Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #181
Skoolie

Are you sure that wasn't meant for another thread?
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #182
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman6631 View Post
Right, and that makes sense. For me, tearing into the harness is pretty daunting, but granted, if those systems aren't being used then I'm all for taking them out, provided I could figure it out of course!

the best way is to start at the switch and follow the wire from there.. you know what the switches do since they are labelled.. if you are extremely lucky your bus will having wiring diagram on the inside of the electrical console.. but thats really lucky.. its definitely something to take nice and slow thats for sure and take Lots of pictures AND notes...

so if you end up nuking something you want to keep then you have a fighting chance at getting it back...

when I built the custom A/C for my last bus I removed all the old school wiring and accidentilly yanked some wires for the cab lights on top of the bus.. luckily I had lots of pictures and notes so I didnt lose a crazy amount of time on it..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:43 PM   #183
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Decal remove:
I used pure citrus air freshener and a 1" puddy knife to get my stickers and decals off without scratching or chipping paint.

The air freshener was $4.70 and had the some of the same active agents as paint thinners. It was a wonderful suggestion from the Auto Zone lady.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #184
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
And now your bus is citrusy fresh too.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:44 AM   #185
Mini-Skoolie

Try Goo Gone for decal removal. Its an orange/citrus-based cleaner, but it works pretty well.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #186
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Decal remove:
I used pure citrus air freshener and a 1" puddy knife to get my stickers and decals off without scratching or chipping paint.

The air freshener was $4.70 and had the some of the same active agents as paint thinners. It was a wonderful suggestion from the Auto Zone lady.
I'm sanding my whole bus, so I just sanded the decals right off. Quick and easy.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #187
Skoolie

Goo Gone, which I use all the time, didn't do anything on these decals. When I say they were stubborn I mean they were realllllly stubborn. I sanded for a while too but that actually didn't work well at all. The paper just removed the paint around the decals and left the decals pretty much alone.

They're pretty cool though, as far as decal materials go anyway. Maybe this is common but during the day they are black, but when hit with headlights at night they reflect yellow back just like regular safety reflector material. It's almost a shame to have to remove them!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #188
Skoolie

Thanks cadillackid, a thorough methodology is very important. I have already cut into the harness by removing the inside dome lights during the tear down and the running lights for paint prep. I'd still have to cut them with the roof raise coming but I am a little concerned since I didn't label them. Need to get on that!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #189
Skoolie

The main question I have right now to anybody who will listen is if I should replace the batteries.

Even after a full night of charging, which did get the volts up to where they should be, the CCA of each is about half of the rated 700CCAs (700CCA seems low to me anyway).

Should I just replace them already or do they have more life? I "think" they are about 5 years old.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #190
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman6631 View Post
The main question I have right now to anybody who will listen is if I should replace the batteries.

Even after a full night of charging, which did get the volts up to where they should be, the CCA of each is about half of the rated 700CCAs (700CCA seems low to me anyway).

Should I just replace them already or do they have more life? I "think" they are about 5 years old.
Maybe buy new starter batteries but add them to your inverter bank? Or wire it so you can substitute them when your deep cycle batteries are low?
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote