daunting, but granted, if those systems aren't being used then I'm all for taking them out, provided I could figure it out of course!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #180
Bus Geek

I've got some of those large cheap kinds of hot sauce. I think I'll find a sprayer for it if it's not to fibrous to pump through the sprayer. So far they're just eating seeds on top of the cummins for some reason, which immediately vibrate off. No signs of mice in the living area, but they've gotten into every heating system I brought out here until the Impala, which apparently had a screen to keep out rodents. This '97 I'm hoping has some built in rodent control but I know that's not likely. I sure do hate turning on a fan and getting a big cloud of dried mouse pee.