Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you have a Rural King nearby they have batteries CHEAP.
Mine have been stone reliable for like 2 years now. I start it every month or two. G31's were $75 when I bought mine.
wow! I never even heard of rural king.. turns out there are several in ohio within an hour from my home.. are they similar to a tractor supply or a quality farm and fleet?

I have no idea what shape my batteries are in.. I do know they are stil ldecent but ill have them tested for sure.. but with ohio winters and no glow plugs or grid.. im going to be sure to want strong batteries

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #202
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wow! I never even heard of rural king.. turns out there are several in ohio within an hour from my home.. are they similar to a tractor supply or a quality farm and fleet?

I have no idea what shape my batteries are in.. I do know they are stil ldecent but ill have them tested for sure.. but with ohio winters and no glow plugs or grid.. im going to be sure to want strong batteries

-Christopher
They're like Tractor Supply but WAY better pricing on a lot of the stuff, and way more selection. Ours is HUGE inside. I got 5 gal jugs of 15w40 for my bus for like $30 on sale, man. Can't beat em for buying oils, fluids, or batteries. Every bus owner should check em out.
The batteries I've gotten from them have been EXCELLENT, especially for the price. 2 years of infrequent starting and only a 90 amp alternator and my batteries are holding up perfectly.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #203
Skoolie

Thanks, I've never heard of Rural King but I'll see if I can find them.
Jman6631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #204
Skoolie

Thanks to EastCoastCB's tip on another thread I picked some catalyst to add to my Valspar (similar to rustoleum but tintable) at Tractor Supply, my first time there, and it worked beautifully.

I went ahead and used the full container to the gallon. It was a little late to start, 5pm, but I enlisted my kids and we went for it.

I ended up painting until 10pm so that I wouldn't waste any. With the outside done I still had about a quart left so I moved inside and used the rest on the interior framing and panels until I ran out. As advertised it went on very smooth and set up well. It needed to because I was getting rain overnight and I needed it done.

This morning I took a look at it and for a first coat it really looks good. It laid down very smooth and the flat area we rollered ended up with just enough of that nice, subtle texture while the rub rails that we brushed on looked smooth as glass.

The pic is hard to judge in the rain and low light but it's not bad at all. It still needs to be a bit darker and browner for our taste but I can definitely live with the really high quality finish as the base coat.

GREAT stuff!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #205
Skoolie

I need to quickly - and easily - add 110v power to pass registration inspection and insurance. Have an inverter from my passenger car and was thinking about just wiring that into the bus temporarily. Without a cigarette socket in the bus can anyone recommend a fast path to hooking this thing up just for the inspections?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #206
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
2 things,

#1 - I told you to replace those d@mn batteries NORTON!!!!

#2 You have a harbor freight close by? http://http://www.harborfreight.com/...ter-66817.html

it has the clips you can just clamp onto the posts of the coach batteries for a temp use. (I'd find a way to cover the lines to the battery compartment though!)

Looking good!

-Doc
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #207
Skoolie

Ha! Yeah, the existing batts will get replaced soon.

Until then do you mean clamp this inverter onto the existing soon-to-be-replaced engine batteries just for the dog-n-pony show? Meaning, they'll do double duty just for the inspection?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #208
Bus Nut

Yeah, why not? Does the regulation say you have to have seperate coach and starter batteries??? I'd do it in a second! Build a small cabinet on the floor, run the wire down to the battery, clamp on, screw the inverter to the side of the cabinet, plug in your cell phone, and show them it works!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #209
Bus Nut

if you really want to get fancy, put an inline switch on it so you can turn it off and on when you "need" it.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #210
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Awesome stuff man, glad its working out.

Rustoleum IS tintable, FWIW though. Valspar and Rustoleum are pretty much the same thing, just different labels. I think they're even made by the same parent company.